Author Topic: FL Deputy Threatens to shoot CCW Holder in the Back  (Read 11713 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Re: FL Deputy Threatens to shoot CCW Holder in the Back
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
Why would you tell them how to do things?   if they were legal, thats all that should matter.   yeah it might not be smart, but thats thier choice.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
TAB, Officer safety is a touchy subject for some of us. I will simply say that just because someone CAN do something does not imply that they SHOULD do so. You can most likely not tell an officer that has pulled you over that you are armed and he/she may never know. But itis smarter to be up front about it in case the officer does notice. It goes to honesty and shows that you are willing to assist in the interest of officer safety. We never know what we are getting into when on a traffic stop. It is one of the most dangerous things officers do on a regular basis.
Semper Fi

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
TAB, Officer safety is a touchy subject for some of us. I will simply say that just because someone CAN do something does not imply that they SHOULD do so. You can most likely not tell an officer that has pulled you over that you are armed and he/she may never know. But itis smarter to be up front about it in case the officer does notice. It goes to honesty and shows that you are willing to assist in the interest of officer safety. We never know what we are getting into when on a traffic stop. It is one of the most dangerous things officers do on a regular basis.

Should have thought of that before you joined .
Instead of expecting citizens, (who pay your wages) to surrender their rights.
Your post makes it obvious you are part of the problem.
My  rights trump your "officer safety", and if you don't like it get another job.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I have had tons of professional contact over the years and was basicly a leo in the coasties.   I can hontestly count the number of"professional"  leos I have met on 3 fingers.   all from one agency(chp actually, never had a bad exp witht them), and I got a ticket from 2 of them.    while I have never been on the bad side of things, I have been on dozens of lock outs, and more then my fair share of being a vic of a crime, or helping those that were.    I have seen the badge flash to get out of a felony, I have watched them steal person belongings, been cuffed by mistaken id... So forgive me if I think of myself 1st.  Do I inform leos I am armed, some times.  I have a real prob with some one saying I am doing something wrong when I am well with in my legal rights, more so when I am paying for thier services.  It does not matter if its a building inspector, a leo or a garbage man.     This is not intended to offend, but ime  portect and serve is dead.   more like protect what we have and get more.

Jrlobo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
Perhaps we have all succumbed to the notion that all of our first responders (police and firemen) are "heros" worthy not only of respect but also of worship. We have put these guys up on pedestals so high that their only way down is to fall off or jump. Add that to the fear (not unwarranted) they have for their own lives creates an atmosphere for pre-judgement and arrogance. Those officers that recognize if they treat citizens as citizens first if they are not involved in a serious crime, they will automatically get the respect they deserve. Is there risk in that? Yes, indeed it comes with the territory. But if officers continue to act in an arrogant and officious manner, they will find that the citizens who cause them to be hired can also cause them to be fired. If the fear factor is the paramount consideration for judging the actions of a police officer, then officers will shoot first and ask questions later. I'm glad now I didn't succeed in getting hired by the LA County Sheriff's Department after I separated from service. Tough job!
Lobo

"Often in error, never in doubt!"

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:00:57 PM »

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
How about we back the truck up here. First, I said that the officer in this case was WAY out of line. Second, How is telling me you are armed givingup any rights? I have no reason to confiscate the weapon. Hell, if the car stop goes well I might have a pleasent conversation with you about custom touches, shooting clubs, etc. Third, EVERY job has an ass or two (or more). Most cops are no different than you or I. Just good, dedicated people trying to do a good job. Notice that I never issued a personal attack in my post. I simply explained the other side of the debate which was about a "hot head" who crossed the line. How about we take some care not to act the same way?
Semper Fi

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
How about my right of privacy or my right to be armed?    or what if your like me with bad knees where it is painful to get out of the car.   or what about the added stress of having some one you don't know handle your gun.  We have forum member with holes in thier cielings from leos handling thier guns.  Like it or not, not all leos handle guns well.   I know of a large sheriffs office where thie nds went from a average of 11 per year to 0 by getting rid of thier glocks and going to sigs.  I would hate to think how some one would handle say my colt comander( 1st 1911 I ever bought) while not a high$ gun  It still has a place close to my heart.  I won't even get into the. Trying to make it safe   

alex4922

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
What I immediatly think when I see these kinds of videos is that the officer is plain scared. Granted, it may be that the officer pulled over a bank robber or there is a body in the trunk and he will be shot. Otherwise, should be worried about his safety when he stands behind an individual at Burger King that may be carrying concealed? In the days when citizens commonly carried pistols openly how did the lawmen  deal with their natural fears?  Maybe those who can't train to be confident in their stops should do some of the paperwork. This is going to be vitally important as the number of CCW holders increase.

Alex

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
What I immediatly think when I see these kinds of videos is that the officer is plain scared. Granted, it may be that the officer pulled over a bank robber or there is a body in the trunk and he will be shot. Otherwise, should be worried about his safety when he stands behind an individual at Burger King that may be carrying concealed? In the days when citizens commonly carried pistols openly how did the lawmen  deal with their natural fears?  Maybe those who can't train to be confident in their stops should do some of the paperwork. This is going to be vitally important as the number of CCW holders increase.

Alex

The officer in Burger King is in the same boat as everyone else.  His fear is no greater than anyone else's.  His advantage is that he can carry off duty when many others aren't allowed that means of protection.

On duty at a vehicle stop, I understand how risky that would be.  

But I have read reports of CCW holders informing the officer they were carrying and being orders out of the car and on the ground.  Just like the guy in line ahead of the officer in BK, we can't tell the good cops from the bad ones.  Unless it is required by law, I won't take that chance.  

What would give me the greatest fear is if the officer ordered me to remove my weapon from it's holster and set it down.  Lots of mistakes can be made in that process and the officer, being afraid, is on the verge of shooting if anything abrupt happens...like nervous fumble fingering the weapon and making a grab for it rather than drop it.

No, just like the officer in BK would object to being required to inform the guy behind him that he was carrying a gun, and he would be ticked if the guy told the cop  he was mad at the cop because the cop didn't tell  him, I don't want to be required to tell the officer I am armed and do not like the thought of an officer being angry enough to say he would shoot me.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
No need to inform officers here in Montana, they know that you have a CCW as soon as they  run your license plate. I have only been stopped two times in twenty years but I was never asked if I was armed or have I heard of some one being asked. As of last fall they also know if your auto insurance is current.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk