Author Topic: Are laser sights useful for HD?  (Read 9908 times)

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are laser sights useful for HD?
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Are laser sights for use on a firearm for home defense? It seems like it would be a useful tool if you are at home when someone breaks in and you need to find your target but can't line up the shot with the iron sights because of your positioning or simply nervousness.

robheath

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Are laser sights useful for HD?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »
Thats wxactly why I have them on my guns. Instead of trying to concentrate on the front sight you actually are projecting your sight on the tatrget.  In a tense situation you WILL be looking at your target and your sight will be there in the form of a red dot.  I am former LEO and went thriugh a lot of training.  Still the times that were potentally deadly I watched the target more than the sights.  I think it a huge advantage to project your sight where your eyes will be.
Give me liberty or I'll get my guns and get it myself.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
The problem with laser sights is that they move the confidence from practice and performance based to technology based.  With a laser you are not only reliant on the light, switch and battery, but you are dealing with the activation based on changing grip due to situation or confrontation.

Since I can not find a decent laser sight that activates reliably with my hand and grip, and prefer to rely on instinctive shooting in low light situations.  The key to instinctive shooting is trigger time, but that is a requirement of choosing a firearm for self defense anyway.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
Huh, I found an interesting video with Rob Pincus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0mVxVM0VY

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Lasers are like any other tool, they have advantages and disadvantages.
On the plus side, they let you focus on the target, and they allow you to fire accurately in situations where the sights are useless, like as you are being knocked on your ass by an attacker.
m58 covered the minus's pretty well, moving parts and batteries add more things prone to failure.
 If you are to tense to use the sights will you be able to switch the laser on ?
If the switch is big enough to manipulate under stress will it snag on the draw ?
And lastly, don't allow yourself to replace training with technology, that's what many cops do and they generally shoot like crap.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:13:43 AM »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
I am pro laser. Especially on firearms with crude sights such as the Ruger LCP or Taurus TCP. It really benefits those with dominant eye issues as I have found for one of my visually impaired students in a NRA class.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
So question.    How many LE agencies issue them as standard equipment?

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
So question.    How many LE agencies issue them as standard equipment?

I bet it's the same number who issue suppressors as safety equipment.

Steven Cline

• Active Forum Member
  • What are you tollin' for here?
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
Hugely useful.
Heavily recommended.
"OK. You've convinced me. Competitive shooting only improves trigger control, indexing, accuracy, safe weapon handling, target acquisition, transitions, recoil control, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, shooting in different positions, drawing from a holster, shooting one handed, shooting targets of varying size, difficulty, and distance, and doing those things under the pressure of the clock. Clearly those are skills that are of little importance in self defense or tactical shooting. "  -The post which went ignored and unaddressed.

ScottieG59

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Are laser sights useful for HD?
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
For low light or when you are in an awkward position and cannot get in line with your sights, laser helps a lot. One problem is that red lasers are tough to see in bright light.

Lasers also help with dry fire practice. It clearly shows when you have trigger manipulation problems.

Old guys sometimes have trouble seeing sights well. Laser can help there too.

I agree, it can fail, like other things can fail. Be prepared to adapt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk