Author Topic: Feinstein: Veterans Have PTSD Shouldn't Own "Assult Rifles"  (Read 3719 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Feinstein: Veterans Have PTSD Shouldn't Own "Assult Rifles"
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »
I'm sure this belief of Feinstein is no shocker, but there is a bit of humor in it.

The problem with expanding this is that, you know, with the advent of PTSD, which I think is a new phenomenon as a product of the Iraq War, it’s not clear how the seller or transfer of a firearm covered by this bill would verify that an individual was a member or veteran and there was no impairment of that individual with respect to having a weapon like this.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/foghorn/feinstein-veterans-all-have-ptsd-and-are-crazy-so-shouldnt-own-modern-rifles/

Iraq War?   Well, it is clear, then, that it is Bush's Fault
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: Feinstein: Veterans Have PSTD Shouldn't Own "Assult Rifles"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
PTSD "... is a new phenomenon as a product of the Iraq War ..."  Wow!

I was trained in Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, which is the process you go through to short circuit PTSD and/or treat PTSD, back in the mid 80's.  I have facilitated many sessions with firefighters, EMS responders, and law enforcement, as well as trained many helpers and some who are very active in this field today.

If this is something tied to the Iraq War how do you explain that we knew about it and dealt with it before we even went after Sadam the first time?

Feinstein is a chronic liar and manipulator of statistics.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
Ok, this has long been a theory of mine. Feel free to pick it apart. I think that a large part of the PTSD phenomenon is due to the fact that we recruit into the military at 18. My personal belief is that if we waited until say 24-25? That the combat related mental disorders would drop significantly. I say this because I believe that at 18 you have not developed the emotional maturity to be able to deal with the realities of war and killing for your country.

Just my own feelings on the matter, but I know that at 18, while I thought I could handle it, I know now that I wouldn't have been able to properly process it. Where as now, in my mid 30's I would have no issue with taking a life under the circumstances of a wartime environment, or self defense for that matter. I can more easily rationalize, and compartmentalize that trauma. I also understand now that bad things happen in war, and would be able to properly handle the emotional response associated with bearing witness to those things. Maybe I've got it all wrong. Maybe it's all because we, as a society have gone soft. It's just my thought on the subject.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Feinstein: Veterans Have PTSD Shouldn't Own "Assult Rifles"
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
Wonder if there are any statistics on age groups suffering PTSD in the military. 

I'd guess some troops haven't faced combat till they are in their mid 20s.

Many might not enter until that age.

If your theory is right, then a high preponderance of the cases would be among the younger soldiers.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Wonder if there are any statistics on age groups suffering PTSD in the military. 

I'd guess some troops haven't faced combat till they are in their mid 20s.

Many might not enter until that age.

If your theory is right, then a high preponderance of the cases would be among the younger soldiers.

That would be something to look at. However something that may blow my entire theory out of the water is the Israelis. They figured out that a person can only handle sustained combat for IIRC 27-30 days before they pretty much loose it mentally.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:26:27 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
JC,

It has nothing to do with age or a specific type of event except it needs to be emotionally traumatizing.  The name describes what is happening:

PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

A Disorder that is Post, or follows, an extremely emotionally and/or physically damaging, Traumatic, situation that creates an emotional response similar to fight or flight, Stress.

Our civil servants (law enforcement, EMS, fire) suffer from this just as much as our armed services do.  It also can affect anybody involved in or witnessing a traumatic event, such as a deadly fire, car accident, or assault.  Our brain releases chemicals in these situations that imprint a response in our memories, and if they are not properly, or until they are properly, dealt with they will cause an on going grief reaction that can range from manic, to reclusive, to depressed, chronically ill, or violent, among many possibilities.

This is something that many "experts" (ex = has been, spurt = drip under pressure) like Di Fi do not know or understand when they start spewing their anti-veteran hate.  For them to focus on one group deprives them of their Rights, and it deprives millions of others from the help they also need.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
Di Fi hits on the head again. Disarm the military, those shouldn't have assault rifles, or tanks or cannons or fighters, or nukes. My GOD, they've got nukes! We'll just diarm for our own protection. Its for the children. ::) ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
PTSD "... is a new phenomenon as a product of the Iraq War ..."  Wow!

Feinstein is a chronic liar and manipulator of statistics.

Di Fi is to damn stupid to be a liar, they keep her around to make Biden look smart.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
Di Fi is to damn stupid to be a liar, they keep her around to make Biden look smart.
Its not working. If either of them were any dumber they'd have to wear a helmet. But at least Shot gun Joe is entertaining. ;D

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
DiFi gives the "c" word a new depth of meaning.

I hate that I would even refer to "that word."

If she needed to pass an intelligence test for her job,  she couldn't qualify to clean the Capital latrines.

Crusader Rabbit 
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk