Author Topic: The 10mm  (Read 17448 times)

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 10mm
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
Jeff Quinn has an article on the 10mm at gunblast.com. I have been intrigued with this caliber, but have never owned one, or even shot one for that matter. Not too many guns made anymore in this caliber. We sell the EAA in 10mm for $398. Glock is out of the question for me, as I hate them. I need another caliber to reload for like I need a hole in the head, but I keep thinking I need one! :mrgreen: I view it as the .41 Magnum of auto pistols. Like the .41, not too many guns made anymore in the caliber, and it has somewhat of a "cult" following. Well, I love my .41 Mag, therefore I would have to love the 10mm, right???? Any of you guys have one?

http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htm

I do not have personal experience with the EAA Witness in 10mm.  I have read a lot about them because I was thinking about getting one as well due to the price.  I haven't yet done it because it seems to have issues in this caliber.  The problems include cracked frames at the ejection port/above the trigger guard around the mag well and rail issues.  However, it still is an interesting pistol because you can also buy different slides with new calibers.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
I believe there is a "re-issue" of the Bren Ten,   aka, the Sonny Crockett edition,....it's here in the archives pretty recently as to which manufacturer is picking it up.

Fantastic caliber,.....I still wonder why the .40 got the glory,....(and I own several .40's),....I had a 1995 S&W Model 411,

Trijicon Sights Wolff Spings,,...great action,...very accurate,... however,.would not shoot without a mag,...but it was a Clinton AWB gen. :-\ But was still a great pistol. The 2nd and 3rd gens,...led to the M+P...bypassing the Sigma fiasco.

Either way, the 10mm is what the .40 and .357 Sig,....compromised over... I do have an EAA Witness Compact in .40 with ported barrel and slide, and except for the two story tall rear sight, it's a great pistol.

The 10mm is a great round. Too bad it didn't take off in the mainstream firearms market. Although, a loyal cult following is a plus.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »
Its not just the Clinton guns with mag safeties. My old Hi-Power has one too. I don't know why Browning thought they were a good idea back in the day. I can only guess that either A) if you're a cop wrestling for a gun it lets you safe it before its taken or B) It wil theoretically (stressing the theory part) prevent any sort of "oops I thought it was empty" scenarios. Either way, I don't want one on an SD pistol any more than I want an external safety (which is why I carry a Glock rather than the Browning).
FQ13

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »
A Glock 20 (or 29, I swapped back and forth but think I have settled on a 20) has been on my short list for a while now.  I'm wanting something stronger than my 9mm to carry when I'm in the field.  I originally was wanting a larger caliber revolver but got to thinking a 10mm would do the job just as well.  Plus, it handles just like my other Glocks and uses my existing holsters.  As soon as I can afford/talk myself into my next purchase, I will either be buying a 10mm or an AR.  That is unless something else sneaks in first.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
10 mm is a great round.  only real prob with it is if you load it to max, no hand gun can take the beating for long.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:29:07 PM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »
I believe there is a "re-issue" of the Bren Ten,   aka, the Sonny Crockett edition,....it's here in the archives pretty recently as to which manufacturer is picking it up.

Fantastic caliber,.....I still wonder why the .40 got the glory,....(and I own several .40's),....I had a 1995 S&W Model 411,

Trijicon Sights Wolff Spings,,...great action,...very accurate,... however,.would not shoot without a mag,...but it was a Clinton AWB gen. :-\ But was still a great pistol. The 2nd and 3rd gens,...led to the M+P...bypassing the Sigma fiasco.

Either way, the 10mm is what the .40 and .357 Sig,....compromised over... I do have an EAA Witness Compact in .40 with ported barrel and slide, and except for the two story tall rear sight, it's a great pistol.

The 10mm is a great round. Too bad it didn't take off in the mainstream firearms market. Although, a loyal cult following is a plus.
VLTOR is (supposedly) making the new Bren Ten. I'm on the contact list for updates which haven't happened for almost a year now. They have been working on the project publicly for almost 3 years now. It was announced at either the 2008 or 2009 Shot Show. They initially had casting issues that have supposedly been corrected and the excuse they've been running with for a while now is that due to their government contracts they simply had to backburner the project. I hope that's all it is and as bad as I want one I'd rather see our troops getting quality hardware first. Incidentally this reincarnation of the Bren Ten is designed to use The 10mm Witness magazines. Anyone who had an original Bren Ten knows the magazines were the weak link (and sold for over $250 ea. at the time I got rid of my Bren). I always regretted selling mine but I had it for around 7 years and made almost 3k in profit selling it. At the time I really needed the money so I can't complain but do want one of the new ones.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
STI also offers several of their 1911's in 10MM

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:04 AM »
STI also offers several of their 1911's in 10MM
Most of the custom & semi-custom builders like Wilson, Knighthawk and others do as well.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
I would really like to have a Glock 20 or a 1911 frame 10mm. Right now it just does not seem feasible and tombogan is right about not getting ammo in the local gun shop. I do not reload so that would put me at a serious disadvantage.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »
I would really like to have a Glock 20 or a 1911 frame 10mm. Right now it just does not seem feasible and tombogan is right about not getting ammo in the local gun shop. I do not reload so that would put me at a serious disadvantage.

the best thing is to buy a Glock 21 and pick up a 10mm barrel and a couple mags. This way you can shoot mostly 45 but switch to 10 for occasional fun. I've got a 6.5" ported 10mm barrel I put in my G21 for woods use.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk