Author Topic: 300 Blackout  (Read 15175 times)

tombogan03884

Re: 300 Blackout
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »
Like I said, I prefer the AR's drop free mags over rocking in the AK mags.
That's why they make different guns .  ;D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 01:53:27 AM »
I think you misunderstood me Tom. I'm not going to buy a 7.62x39 upper, I'm going to buy an AK. It will save money and avoid problems in the long run. ARs don't run 7.62x39 well, and why have 1 gun with two uppers when you can have 2 guns for the same money?
FQ13

Slight typographical error there.  Fixed it for ya.   ;)

Trade in the AR, mags, ammo, and any associated accessories, walk out with two AMD-65s and a case of ammo without taking a penny outta your pocket.   8)

Then you just gotta learn to shoot with one in each hand!  

Badgersmilk

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:12 AM »
Like I said, I prefer the AR's drop free mags over rocking in the AK mags.
That's why they make different guns .  ;D

Only problem with drop free mags is the one time the chips are down, and your expecting it to "drop free"...  Have you met Mr. Murphy and discussed his law?  He has an entire library dedicated to ARs you know.

If your in the habit of pulling the empty's out.  No worries.   ;)

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
Only problem with drop free mags is the one time the chips are down, and your expecting it to "drop free"... Have you met Mr. Murphy and discussed his law?  He has an entire library dedicated to ARs you know.

If your in the habit of pulling the empty's out.  No worries.   ;)

Dude, I've been working in machine sops for the last 25 years.    ::)
Thing is, when someone or something is trying to kill you the straight pull on an AR mag will be closer to your capabilities than the more complex maneuver needed to to change AK mags every time. (remember also, sometimes things go right  ;D  )

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
This seems to be a slight improvement to the .300 Whisper.

I believe this was the basis for the round.....to improve on the Whisper. From what I gather, in an AR, just change out the barrel, or the entire upper if you have a complete upper. As far as I can see, it looks like it works well in standard AR mags, which was one reason for development due to 7.63x39 being unreliable in AR mags because of the taper of the case wall.

*As a side note as it applies to my OP regarding this round in a bolt-gun, several of the guys I deal with on a semi-regular basis are the type that will/can change a bolt action barrel at the drop of a hat. They shoot on a team and carry a barrel vise with them. It is not uncommon for a couple of them to change barrels to do a caliber swap at any given time. I guess it helps to have a competent riflesmith and national champion Camp Perry competitor like John Whidden on your shooting team.   ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:59:52 AM »

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
I've been running a 300aac (Blackout) for a few months now. I re-barreled one of my AR's, 15 minutes and up and running. It does use any regular AR magazine since the round is basically just a necked up 5.56 case. It feeds and functions flawlessly and is a beast within 200 yards. I've actually recently decided to get rid of my Grendel's and go to 300aac as my secondary caliber. The factory ammunition is pretty prevalent now with Remington, Hornady and others putting out multiple loads for it. If I lived out west or somewhere I could take advantage of the long range abilities of the Grendel I would've kept them but in Florida where most of my shots are inside of 100yds the 300 makes more sense.

I did learn something with it though, as a hog hunting round any shots inside of 75yds or so need to be a head shot. I took a quartering shot on a smallish (125lbs or so) hog from about 60yds and the only thing that was still edible was the left shoulder, right ham and about 7 inches of backstrap. It left a wound track big enough to put my arm through. That was with the 125gr OTM round. The cool thing is there's factory ammo available from 110gr to 220gr. The only comparable wound I've ever seen on a hog was a .454 casul from about 15ft. I was looking at going to a .308 AR platform but I'll stick to bolt rifles in .308 and keep the blackout as my mid-range round.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
Very nice to get some "end-user" info from you, bafsu.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
Very nice to get some "end-user" info from you, bafsu.

Outside of the obvious ballistics and the potential for a suppressor what I like the best is the fact that it uses standard AR mags (I've made all my 300aac mags foliage p-mags with a thin red stripe on them) and standard AR/M16 bolt and bolt carrier. No need to stock extra bolts in a different caliber, I can throw any BCG I have in and keep going. A guy I shoot with has done some testing and his blackout with a 10.5" barrel is running through the chrono at almost the same exact speed with the Remington 150gr factory load as most of the 147gr stuff he's putting through a 16" AK. that makes me want to SBR a blackout very soon.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
Outside of the obvious ballistics and the potential for a suppressor what I like the best is the fact that it uses standard AR mags (I've made all my 300aac mags foliage p-mags with a thin red stripe on them) and standard AR/M16 bolt and bolt carrier. No need to stock extra bolts in a different caliber, I can throw any BCG I have in and keep going. A guy I shoot with has done some testing and his blackout with a 10.5" barrel is running through the chrono at almost the same exact speed with the Remington 150gr factory load as most of the 147gr stuff he's putting through a 16" AK. that makes me want to SBR a blackout very soon.

Interesting, indeed.

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
Yea, that's the problem with most SBR's in 5.56. It gets so anemic when the barrel gets any shorter than 14". I'm glad when I did my SBR stamps I registered the calibers as multi. As soon as I get the chance and cash for another barrel I'm going to break one of my rifles down and swap out the barrels. I'll probably do it to my Diplomat because even though the 7.5" AR looks really cool the ballistics of a 7.5" 5.56 are a joke. I think I'll put on a 10.5" blackout barrel in its place. My other SBR AR has a 12.5" so I'll leave it alone for now.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk