Author Topic: LCP pocket carry ?  (Read 14886 times)

CGinWI

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LCP pocket carry ?
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Hello,
I'll start by saying I live in WI where we don't have CCW. Yet !!

I'm looking at a Ruger LCP for carry when we do get CCW.
My question is, I've always carried a pocket clip style knife in my
right jeans pocket, I'm thinking thats going to be a problem with a LCP
in the same pocket. Should I switch where I put my knife ? or carry the LCP
in my left pocket ? or Carry in the right pocket and not worry about the LCP being there ?
I use my knife alot through out the day and don't plan on moving the gun ?

What do you guys think ?
I'm I thinking to much about ?

CG

tombogan03884

Re: LCP pocket carry ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
I carry a Kel Tec, which is basically the same pistol in my right front pocket. The knife has to move. In cargo pants the knife goes in the right cargo pocket, in jeans it goes in the back pocket with the blade against the seam to prevent accidental opening.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 494
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »
I use my knife a lot to and it is clipped in my right front pocket  My Taraus goes in my back pocket in a blackhawk inside-the-pocket holster.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 956
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
My lcp is in a leather pocket holster with a print pad in the right front pocket and my knife is clipped at the very rear of the same pocket.  In normal daily carry and practice I have had no problem with them both in the same pocket.  I can even remove the holstered gun frome either dress slacks or jeans without removing the knife first.

My bigger issue is that I carry two magazines and a surefire in the left front pocket.  I need to find a better way to carry either the magazines or the light.  It is too bulky with them all in the same pocket.

I chose the placement for the following reasons:

Right pocket - gun or knife in strong hand for fight.  I will use one or the other, but not both at the same time;

Left pocket - magazines will be used at the same time as the gun, and the light will be used at the same time as either the gun or the knife;

Right hip - IWB holster with Government 1911

Right rear pocket - this is where I used to carry the lcp, but I learned from watching a show the downside of small of the back carry and figured I was handicapping myself the same way with a back pocket draw.

Beside the bulk the only down side to the left pocket contents is that for fist reinforcement I need to transfer the light from one hand to the other, but that is minor when I consider the primary needs of all items.

Note:  My current knife is a three inch and is carried point down.  I prefer point up, but I need to save the pennies to buy the nice Spyderco that I am drooling over.  I actually also need to get to a Spyderco booth somewhere to handle a few models and pick the one I want.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
Note:  My current knife is a three inch and is carried point down.  I prefer point up, but I need to save the pennies to buy the nice Spyderco that I am drooling over.  I actually also need to get to a Spyderco booth somewhere to handle a few models and pick the one I want.

M58 see you at the NRA Convention in Pittsburgh. You can try out all sorts of knives there. That's the best place to shop IMHO.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:09:18 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 956
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »
M58 see you at the NRA Convention in Pittsburgh. You can try out all sorts of knives there. That's the best place to shop IMHO.

I'd love to, but job change has not been good financially, and with all the travel that goes with it I'm always in the wrong place  :'(  My next two trips out of state are Vegas in March and Manitoba May 1st to 7th.  I had hoped for SHOT, but once again it got preempted by business as well.

I love the internet for basic research, but online shopping has destroyed the dealerships that used to have and even know about tools like this.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
I also have the P3AT Kel-Tec .380, sometimes, I carry it in my back pocket, strong side, and my clip knife can remain. Others, I pocket carry the pistol, and switch the knife to the right side.

Depends on attire, however, the trick is to rotate options. My KT also has an inside belt clip attachment that works in similar fashion as a pocket knife, but in an IWB set up.

There is no particular right/wrong setup. I moved the knife, or moved my wallet. Keep the pistol on your strong side, whether front pocket or back, and you should find a happy medium between.

Hope WI gets CC soon, it's been a long time coming. I miss those Pulaski and Oconto girls... ::)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:22:51 PM »
http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/belt-clip-fits-p-32-or-p-3at/

Ruger does not seem to offer this for the LCP.
The Kel Tec version MAY fit.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
I carry the LCP in front right pocket in a Desantis pocket holster. My Kershaw knife is in the back right pocket, next to the wallet, blade against the seam.

OK, I USED to carry that way, until I got stupid and let my CCW lapse.  >:( Have the new paperwork, will be sending it in soon.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »
I carry a G-26 either IWB or in the right frot pocket. Believe it or not, you don't notice it. Even in "relaxed fit" jeans,it prints as something, but not "gun". In dockers it dissapears, an LCP wil do an even better job. The Spyderco delica is in the LH pocket with the cell and keys (led light on the chain). With a spyderco, or other one handed opener, the LH opening is effortless with very little practice, just do it for a while while watching TV.
Good luck.
FQ13

PS M58 ebay the knife. I got my delica for $27 from kysurpls.com, an ebay store (you have to find them from ebay, not google).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk