Author Topic: The 10mm  (Read 17463 times)

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 10mm
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
Jeff Quinn has an article on the 10mm at gunblast.com. I have been intrigued with this caliber, but have never owned one, or even shot one for that matter. Not too many guns made anymore in this caliber. We sell the EAA in 10mm for $398. Glock is out of the question for me, as I hate them. I need another caliber to reload for like I need a hole in the head, but I keep thinking I need one! :mrgreen: I view it as the .41 Magnum of auto pistols. Like the .41, not too many guns made anymore in the caliber, and it has somewhat of a "cult" following. Well, I love my .41 Mag, therefore I would have to love the 10mm, right???? Any of you guys have one?

http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htm
Life Member of the NRA

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
Re: The 10mm
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
I've owned a few over the years and still have my Delta Elite. I used to hog hunt with a 6.5" 10mm barrel in my Glock 21 and it hit like a ton of bricks. I got rid of most of my 10's a few years ago since I don't reload and ammo was getting harder to find and the factory loads were being toned down. Now more companies are making factory ammo again and putting out some hotter loads. I've actually been toying with the idea of picking up a 10mm Witness. I like the platform and own a Witness 9 and compact 45 already. The one thing on 10mm is I'd stay to a full sized pistol with at least a 4.5" barrel. I wouldn't want a 10mm conversion for my 45 Witness compact. One the recoil can be pretty stout, nothing uncontrollable but you can tell the difference between a 45 and a 10. I think the round just needs the barrel length to generate the power more than some other pistol rounds from my past experience.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Buzzcut

• NRA Life Member
  • Forum Member
  • Life is to short to be taken seriously
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »
I have a Glock 20  and I love it. The round has power and I consider the recoil average at most of course I think the same of a 45 hard recoil for me doesn't start till 50 AE. On aside note don't know how validate but on one of the shooting shows on outdoor channel, not one of MB's shows, during a interview with Jeff Cooper he stated that the 10mm at 50 yrds has the same energy as a 4' barreled 357 mag does at the muzzle.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
The delta elite has been on my wish list for a long time. They still make one model.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
EDC GLOCK 29 and also own a 20
Love them both to pieces.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:17:07 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
Jeff Quinn has an article on the 10mm at gunblast.com. I have been intrigued with this caliber, but have never owned one, or even shot one for that matter. [b ] note #1 Not too many guns made anymore in this caliber. We sell the EAA in 10mm for $398. Glock is out of the question for me, as I hate them.[/b] I need another caliber to reload for like I need a hole in the head, but I keep thinking I need one! :mrgreen: note #2 I view it as the .41 Magnum of auto pistols. Like the .41, not too many guns made anymore in the caliber, and it has somewhat of a "cult" following. Well, I love my .41 Mag, therefore I would have to love the 10mm, right???? Any of you guys have one?

http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htm

#1  Glock G-20 and a compact (forget the number )
      Colt Delta Elite
      Bren Ten   (Efforts have been under way for years to restart production, I do not know the current status )
     EAA  Witness 10
     S&W makes a Revolver and I think a semi auto for 10MM but again I forget the model numbers
     Olympic Arms produces an AR upper for 10 MM
     HK produced a version of the MP-5 in 10 MM
#2 Yes, a round powerful enough for hand gun hunting that never took off the way it should have, but will never die due to it's faithful cult following.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »
I own and love my Glock 20, not at 1st, but now as I have started building my own loads, it gets better and better, I also owned a S&W 610, shot like a laser from day 1, only problem, so does my model 57 revolver .41 mag, to me, the enchantment with the 10mm, is 15 rounds or more, the old saying, one gun, or one handgun, the Glock 20 is hard to beat, accurate enough to headshoot small game, flat enough trajectory to keep someones head down at 100 yards easy, 2 guns, then the 20 may not be my choice at all. I really like the idea of a 10mm upper for my AR. I really think the 10 shines with handloads.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
It is kind of the .357 of auto loaders. It really is the perfect cartrige in that it is good for both SD and hunting. Sadly, it didn't catch on like it should have. I almost bought a G20 rather than a G17 as my first "real" pistol. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't, but that's only due to ammo cost and availability. Personally, if you can afford to feed it or reload, I'd buy one. Sadly I can't do either, but honestly its one of those calibers that I can't think of a single bad thing to say about except for the price of ammo.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »
A guy I work with was running down the 10mm, said the ammo was difficult to find, (in local shops yes, in major retailers or on line no  )  hard to find brass, (Cabela's, Midway, even Sportsmans guide )  to expensive, (about the same as .45 ACP maybe 10% higher ) and bound to die out due to lack of interest.
I gave him my most innocent look and asked "Oh, like 38 Super and 41 Mag did ?"   ;D

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »
Had a DE in 10 and didn't like it at all so I sold it.  I'm not recoil shy because I shoot .45 @ 185 pf no problem in a Colt LW officers as well as other 1911's.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk