Author Topic: Small hands needs  (Read 8235 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 956
Small hands needs
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
Looking for more advice on a semi-auto for small hands.  This isn't a problem I have, but the wife and son both do.

The M&P is too large (even with the smallest backstrap).  The LC9 fits better, but the gun is so light the recoil is not appreciated by the bride.

I'm looking to stay with 9mm, but fit and reliability is the most important.  I'd like to try the older generation Glocks, but haven't been able to find any handy.

Suggestions of what to try when we hit the range.

Thanks
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

Re: Small hands needs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »
2 words, single stack.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »
Three more, Browning Hi-Power. Its not the slimmest thing out there, but its darn close. Its is a 1911 clone so the drawbacks of an external safety apply. Its also got a #$$%^ magazine disconnect safety, and they aren't exactly giving the guns away, but I'd trust my life to one any day of the week, and they are tack drivers and fun to shoot. Failing that, if its a case of seriously small hands the kel tec PF9 in 9mm (not pretty, but reliable) or the LadySmith in .38 are worth a look.
FQ13

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »
some of the 3rd gen smiths had very small grips.  plus you can most likly pick up LEO trade in.

while not exactly a single stack, they have a very narrow off set.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:55:52 AM »
I have small hands and even the 1st gen. Glock seem clunky big to me.  Several people do grip reductions but they cost$$$$.  That being said, I am looking for one anyway.  Also, I compete with a Para P14 and have recently purchased a M&P...go figure.  Now to your question.  The SA EMP9 is pricy but slightly scaled down SS.  It has a few sharp points that can be addressed (grips mostly).  Speaking of grips...it comes in 2 versions...the grips being the only difference.  One is thicker than the other and does make a difference.  The HP is another option.  I also like the feel of the original Colt Series 70 and yes they did make it in 9mm but they are hard to find.  Maybe the bigger Kahr models.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:00:06 PM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:34 AM »
Does the new Colt Mustang come in 9mm?  I think it is all (or mostly) steel so it weighs more.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:01:26 AM »
I'm hoping the Beretta Nano will fit my daughter's hand...and...she can control it.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:24:46 AM »
The Ruger SR9 has a fairly slim grip.  And the triggers don't suck nearly as bad as they used to.   ;D

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
My daughter has small hands as well and she prefers a double stack Sig P228.  She doesn't carry it much, if at all though! 

Go figure!

cdcasey

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
You also might wanna look at a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm.  4" Bull Barrel, single stack, and msrp $850 so not one that will totally break the bank.  Definitely a tack driver!  I have one and it eats any kind of ammo I feed it so you don't even have to worry about it being picky that way either.  FWIW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk