Author Topic: When is Glock going to evolve?  (Read 42355 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: When is Glock going to evolve?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
ericire12...I did read some of the posts.  That is what prompted me to reply.  If Glock has such a backlog why are there so many unsold Glocks at gunshows and shops?  There may be a backlog but it is for special models and not the run-of-the-mill models.  If their so popular why aren't the run-of-the-mill models sold out too?

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
There is no doubt that the "G" pistol is one of the best made. There is an entire display, in my little gun shop, here in coastal NC of ready to go Glocks for sale NIB, with a few trade ins. ALWAYS. Never a shortage and if you don't see it, they can get it in a week.
Not quite sure of a back log,.. Priced all around 450 to 550 dollars.

I don't own one yet, but I will just because I have that gun addiction toward getting the ones that are the most reliable,user friendly,durable, accurate,..etc,.. I haven't gotten one, because its almost like everybody else has one,...

Walther PPK, 1911, Model 19's, AR's, Rem 870, 10/22, AND the Glock 19, are true awesome, timeless, firearms, BUT all have done something to appeal to the consumer in some way, and have to keep up with the times. Stocks, backstraps, grips,sights,bells and whistles (even as an option), will keep sales. Even if those dam*** accessories pi** some off. Gun makers want NEW buyers, and have to one up the other ones with something that stands out.

Just my $.02 cents (pre-tax).

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
The only thing GLOCK can do to "evolve" is fix the unsupported chamber problem . I carried 1 for 17 years. There is no better duty pistol, just wish the handle was adjustable.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »
The only thing GLOCK can do to "evolve" is fix the unsupported chamber problem . I carried 1 for 17 years. There is no better duty pistol, just wish the handle was adjustable.

Lets all remember here that I am commenting more on Glock, the company needing to evolve more so then Glock, the polymer striker fired pistol. Aside from the lack of possible upgrades they could make to their pistol to make it more universal to consumers (i.e. the ambidextrous controls, the interchangeable backstraps, etc.), they are without a doubt the most rugged and reliable polymer striker fired pistol on the market.

The greater point that I am trying to make here is that Glock as a company leaves many market segments within the firearms industry untouched. They already have the brain power, experience, property, plant, and equipment necessary to enter into new segments of the industry with minimal cost.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

atmiller

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 09:57:23 PM »

Even a long-time Glock user notes 2 improvements to be made.  The market is passing them by.  Only their trade-in deals with Law Enforcement is keeping their popularity up. 

The XD and the M&P are both better guns, but the Glock is firmly entrenched. 

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 05:48:17 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »

You will hurt Hawkfish's feeling you meany  ;D

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »
The Glock, M&P, and XD are all good guns.

Good enough to win matches and gunfights. All of 'em can beat the others (and 1911s) in the right hands.

If a pistol can group under 4 inches at 25 yds, go 2K rounds between malfunctions, and last at least 20K rounds it's good enough for gummint work. These days, more and more gummints are adding things like adjustable grips, frame rail, ambi controls, and no trigger pull for takedwon to the list. The US military still wants a manual safety, but the way the USAF describes it in the Modular Handgun System Q&A is "interesting":

Safety Mechanism
QUESTION: - What is the requirement of the external, manually operated safety button/switch? Is it only to keep the pistol from firing, even if the trigger is pulled?
ANSWER: The safety button/switch will prevent the loaded cartridge from firing if the pistol is dropped or struck and mechanically prevents the firing pin/striker from contacting the cartridge primer.

Contracts and competition are the natural selection of the evolutionary process in the gun world. Gaston is stubborn, but he aint no dinosaur. Yet.

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »
Now, my question is When is Glock going to evolve?

One day when Gaston walks along a road and suddenly, from out of nowhere a bolt of lighting strikes a bush and sets it on fire. Then, a voice emerges from the burning bush and says:

"Gaston, it ain't perfect".
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »

I'm on the fence about the XD, maybe the M will be a little better but the M&P is FAR more comfortable to shoot and control than my G17. 

Safety Mechanism
QUESTION: - What is the requirement of the external, manually operated safety button/switch? Is it only to keep the pistol from firing, even if the trigger is pulled?
ANSWER: The safety button/switch will prevent the loaded cartridge from firing if the pistol is dropped or struck and mechanically prevents the firing pin/striker from contacting the cartridge primer.

Doesn't specifically EXCLUDE the Glock's trigger safety as an external safety nor does it spell out that the safety has to be in addition to a firing pin block disengaged by the trigger pull.  Typicall guvment requirement, just vague enough to be open and not specific enough to make what they want perfectly clear.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »
[quote author=jnevis link=topic=2105.msg26120#msg26120 date=1212852456

Typicall guvment requirement, just vague enough to be open and not specific enough to make what they want perfectly clear.

[/quote]

Yep, the worst of both worlds  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk