Author Topic: When is Glock going to evolve?  (Read 41566 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
Re: When is Glock going to evolve?
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »
Man, I've been sleepin'....you mean Glocks are changing....you mean they are going to make them purty now?  Use a little stainless, maybe a dab of Bloomberg blue here and there like the Neos?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 09:24:33 AM »
Glocks have evolved plenty; they have changed just about every part on the gun since it came out, some parts several times. If some trends continue, may have to evolve a bit more.

As far as a manual safety, what the "indefinitely postponed" JCP/CP said: 

3.4.6.   Safety:

3.4.6.1.   DA/SA Pistols.  The JCP in the DA/SA configuration shall have an internal safety mechanism that prevents the loaded cartridge from firing if the pistol is dropped or struck and mechanically prevents the firing pin/striker from contacting the cartridge primer unless the trigger is pulled (T).  DA/SA pistols shall have a de-cocking lever that lowers the hammer from a cocked position and returns the pistol to DA mode when activated (T).  The JCP design shall prevent the firing of a chambered cartridge when the hammer is cocked and the de-cocking lever is activated (T).  The operator shall be capable of activating the de-cocking lever with the firing hand (T).  The operator should be capable of activating the de-cocking lever without shifting the firing grip (O).  If configured with external safety, the weapon shall meet the requirements of 3.4.6.1.1.

3.4.6.1.1.   DA/SA Pistols with External Safety.  The JCP in DA/SA mode with an external manual safety shall meet all the requirements of 3.4.6.1 with the addition of:  The external manual safety shall prevent firing when the manual safety is applied and the trigger is pulled (T).  The operator shall be capable of activating the external manual safety with the firing hand (T).  The operator should be capable of activating the external manual safety without shifting the firing grip (O).

3.4.6.2.   DAO Pistols.  The JCP in DAO shall have an internal safety mechanism that prevents the loaded cartridge from firing if the pistol is dropped or struck and mechanically prevents the firing pin/striker from contacting the cartridge primer unless the trigger is pulled (T).  If configured with an external safety, the pistol shall meet the requirements of 3.4.6.2.1.

3.4.6.2.1.   DAO Pistols with External Safety.  The JCP in DAO with an external safety shall meet the requirements of 3.4.6.2 with the addition of:  The external safety shall prevent firing when applied and the trigger is pulled (T).  When configured with an external safety, the operator shall be capable of activating and deactivating the external safety with the firing hand (T), and should be capable of activating and deactivating the external safety without shifting the firing grip (O).

So... maybe 3.4.6.1.1 and 3.4.6.2.1 don't apply to the MHS since they didn't mention it this time? The trigger safety on the Glock/XD/M&P, the grip safety on the XD are enough?

Hey, they considered the single action striker fired action of the XD a DA/SA pistol for contract purposes in the JCP/CP!?

51.  Item 3.4.1 Action. Will all Striker Fired Actions be considered Double Action Only regardless of what the striker does during the action of pulling the trigger? Is there any Double Action definition as to what makes it a DA or DA pull? How will Double Action be defined? 

Answer:  The specification will be changed to state: DA/SA is defined as an action that sets and releases the sear with the first pull of the trigger, with subsequent shots being single action, only releasing the sear from a preset position, to fire the weapon. DAO/ Striker Fire is defined as an action that sets and released the sear with every pull of the trigger. Note: Any Striker Fire action that fully sets the sear will be considered DA/SA.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 10:06:10 AM »
There are restrictions on what can be imported.

BATFE has a Point System that Glock must meet.  I believe that a handgun must score 75 points to be allowed.  Lower than 75, no go.

Many things add points to a gun.  Larger caliber adds more points.  Over all length adds point and perhaps barrel length does.

Type of sights and type of trigger do also.

All Glocks arrive with cheap adjustable sights for 10 points.  They are removed and replace with standard fixed sights. 

Compact size Glocks also come with "Target" triger which is simply serrated on the face.

The .380 Glock just can't be tricked out enough to gain enough points for import.

Finally they came out with a 21 that fits my hand..don't know why they think everyone has hands the size of a Yeti..maybe they are found in the Austrian Alps too?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »
There are restrictions on what can be imported.

BATFE has a Point System that Glock must meet.  I believe that a handgun must score 75 points to be allowed.  Lower than 75, no go.

Many things add points to a gun.  Larger caliber adds more points.  Over all length adds point and perhaps barrel length does.

Type of sights and type of trigger do also.

All Glocks arrive with cheap adjustable sights for 10 points.  They are removed and replace with standard fixed sights. 

Compact size Glocks also come with "Target" triger which is simply serrated on the face.

The .380 Glock just can't be tricked out enough to gain enough points for import.

Finally they came out with a 21 that fits my hand..don't know why they think everyone has hands the size of a Yeti..maybe they are found in the Austrian Alps too?

Making them in  Smyrna Georgia would completely bypass all of that. A micro .380 is very doable if Glock really wants to enter that market segment.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:27 AM »
Solus, my hands are most definitely not Yeti-sized.  The Glock 21 fits me kind of nicely, though.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 06:14:43 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
I have heard that the process used to "Tennifer" the parts will never be done in the states due to EPA regs..Cyanide is said to be used in the process of treating the metal.  Tennifer is not a finish, but a metallurgical treatment more in common with case hardening than blueing or parkerizing

Sorry, Doug...didn't mean to imply you had to be a Yeti to have a glock21 fit your hand...but they have been made for years with no thought to folks with smaller hands.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »
I have heard that the process used to "Tennifer" the parts will never be done in the states due to EPA regs..Cyanide is said to be used in the process of treating the metal.  Tennifer is not a finish, but a metallurgical treatment more in common with case hardening than blueing or parkerizing

"Tenifer" is a registered trade name for a process that is not owned/licensed by Glock. Other trade names for the same process using "greener" salt baths are Melonite, Tufftride, and Kolene. They are virtually identical when it comes to wear and corrosion resistance, hardness, and lubricity; close enough it doesn't really matter in the real world. At one time the rights to all of them were owned by the Durferrit division of the HEF Group, and licensed in the USA through HEF USA, but I think the rights have changed hands since then.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »
Making them in  Smyrna Georgia would completely bypass all of that. A micro .380 is very doable if Glock really wants to enter that market segment.

Beretta has been building the Tomcats in MD for a number of years and don't fall under the restriction.

I don't see Glock really spending a lot of effort on a 380 as it really isn't a popular cartridge here as we aren't required to use non-military ammo and 380 is actually more expensive than 9mm.  The 380 glock is the same size/capacity as the 26/27 and which would you rather have in the same package, a 9mm/40SW or a 380?
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
Beretta has been building the Tomcats in MD for a number of years and don't fall under the restriction.

I don't see Glock really spending a lot of effort on a 380 as it really isn't a popular cartridge here as we aren't required to use non-military ammo and 380 is actually more expensive than 9mm.  The 380 glock is the same size/capacity as the 26/27 and which would you rather have in the same package, a 9mm/40SW or a 380?

The discussing of a .380 Glock is more along the lines of a micro .380 that is on par with being the same size as a LCP or Kel Tec P-3AT. Outside of that, yes, a .380 Glock would be pretty useless.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Ron J

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
What I heard ... can't remember where ... was that Glock was going to outsource the manufacture of their frames to China.  Apparently, there is a plant that has some extra line time since Mattel dropped some plastic toy business with them last year. 

Next, I heard that they were going to build some metal frame guns that handled and looked like P-08's.  Kind of a modern retro gun but this plan was scraped because the guns ended up looking too good and Glock thought that producing a good looking gun might hurt their image. 

:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk