Author Topic: M&P Shield 9mm or .40 S&W?  (Read 15041 times)

Timothy

M&P Shield 9mm or .40 S&W?
« on: May 12, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has seen or handled/bought one of these new slim, single stack M&P pistols?

Any info would be welcome!

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: M&P Shield 9mm or .40 S&W?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
I can't speak from personal experience with the M&P but I would be very reluctant to get something so small and light in .40S&W.  I think it would be unpleasant to shoot and would take a long time to get back on target.  YMMV

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:28:39 AM »
Just shot mine for the first time the other day! Was 100% with factory ball. Feels great in the hand and is easy to control. Forgot to bring hollow points so that will have to wait (Gold Dot 124 gr. non +p for now. Read directions to see if it is +p rated and +p is OK but will excellerate wear. Accurate enough with these OLD eyes! The beavertail (or whatever you call it) beat the heck out of the knuckle of my sh thumb (the M&P sc did the exact same thing! and I'm not sure why becuse the sc SA and Glock don't) It isn't a problem but a bit disconcerting at first. Not sure what I will get to carry it in but I will carry it if it works w/hp ammo. I will also shoot it in IDPA to get used to carry gear.  I don't believe it is that light that .40 should be a problem even though the .40 version should be a bit lighter than the 9

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

GEvens

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
I've got one in 9mm.  It shoots great--not as much recoil as I expected.  I was hitting the target about 2-3 inches below the point of aim at 5 yards shooting 115 gr FMJ practice ammo.  Compared to other small pistols, felt recoil was much less than with a Ruger LC9 and similar guns.  Indeed it felt about the same as shooting my Glock 19.  It's thin profile makes it very easy to carry concealed and it will become my primary carry gun as soon as I finish my usual break-in period with it.

blueeyephil

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Re: M&P Shield 9mm or .40 S&W?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:41 AM »
I have the 9mm and i'm impressed. The first 50 rounds were Independence 115gr fmj. At 10 yds it grouped really well. Recoil wasn't bad at all. I'm mostly a 40 guy but thought that for that small of a gun I'd go with the 9mm. This isn't a range gun, the mags are just too small. ;)

Don't know why the picture is on it's side, but you get the point. This was shot at 10yds, using both mags with 1 sec or so between shots. Just enough time to get back on target good. Not rapid fire but quick fire.

This carries ok with my existing IWB holster.  I'm going to get the proper one but there is no problem carrying in the one I've got. It's too loose when off body, but when worn it snugs up.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:44:07 PM »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
Still have not had my paws on one. Looking forward to checking them out.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:12 AM »
I'm very interested too. I really like the full size M&P 9 and I'm not sure if the shield is the same gun, just downsized. Broken down it looks like the same parts, but you can't tell from pictures.

Seems like a real nice carry 9.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

v1rot8

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:26:45 AM »
The full size M&P 9 and a fine weapon. Has done everything I have asked it to.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
While looking for a holster for my 9 Shield I ran into an individual with a .40 Shield that wanted to trade for a 9!  Nuff said. 

FWIW

Richard

PS:  Read an article that said holsters for the Walther PPS will work well with the Shield.  Holster makers are just gearing up for the Shield and one asked "Shield, what's that?" 
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »
Bump...

My interest in this little auto is piquing again!  They became MA compliant recently and the price point is reasonable as well.

Any more comments would be welcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk