Author Topic: When is Glock going to evolve?  (Read 41565 times)

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: When is Glock going to evolve?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 03:54:53 AM »
 ::) 

First off.... before I begin this Glock rant, in the interest of full disclosure (And so HAWKFISH doesn't get his panties in a bunch) let me say this:
I am a huge Glock supporter. I love my Glocks. Glock was the first handgun that I ever bought, and it is always the first handgun that I recommend. I LOVE GLOCKS!

Now, my question is When is Glock going to evolve?

Since the Glock was introduced in the early 1980s we have seen little new come out of the company that makes one of the most rugged and reliable handguns in the world. In 1982 they did something innovative by introducing the G17. It started an industry wide epidemic and launched a line of pistols that has become world renowned among law enforcement and military organizations. Since then we have seen little to nothing from the company.

Many companies have cloned the Glock design over the years and made improvements along the way , but Glock refuses to grow. Over the years, they have expanded selection to include almost every desirable handgun caliber. They have also made a few updates to their original frame design, but Glock as a company has really missed the boat. Although they have one of the most renowned names in the gun industry, they have refused to branch out and create anything other then their traditional striker fired polymer pistol.

Why they have done this is beyond me. They have some of the worlds greatest gun minds working for them. They have world class manufacturing facilities, and almost 30 years of gun manufacturing experience to fall back on. So where are the new models? Where is the Glock revolver? The Glock 1911? The Glock AR-15? The Glock tactical shotgun? The Glock bolt action rifle? The Glock rimfires? Where is the Glock micro auto loading pocket pistol?

It truly boggles my mind that Ruger would beat Glock to the punch and put out a polymer clone of the cult favorite Kel Tec P-3AT. I had been preaching this to my shooting buddies for years, all the while Glock drags its knuckles and does nothing. Who better to create a pocket .380 then Glock? I guess Ruger...... And they are going to sell a ton of those little pistols too!

Yes, we have seen some improvements to the Glock line of hand guns over the years. There have been three evolutions of the frame, but they have been rather insignificant and mostly common sense. There has been an addition of a tactical light rail, but that was mostly to convince people to buy their ridiculously over priced name brand tactical light. Oh and lets not forget the OD color option now available (Very high up there on the cool factor, yet purely cosmetic). But where are the significant improvements that everyone else in the industry realized were needed? Where are the ambidextrous slide stop and mag release? Where is the extended mag release button? Where is the interchangeable backstrap? Where is the double strike capabilities? Where is the match grade barrel? I could go on and on.....

Nearly 30 years ago Glock gave us one of the premier personal defense auto loaders and started an industry wide polymer revolution. Since then they have given us a knife, a shovel, and a flashlight. I don't know about you, but I feel a little disappointed. I am very brand loyal to Glock, and I would own an entire Glock arsenal if I could, but over the past three decades they have refused to evolve and give me the chance to go deer hunting with that Glock bolt action that I covet so much. The bottom line here is that Glock is leaving money on the table in both the civilian and military markets. Why do they not understand this? Well, its beyond me.... But I wish they would figure it out before Christmas!

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
"When is Glock going to evolve?"

How much further are you looking for them to go?  They've got the pistol thing down pretty good...  Looking for a Tenifer coated robot that takes over the world?!?

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 09:28:54 AM »
"When is Glock going to evolve?"

How much further are you looking for them to go?  They've got the pistol thing down pretty good...  Looking for a Tenifer coated robot that takes over the world?!?

Read the entire original post.... They are now finally trying to play catch up with the rumored upcoming release of Glocks with interchangeable backstraps. I just think that they are not reaching their full potential as a gun making company... They have been resting on their lorals, and seem to be following the Detroit auto makers business model. There are a lot of untapped market segments out there, and I sure wish Glock would jump into them.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »
Maybe the offer of a nice big fat military contract would motivate them...  Obama, are you listening???

While times are tight for most industries, I agree, Glock has no excuses for not doing their share of R&D to keep up with the one market that's BOOMING!  (get it, "booming"?  ;D)

I think they need to get into the carbine market!!!

But NOT with just another AR clone. ::) ::) ::)

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 06:05:26 AM »

bushpilot267

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
REPORTS FROM THE RANGE:  Glock reps are over the country showing the prototypes of the coming Glocks.  For the most part it has the RTF finish, a changeable backstrap and possibly ambi mag drop.

From the guys who saw it disappointment prevailed. One told me it looks as if Glock is trying to catch S&W's M&P.

That's all I know since I don't know anymore.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:01 PM »
Evolve into what? They make what to my mind is the best SD and service pistol in the world for the price. Why change? Its like asking BK why they don't make pizzas. However I agree that I would eagerly buy a carbine that used thier existing pistol mags. Still, beyond this, why mess wth perfection? They do one thing, and do it well. Why change to enter into other markets where they would be a Jonhny come lately?
FQ13

Badgersmilk

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »
Evolve into what? They make what to my mind is the best SD and service pistol in the world for the price. Why change? Its like asking BK why they don't make pizzas. However I agree that I would eagerly buy a carbine that used thier existing pistol mags. Still, beyond this, why mess wth perfection? They do one thing, and do it well. Why change to enter into other markets where they would be a Jonhny come lately?
FQ13

Wouldn't that be sweet!  ;)  Seem's like there'd be a market for them out there. 

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2009, 03:12:47 AM »
Wouldn't that be sweet!  ;)  Seem's like there'd be a market for them out there. 

Yep, just ask Kel-Tec

Badgersmilk

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2009, 07:12:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the not so perfect part of a Glock carbine would be the price tag!  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk