Author Topic: Reduced Training Costs  (Read 9844 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
Reduced Training Costs
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
I have noticed a few training groups have begun a trend in reducing class costs as well as round counts in each class in order to help out during these tight financial times.

I applaud this effort by these guys.

Now is a good time, if funds allow, for those seeking professional training to seek out some opportunities......there may be others following this trend near you.

Magpul and Rob Pincus (of ICE Training) are at least two that I know of that have announced reduced fees, round counts, and Magpul has even started a .22lr course.

From Magpul today:
News from Magpul Dynamics

http://www.magpuldynamics.com/

With the state of the industry right now, the Dynamics crew is making some accomodations....

Magpul Dynamics Pricing and Ammunition Requirement Update

In an effort to make training more accessible in these times of increased prices and reduced availability, Magpul Dynamics has updated their pricing structure, round counts, and acceptable calibers for the 2013 training year.

Effective immediately, all three-day classes are reduced to $600 per student, and two-day classes are reduced to $450 per student. In addition, the curriculum has been revised for all pistol/carbine courses based on the changes occurring over the past year to allow for maximum training value at a slightly reduced round count.
Also, we are temporarily allowing the use of pistol-caliber carbines and 22LR AR-15 pattern training rifles in the carbine classes. Please understand that there are many drawbacks to training with 22LR as opposed to normal rifle platforms, but significant training value will still exist. We expect a full return to allowing rifle-caliber rounds only in the future as the ammunition supply catches up with current demand and ammunition prices return to a reasonable level.
However, we understand the financial burden placed on students with the current state of the economy and the rapid rise in retail pricing in the ammunition industry.

We firmly believe in the value of quality firearms training and are committed to providing quality products and services at a fair price.

Duane, Steve, Jon, and Caylen

https://www.facebook.com/magpul

From Pincus:
http://www.imakenews.com/valhalla/e_article002599250.cfm?x=blV46L5,bchK9C2L,w

Effective Immediately, I.C.E. Training Company is reducing the round count of all 2013 courses.

In response to student concerns about the cost and availability of ammunition, especially for the busy Spring Training Season, Rob Pincus has decided to reduce round counts for all live fire range courses by up to 25%. “We’ve down this before,” says Rob,” in response to requests during the 2009 ammunition shortages. There is no reduction in the quality of the course.. in fact, since repetition over extended time is what really ingrains physical skills, it might even be a better course with a little more lecture and extended Q&A.”

While students always value putting “rounds down range” during any live fire course, and a certain amount of shooting is vital to skill learning and assuring that students understand what and how to train, it is not necessary to shoot over 1000 rounds in two days to make training valuable.

Minimum round counts for two day Combat Focus® Shooting courses will now be 800 rounds. Other courses, includind the popular Combat Focus® Carbine classes, will have their round counts reduced as well.

In addition to the reduced round counts, tuition prices are being lowered by $50 for 2013 as well, to help offset the rapidly rising cost of ammunition.

For more information, visit the I.C.E. Training Company Course List and click on the course you are interested in!

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Reduced Training Costs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
Everyone is in business to make the best living they can, so I don't blame anyone for selling their product for what the market will bear.

They make the decision whether a higher selling price or more volume at a lower price is in their best interest...

But...I have this observation.

Either the reduced rounds requirement results in a lesser degree of training or the original round count requirement was inflated.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Everyone is in business to make the best living they can, so I don't blame anyone for selling their product for what the market will bear.

They make the decision whether a higher selling price or more volume at a lower price is in their best interest...

But...I have this observation.

Either the reduced rounds requirement results in a lesser degree of training or the original round count requirement was inflated.

There is a third possibility, The previous round count was geared to Military SpecOps and police SWAT needs while the lower round count is more geared for the civilians that make up the majority of the classes and are the ones most likely to be on a tight budget .

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »
From the Pincus memo:

“We’ve down this before,” says Rob, "in response to requests during the 2009 ammunition shortages. There is no reduction in the quality of the course.... in fact, since repetition over extended time is what really ingrains physical skills, it might even be a better course with a little more lecture and extended Q&A.”

While students always value putting “rounds down range” during any live fire course, and a certain amount of shooting is vital to skill learning and assuring that students understand what and how to train, it is not necessary to shoot over 1000 rounds in two days to make training valuable.

I tend to lean towards what Tom said also.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
I know that even our local LEO classes have cut down on the round count due to tight budgets.
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:05:50 AM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
Good on them.

When it comes to 'rounds down range' at a class, the numbers some classes say to bring are insane.
From I.C.E.: since repetition over extended time is what really ingrains physical skills

If I haven't got some solid skills to work on by the time I've fired off 5 - 50rnd boxes of shells in one gun, then your training isn't for me.
That's over 31 mag changes for the 1911 shooter and just over 19 for G23 shooters. 
A cub bear with a football should have it figured out by then.

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
I read somewhere that it takes 7 repetitions of a lesson to ingrain it into a students brain long enough for him/her to actually try practicing it.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
I read somewhere that it takes 7 repetitions of a lesson to ingrain it into a students brain long enough for him/her to actually try practicing it.

Maybe, but that doesn't take into account a persons DRIVE to learn and become proficient at a new skill. I learned a ton of stuff at Gunsite. We were moving so fast that I only was able to do many of the drills 1 or 2 times. Since I got home I have been practicing Dry and Live everyday. It is because I have the drive to perfect these skills.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
Maybe, but that doesn't take into account a persons DRIVE to learn and become proficient at a new skill. I learned a ton of stuff at Gunsite. We were moving so fast that I only was able to do many of the drills 1 or 2 times. Since I got home I have been practicing Dry and Live everyday. It is because I have the drive to perfect these skills.

True, but unless you took notes or got some kind of written information I'll bet that you have forgotten some of it.
Of course it also depends on how well a person has developed their memory as well .

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
Took PAGES of notes, and all of the drills are available on YOUTUBE. So luckily I DO have acess to the information covered.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk