Author Topic: 357SIG... Any real advantage?  (Read 11335 times)

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: 357SIG... Any real advantage?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »
I just prefer to have all original guns. I'm one of those people that won't change things on my car -  I'm just weird.

Maybe traditionalist would be a better word.  ;)

I love changing things on guns.
My Rem 700 was rebuilt by a benchrester/machinist. (amazing rifle!) If you have never shot a rifle with a Jewell trigger DON'T. You will want more of them.
My 308 R-25 has a Timney trigger and is still at Krieger getting its new barrel. 2 out 3 SIGS have had the NP3 "Norton Special" done by Robar, (they also did a trigger job on the 220 that I really want on the 225 & 226 now).
All but one S&W revo have had trigger jobs by Nelson Ford who also did the 1911 trigger jobs.

I won't spend money on engraving but a better trigger and/or a no maintenance finish, OH YEAH!  ;D
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
the 357 sig is just a sissy 9x25 dillon.

Other then for the "cool" factor I can see no reason for owning a gun in that chambering.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:46:04 AM »
the 357 sig is just a sissy 9x25 dillon.

Other then for the "cool" factor I can see no reason for owning a gun in that chambering.

Cool factor is a valid reason.  ;D

garand4life

• Top Forum Member
    • My Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I liked the podcast of Massad Ayoob taking about the .357SIG. it seems there is a lot of valid points for it being a good cartridge for self defense. I might have to get one at some point. Thanks for the input all.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"If you know your enemy is bringing a gun to the fight, bring 2..."
http://www.youtube.com/natetinstman  -
Save $10 on your NRA membership by going to http://garand4life.wordpress.com

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »
One guy told me his .357 SIG was the most accurate pistol he had. That would be a good reason to own one, but I like .45s.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:47:49 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »
Cool factor is a valid reason.  ;D

never said it wasn't, but I'd rather own a 9x25 dillon...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 04:01:15 PM »
If I am correct the New Mexico State Police adopted the Glock in .357 Sig? Another State Patrol was looking at it but cannot remember who?

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
The Texas Dept of Public Safety carries glocks in 357 sig. Not sure what model gun it is.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
Heck if yer lookin fer a real screamer cartridge that penetrates like all get out and is fun to shoot....

Get a TOK 7.62 x 25.

Out penetrates a .357 mag!

Cheap to buy ammo and gun.  Fer $500 you can have the gun and a couple thousand rounds.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
Just curious G4life, why?
Everything, springs, mags, etc. is the same except for the chambering. I can't think of an easier conversion than a barrel switch.
The only reason I haven't picked up a Storm Lake barrel for my 23 is I'd rather spend $173 on other stuff.

Find out the 357 SIG load the Air Marshalls use.

Overpenetration problems can be controlled by,
1. Really slow velocity in heavy for caliber bullets.
2. Really high velocity in light for caliber JHP bullets.
Federal Air Marshalls supposedly use Cor-Bon Power Ball 125gr rated at 1600fps or nearly 150fps faster than the same weight 357mag powerball. It's supposedly so fast it will fragment on any hard surface but still has very good soft tissue penetration. I don't have any issues finding 357 sig ammo, it's thick on the shelf at my local wally world for about the same price as comparable 40/45 rds and the range I go to sells reloads just like every other common caliber. I'm selling my 357 Sig 239 because I don't want to stock another caliber. If I still had 40's I'd keep it but I've only got 9 & 45. I'd get a 40 barrel and shoot it for practice and fun and carry a super hot 357sig load for defense. I figure I carry a J-frame .357mag now and the Sig 239 gives the same ballistics in a slightly larger size/weight pistol with 3 more rounds and faster reloads. Not a bad power to weight ratio but I still have mine for sale.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk