Author Topic: Shooting Gallery Has Jumped The Shark  (Read 38790 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Shooting Gallery Has Jumped The Shark
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
jimmyk, you may have a point, but I don't like the delivery.  We should all be able to express our opinions... just don't be a smartass when you do it.  I found the following comments to be rude and disrespectful:

Now for the show - I like it.  Everything can be improved and I'm sure MB has some ideas about how to change and improve the new SG format.  With each new season... with each new project... we have the opportunity to enjoy more of what we love to watch - shooting.  Wednesday is my favorite TV evening.  MB, thank you and keep up the good work.

WTF !
That would eliminate about a 1/3 of my posts and probably 3/4 of M'ette's.
                                                 ;D

Jkwas

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Jkwas
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
Wow,
I really enjoyed the IDPA episode.  I thought it was a nice introduction and explanation of the sport for people that don't know what it is.  Even though I have seen several other shows cover the subject, I still learned a few things about it. You can always learn something new even though you know a lot.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
BAC, Comcast/Commie Cast  ;D does it opposite in Indiana where I live. I get the Outdoor Channel but lost the Sportsmans Channel. I can pay for it at a premium.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
I liked the IDPA show...but I know the match director.

I like the concealed carry information.

Michael,

Consider adding segment about hardware choices and the pluses and minuses based upon the venue you are filming.  Something that sometimes compliments The Best Defense and goes into some depth.  For instance for AR's the virtues and vices of the old style sling, the three point sling (that can get you tangled up and killed) and the single point sling.  You could do the same thing with optics on AR's for inside the home defense, home out to yard distance of 50 to 100 yards and then beyond...each optic type has a niche' for that and even that niche' depends on the application...my thoughts being self defense.  How can you use a range finder and bullet compensation when hunting antelope, and what are the considerations of the application when choosing features for the hardware?  You can easily distance yourself from direct brand endorsements during the segment...and still have infrequently advertised manufacturers vie for some time behind the $egment without commenting on individual preferences.

I also like the Whittington Center episode....a good forum for an indepth explanation of hardware choices in clothing, footwear, packs, gun cases/holsters, water bottles, etc.  Not all in one show, just one...next year pick another one or two.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »
Wow,
I really enjoyed the IDPA episode.  I thought it was a nice introduction and explanation of the sport for people that don't know what it is.  Even though I have seen several other shows cover the subject, I still learned a few things about it. You can always learn something new even though you know a lot.

+1

I liked the IDPA show.

I like the concealed carry information.

Michael,

Consider adding segment about hardware choices and the pluses and minuses based upon the venue you are filming.  Something that sometimes compliments The Best Defense and goes into some depth.  For instance for AR's the virtues and vices of the old style sling, the three point sling (that can get you tangled up and killed) and the single point sling.  You could do the same thing with optics on AR's for inside the home defense, home out to yard distance of 50 to 100 yards and then beyond...each optic type has a niche' for that and even that niche' depends on the application...my thoughts being self defense.  How can you use a range finder and bullet compensation when hunting antelope, and what are the considerations of the application when choosing features for the hardware?  You can easily distance yourself from direct brand endorsements during the segment...and still have infrequently advertised manufacturers vie for some time behind the $egment without commenting on individual preferences.

I also like the Whittington Center episode....a good forum for an indepth explanation of hardware choices in clothing, footwear, packs, gun cases/holsters, water bottles, etc.  Not all in one show, just one...next year pick another one or two.

And another +1

You guys saved me some typing, thanks!!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:29:51 PM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
In truth, you throw things onto the wall and see what sticks. Overall, the ratings for SG are up 25% over last year same time period, and we are once again sold out on sponsorships...which is a very good place to be.

I knew from the beginning that we would all have to "find" the right mix, especially with the main "movie." Unfortunately, no battle plan survives first encounter with the enemy...Helmuth von Moltke the Elder said that when he was chief of the German General Staff in the 1850s...it remains one of my fundamental operating dictums. Our budgeting was delayed 60 days, and I had to cancel a number of SG filming sessions. We also weren't sure until the last minute whether we were going to go forward on the 1-hour format. those 2 factor combined meant that I had to fall back more on established competition than I had originally intended. The reason for that is how complicated it is to set up an SG "main movie" from the ground up.It took literally months of negotiation just to to set up the upcoming HOLLYWOOD GUNS show...ditto for ZERO TO HERO...forget THE O.K. CORRAL ep! That was a terrifying nightmare to pull together...I couldn't even keep straight which lies I was telling to whom!

Marshal and I had a long talk about competition this morning...I get a huge amount of requests for "more competition," but I have a gut-level feeling that that demand is coming from a relatively small set of people. Typically, competition shows tend to be popular with people who shoot competition; less so with the much larger audience who doesn't. That's also the case with specifics...the more specific we get — which undeniably appeals to the hardcore audience — the faster we lose the the larger audience. The numbers don't lie. That's why I moved the training segments to the Internet, where they're pulling a lot of traffic.

We're in uncharted territory. No one has tried to do a gun show like this; there are no formulas or, heck, even rules. We roll the dice. Jimmy K, there will be less competition next season because thanks to the success of the show I have a little longer planning horizon. Ultimately, the show becomes more experience-oriented...I'm looking at bring some additional regulars on board, a la TOP GEAR, and one of the main duties of whomever ends up on board will be regular detailed gun stuff. I also have some changes for the live audience segments. Ultimately, I have to build the show for the big audience...every so often my overlords remind me that I'm in television and the reason the ratings for my shows swamp my analogs on other networks is I focus on the bigger picture, so to speak.

Well, maybe...

I told the bosses it would take me 3 seasons to "build out" the new format, and I still think that's pretty much my target. My goal is to more fully integrate the broadcast product with DRTV, so we can deal with the specifics on the Internet...I had no idea such an integration would be so hard to accomplish.

And I will still be doing things that I think are important to the culture, for example, Ruger Rimfire competitions. It's critical for all of us who are competition shooters that the current huge growth in competition shooting continues, and the Ruger matches are now central to that strategy. BTW, we got great response from that show, mostly from pure newbies!

I want you guys to know that DRTV is important to me both as a sounding board and an way of getting the feedback we need to operate. In the world I presently live it, it is far too easy to "breath your own air." It's the nature of the business and the fact that all of us in this business have huge egos (as my Sweetie has reminded me more than once).

Don't worry to much about being "respectful"...you could probably look up the word "as&%ole" in the dictionary and find my picture!

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
Oh yeah, and one more thing...the wisdom of the Kinks:

"And those who are successful
Be always on your guard
Success walks hand-in-hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard..."

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

BAC

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Oh yeah, and one more thing...the wisdom of the Kinks:

"And those who are successful
Be always on your guard
Success walks hand-in-hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard..."

mb

Great.  Now I have to listen to lots of Kinks.  Thanks MB!

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
Michael,
I know you worked with Joel Barker in the past, and so you are aware its best to see when the prevailing paradigm is on its way out and a new one is emerging.

Here's my $0.45 ($0.02 adjusted for inflation ;) ):
I think your show should migrate to a more focused content delivery mechanism. The obvious medium to deliver that is the Internet right now. I hardly ever watch TV anymore. I watch the shows I like on various sites. Some charge for view but most of it is free. I don't know but I think the days of broadcast/cable TV are going the way of the dinosaurs.

But in the interim, I wish you the best!

Take care,
George

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
In truth, you throw things onto the wall and see what sticks. Overall, the ratings for SG are up 25% over last year same time period, and we are once again sold out on sponsorships...which is a very good place to be.
<snip>
Marshal and I had a long talk about competition this morning...I get a huge amount of requests for "more competition," but I have a gut-level feeling that that demand is coming from a relatively small set of people. Typically, competition shows tend to be popular with people who shoot competition; less so with the much larger audience who doesn't. That's also the case with specifics...the more specific we get — which undeniably appeals to the hardcore audience — the faster we lose the the larger audience. The numbers don't lie. That's why I moved the training segments to the Internet, where they're pulling a lot of traffic.
<snip>
Don't worry to much about being "respectful"...you could probably look up the word "as&%ole" in the dictionary and find my picture!

Michael B

Congratulations on the sponsorships.  That means we get more SG. 

You're probably right on the competition as it wasn't until I shot a couple contests and began to recognized the names & faces that I got interested so...maybe add some more to educate us about "industry professional shooters" like Todd Jarrett, Phil Strader, Baby Huey, etc. with a background segment (sorta like Paul Harvey?) to help make them recognizable names....maybe a PRO-AM Ruger segment.  I like what you're doing with the recognizable actors in shooting steel and timing them....you could have a pro help a shooter & compare the before/after time improvement..use that pro help to help us in various facets where we are weak????  This strengthens the shooting community...bring in some of the hot shot deer, duck, varmint hunters from the Outdoor Channel and put them across from Mike Seeklander, Michael Janich or Rob Pincus....that would be a hoot and some of those guys can really use the humble pie.

Sure enough, looked it up, no picture but print:
   ass·hole noun \ˈas-ˌ(h)ōl\
Definition of ASSHOLE
1. usually vulgar : anus  2a. usually vulgar : a stupid, incompetent, or detestable person b usually vulgar : the worst place —used in phrases like asshole of the world  3.  Michael Bane  4. Raylan Givens  5. Male eqivalent of a cobra bitch in heat being poked with a stick.

First Known Use of ASSHOLE
14th century
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk