Author Topic: Florida State Senator: Mandatory Anger Mgt. Class To Buy Ammo  (Read 5040 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Really?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/foghorn/audrey-gibson-mandatory-anger-management-before-allowed-to-buy-ammo/#more-207719

Audrey Gibson: Mandatory Anger Management Before Allowed to Buy Ammo

Posted on March 6, 2013 by Nick Leghorn   

A Florida state senator has recently introduced a bill that seeks to end the “plague” of “gun violence” by requiring anyone who wants to buy ammunition to first take an anger management course. Fox News has the details . . .

The bill filed Saturday by state Sen. Audrey Gibson, D-Jacksonville, would require a three-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm and the sale of ammunition to anyone who has not completed anger management courses. The proposal would require ammo buyers to take the anger management courses every 10 years.

“This is not about guns,” Gibson said. “This is about ammunition and not only for the safety of the general community, but also for the safety of law enforcement.”

As a member of the millions of gun owners who have never fired a shot in anger or committed a crime, I find this highly offensive. The requirement for anger management classes makes the assumption that all gun owners are angry, and that the only reason people buy guns is to settle grudges. I’d think that someone with her background would be overly sensitive to laws that assume someone’s behavior based on one of their traits, like the assumption that all black people are too dumb to vote. What she has said by introducing this law is that all gun owners are too angry to own ammunition.

“It’s about getting people to think, really, about how much ammunition they need,” Gibson said. “It’s a step, I think, in a safer direction. It’s about getting people to think before they buy.”

I need as much ammunition as I want, buddy. What does it matter how much ammunition I have on hand? Do I go around asking how many baseball bats you have in your house? Or questioning how many death machines (I mean cars) are in your garage? Do you also want to limit the number of newspapers someone can read?

Gun and ammunition ownership has already been established as an individual, basic human right. A right that is protected by the Constitution and upheld by the Supreme Court. And this Florida legislator wants to introduce an onerous and pointless requirement to keep people from practicing with their legally owned firearm. It fails the “strict scrutiny” test by any account, and would be laughed out of court if introduced.

Gibson insisted the bill is not “accusatory” toward gun and ammunition owners, but rather an effort to improve the safety of her community.

I’m going to call bullshit on that statement. A bill (such as this one) can be BOTH accusatory towards gun owners AND intended to improve security, the two are not mutually exclusive. And the inability for Audrey Gibson to realize exactly how offensive her bill is to gun owners shows exactly how little she thinks of those who own guns. Untermensch, perhaps.

This is another indication of the ongoing vilification of gun owners by gun control advocates. They’re constantly and repeatedly trying to paint gun owners as rednecks and yokels who are too dumb and too irrational to be trusted with firearms, without actually looking at any evidence on the matter. They’re legislating based on personal biases and stereotypes. Gun owners are becoming the new favored and politically correct “minority” to vilify, now that racial issues have more or less died out in the United States. Its just sad that legislators like Audrey Gibson have such a short memory, since it wasn’t too long ago that her parents were being persecuted in the exact same way.

Rather than requiring gun owners to take anger management courses, I think we should require our legislators to take a course on history and the constitution before they propose legislation.

She's from the Jacksonville area. How the hell do these people get elec-----,....nevermind... :-\

Bill will go nowhere.
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 495
Re: Florida State Senator: Mandatory Anger Mgt. Class To Buy Ammo
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
As Sheriff Jim said today, "I have to quit asking how stupid can people be.  They're taking it as a challenge."
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
What? That pisses me off! I'd like to take that stupid heiffer and.....oh, wait a minute, um, buy her flowers and thank her for her valuable input. Yeah, that's what I meant. Can I have some ammo please? ;D

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
I think we need to make I.Q. tests and drug tests manditory before anyone can run for public office.   :P

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
I think we need to make I.Q. tests and drug tests manditory before anyone can run for public office.   :P

Impossible.  No one currently in office would qualify.

CR
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Sponsor

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:46:26 PM »
“It’s about getting people to think, really, about how much ammunition they need,” Gibson said.

More. Lots more you dimwitted twit.
Once you and your friends finish running this economy and this country into the mud farther than you already have, I'm probably gonna need it.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »
How much ammo do I need?  ENOUGH.  When I quit shooting I will know if I purchased the correct amount.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:33:54 AM »
How much ammo do I need?  ENOUGH.  When I quit shooting I will know if I purchased the correct amount.
There's a group buy going on another board. A 50 gallon drum of 12,500 rounds of Lake City 5.56. That seems like about enough. It would manage my anger at least. ;D

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
I would sure feel better if I had 50 gallons of 5.56.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »
I would sure feel better if I had 50 gallons of 5.56.

If I had 1/4 that in each of the calibers I shoot, I would have a lot less anger that needed management.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk