Author Topic: Coburn says registration will kill the bill...  (Read 3829 times)

JLawson

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coburn says registration will kill the bill...
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:23:01 PM »
FTA:

Oklahoma Republican Sen. Tom Coburn said Sunday any Senate legislation on gun control that includes a national registry of firearms owners will be a deal breaker.

Coburn is part of the bipartisan Senate panel seeking ways to curb gun violence and that purportedly is about to agree on a proposal to expand background checks to most private gun sales, with national record-keeping still unresolved.  “There absolutely will not be record-keeping of legitimate gun owners,” Coburn told “Fox News Sunday.” “That will kill this bill.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/24/coburn-any-proposal-with-record-keeping-legit-gun-owners-will-kill-senate-bill/#ixzz2LqjN4AAM

Be sure to read the 'Washington Post' article referenced in this piece.  It provides a little more detail about some of the options they are considering.  Exemptions for family members and concealed carry permit holders, fees paid to third-parties for performing the NICS check, and who keeps a record of the transaction are all items mentioned in the WP article.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Coburn says registration will kill the bill...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
I see.  They are working hard to get a good balance on how many and how much of our rights and freedom it is proper to infringe upon.

Good to know they take a considered approach to trashing the constitution and their oaths of office.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
"Shall not be infringed " Period, end of sentance, no qualifiers.
Use 'em or lose 'em.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 645
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:57:45 AM »
Dadgummit.  It looked like Coburn got past that trying to get along consensus thing a year or so ago. 

This doesn't look good.  They must have picked him for the committee thinking he will make a deal.

Time for us in Oklahoma to contact his office again.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
Yeah...

The impression I get from reading it is...   Look how good a job I am doing.  I'm only letting them take away half your rights that they want to...   

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:20:18 AM »

Warrior1256

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »
"Shall not be infringed " Period, end of sentance, no qualifiers.
Use 'em or lose 'em.

Absolutely!!!! Fight all infringments, concede NOTHING!!!!!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
Absolutely!!!! Fight all infringments, concede NOTHING!!!!!

Exactly.  Demand mortars and anti-tank weapons be legalized for civilian sale and compromise with just getting full auto weapons without special hoops to jump through.

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Exactly.  Demand mortars and anti-tank weapons be legalized for civilian sale and compromise with just getting full auto weapons without special hoops to jump through.

Can't hurt. Make them compromise with us. Here's my baseline. If it requires a trailer hitch, we can maybe compromise on a permit..... ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
I will concede, if it needs a trailer hitch it needs a trailer plate , maybe an inspection sticker for brakes and lights..
But that's ALL I'll concede.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 645
COBURN RESPONDS Re: Coburn says registration will kill the bill...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 01:19:17 AM »
Private transfers verification must not be required is my stance.  I would like to check to see if someone I did not know was "nuts", but when you have a nutjob like the guy in Colorado and the powers-to-be know that and nothing happens it is only feel good and will have no effect.  Mental health professionals must be held accountable (not a joke).

So...no more laws.  No, not one.  Below is what I received from Tom Coburn and I am very uneasy:

Dear Mr. xxxx,
Thank you for taking the time to write me to express your opinion and concerns about the various gun control proposals. I am encouraged so many Oklahomans are making their voices heard. I have received an overwhelming number of letters, and in order to respond in a timely manner, I am writing a response that encompasses my entire position. If you have additional questions or concerns, please write me again.
  I want to be clear: I remain committed to defending and protecting our Constitution; namely the Second Amendment.  I have long protected the rights of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I am opposed to a ban on assault rifles and I oppose limiting magazines. I will not vote for any bill that limits the gun rights of law abiding citizens.  While I support a debate in the Senate on gun related issues—including reaffirming these rights and forcing gun-control advocates to have their votes on record and be held accountable for their votes—I will not only support, but lead a filibuster to prevent the passage of any bill that limits the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. 
The news reports are correct that I have been involved in discussions to write legislation improving the existing background checks to enable private citizens to check a database and ensure the person they seek to sell their gun to is legally allowed to own a firearm.  I believe it is good public policy to make sure that those who are mentally-ill or a felon (both are already prohibited from owning a gun), do not have access to a weapon.  However, I oppose record keeping and will not agree to legislation that expands record keeping to private sales.
The concern I am hearing over and over is not just about people maintaining their right to own firearms—it is a concern about how to preserve liberty.  When our Constitution was adopted, we had just won a war fought largely by Minute Men and localized, or unofficial, militias (Sons of Liberty, etc).  The first shots fired at Concord were, in part, to preserve a local supply of firearms that the British sought to confiscate.  Our founders believed very strongly that the individual right to bear arms would preserve the independence and freedom won in 1781, just as they had enabled our founders to win the revolutionary war.  They feared tyranny and centralized power—which is why our Constitution was established.  In addition to the checks created by balancing power between a legislature and executive—and checked by a judiciary—the Bill of Rights sought to limit the federal government and clearly stated that those powers not enumerated in the Constitution and delegated to the federal government would remain with the states and the people (the 9th and 10th Amendments).
Yet, our federal government regularly legislates on matters that belong to the states and the people.  Our freedoms are being gradually encroached and choked by ever-increasing regulations, laws, agencies, and overspending.  This concerns me greatly and I fight daily to rein in the size, scope and spending of our federal government.  I believe the greatest threat to our Republic is apathy as our overindulgent federal government, through indebtedness, spends the money of future generations.  James Madison, the architect of our Constitution, said something similar in 1788 in a speech in Virginia when he said, “Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
I am aware of this and I work to push back on all attacks to our Constitution, including those to our Second Amendment. Congress must be careful not to legislate in a way that makes criminals out of law-abiding, gun-owning citizens.
Thank you for being involved and allowing me these last eight years to fight to protect our Constitution.  I daily think about the sacrifices of past generations and I am grateful.  In these last four years, as I finish out my second term, I remain committed to protecting your Second Amendment rights and working to limit our federal government and reduce federal spending.

Sincerely,
Tom A. Coburn, M.D.
United States Senator

TC: lcp
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk