Author Topic: Range Report: Ruger LCP *Problems*  (Read 24411 times)

Solid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Range Report: Ruger LCP *Problems*
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
Called them twice today (morning and afternoon) both times they shrugged me off and said, "We'll have a technician call you." 

Tomorrow I'll ask for a mailer and a refund >:(

Ron J

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
Reminds of the lyrics to an old David Bowie song, “When they’re good they’re really good …when they’re bad they go to pieces”.

There have been enough strong if not rave reviews of the LCP to give Ruger ONE LAST chance to make it right.  Ruger has a strong rep for customer service and for making guns that are damn near indestructible (provided it’s not a triple charge in a 41 mag).

I were to bet, I would think that this time they will get it right.   

Solid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
Talked to them today and again they said someone would have to call me back. I then politely explained that they had told me that yesterday and then described the issue. The rep said she would give the info to her supervisor.

Hopefully I can get rid of my lemon. Either way the gun is going for sale. I'll get a JFrame, SP101, or PM9/MK9.

Ron J

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 02:10:17 PM »
Can't say I blame you.  A carry gun that you doubt is one I doubt you should carry. 

I am in the market for a more convenient gun to carry than my SIG P220.  Not too interested in the Ruger or other small "bugs".  Not a fan of the internal lock on the S&W J frames.  Thought about the Ruger but it's a bit big for what it is suppose to be.  Won't buy a Kahr even though they are very fine handguns because of their connection to Rev. Moon and the Unification Church.  Trying to like the Glock 26 but it feels like a chalk eraser in my hand.  Seems like I always end back up with a SIG P239 at the top of the list. 

May flip a coin between the Glock 26 and the SIG P239.

Jkwas

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Jkwas
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  You might want to try the Keltec P3AT.  I have one going on over a year
and it has been solid and reliable.  All the teething problems have apparently been worked out.  I can understand
if you're turned off to the concept of the small pocket .380, and if so then you should go with an airweight revolver
if you don't feel comfortable with one.   Hope it all works out. 

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 10:56:39 PM »

Solid

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  You might want to try the Keltec P3AT.  I have one going on over a year
and it has been solid and reliable.  All the teething problems have apparently been worked out.  I can understand
if you're turned off to the concept of the small pocket .380, and if so then you should go with an airweight revolver
if you don't feel comfortable with one.   Hope it all works out. 

Been there done that. The P3AT had jams and the magazine would shoot out the bottom after recoil sometimes.

I think I'm going to move to 'bulletproof' guns.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
Think I'll stay away from the LCP for a while myself.  I wish Sig would move a little faster getting the 250 sub small grip out.  I handled the grip only and it feels good but you never know.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
Ron J; I'm late to this thread, but I'm curious - what flavor of p220 is yours?  I'm asking because I am constantly carrying one of two  guns - either my P3AT (which I've had zero problems with, thank God) or my P220 Compact.  It's not a pocket gun, but then again - it's not a pocket gun, y'know?  :)

If yours is a full-size 220, I'd take a good look at the compact.  It's a bit smaller, but a lot more comfortable to carry, and easier to conceal.  For me, anyway...  YMMV.

Good luck with Ruger.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »
.  It's not a pocket gun, but then again - it's not a pocket gun, y'know? 

I like that!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Ron J

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »
Ron J; I'm late to this thread, but I'm curious - what flavor of p220 is yours?  I'm asking because I am constantly carrying one of two  guns - either my P3AT (which I've had zero problems with, thank God) or my P220 Compact.  It's not a pocket gun, but then again - it's not a pocket gun, y'know?  :)

If yours is a full-size 220, I'd take a good look at the compact.  It's a bit smaller, but a lot more comfortable to carry, and easier to conceal.  For me, anyway...  YMMV.

Good luck with Ruger.

I have heard that the new Kel-Tec's seem to have the bugs worked out.  First consideration for a carry gun is reliability.  Like Solid said, if he can't have faith in his Ruger he can't carry it.  While I am sure that Ruger will have a high percentage of LCP guns that exceed expectations, it just takes one time to fail to lose faith.  Solid has given the LCP a couple of shots and that's more that fair.  With that being said, the folks at Ruger are smart enough to understand that when they lose a customer, it costs them 7x in working marketing dollars to get that customer back.  They don't want to lose customers so I would bet on them making it right. 

I have two full size P220's (one is a mint condition Browning BDA that I bought new in 1978).  Because I have been shooting this "platform" for 30 years, it's a very natural gun to me.  Have yet to hold a P220 Compact but I did find a gun store that has some brand new P245's which is actually a little smaller than the P220 Compact (no beavertail).  Very tempting.  Adding to the confusion, a SIG P229 is slightly shorter in length and slightly taller in height to a P220 Compact or P245 BUT has twice the mag capacity (albeit a 9mm vs. 45ACP).  Tough decision! 

If it wasn't for the internal lock on the S&W revolvers, I would have a S&W MP 340 revolver on my hip or pocket today.  Read TOO many posts at the S&W Forum to make that a reliable carry.  Given the amount of favorable press the P239 has received over the years, I am leaning towards that flavor of SIG. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk