Author Topic: Ga. City council votes to require gun ownership  (Read 3327 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1081
Ga. City council votes to require gun ownership
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »

Ga. city council votes to require gun ownership

NELSON, Ga. (AP) — Backers of a newly adopted ordinance requiring gun ownership in a small north Georgia town acknowledge they were largely seeking to make a point about gun rights.

The ordinance in the city of Nelson — population 1,300 — was approved Monday night and goes into effect in 10 days. However, it contains no penalties and exempts anyone who objects, convicted felons and those with certain mental and physical disabilities.

City Councilman Duane Cronic, who sponsored the measure, said he knows the ordinance won't be enforced but he still believes it will make the town safer.

"I likened it to a security sign that people put up in their front yards. Some people have security systems, some people don't, but they put those signs up," he said. "I really felt like this ordinance was a security sign for our city."

Another purpose, according to the city council's agenda, is "opposition of any future attempt by the federal government to confiscate personal firearms."

Council members in Nelson, a small city located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to "provide for the emergency management of the city" and to "provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Nelson resident Lamar Kellett was one of five people who spoke during a public comment period Monday night and one of two who opposed the ordinance. Among his many objections, he said it dilutes the city's laws to pass measures that aren't intended to be enforced.

"Does this mean now 55 miles an hour speed limit means 65, 80, whatever you choose? There's not a whole lot of difference. A law's a law," he said.

Kellett also said the ordinance will have no effect, that it won't encourage people like him who don't want a gun to go out and buy one.
The proposal illustrates how the response to the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., varies widely in different parts of the country.

While lawmakers in generally more liberal states with large urban centers like New York and California have moved to tighten gun control laws, more conservative, rural areas in the American heartland have been going in the opposite direction.

http://news.yahoo.com/ga-city-council-votes-require-gun-ownership-003042709.html
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Ga. City council votes to require gun ownership
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:04:34 PM »
I am not in favor of these laws.  It should be some ones choice if they want to own a gun.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
I am not in favor of these laws.  It should be some ones choice if they want to own a gun.

So don't move there.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
Lets replace gun with something like  the koran.   it should

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »

Since you are young and handicapped by a college education I will take the time to correct your ignorance.
As an able bodied male citizen between 16 and 45 you are  a member of militia as established in US Federal law.
That same federal law states that if called on to serve you will provide your own militarily useful arms .
So all citizens are already required to own guns.

http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_act_1792.htm

The Militia Act of 1792, Passed May 8, 1792, providing federal standards for the organization of the Militia.

Sec 1
That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:07:20 PM »

Ulmus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
    • Gunslinger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Don't see many muskets at most gun stores.   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
What if there are no males in the house hold?     Women don't have to sign up for the draft.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1081
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »

FTA:
The ordinance in the city of Nelson — population 1,300 — was approved Monday night and goes into effect in 10 days. However, it contains no penalties and exempts anyone who objects, convicted felons and those with certain mental and physical disabilities.

City Councilman Duane Cronic, who sponsored the measure, said he knows the ordinance won't be enforced but he still believes it will make the town safer.

"I likened it to a security sign that people put up in their front yards. Some people have security systems, some people don't, but they put those signs up," he said. "I really felt like this ordinance was a security sign for our city."

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
I imagine it will make the town safer.

I also like the default attitude it instills.  

You have to petition to not to not be required to have a firearm, rather than you have to petition to be allowed to have a firearm.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:15 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I see it should be expanded.

If you want your Right To Not Bear Arms to be honored:

You will need to fill out a form for a Non-Carry ID Card and pay the fee, and have it on your person to show to a LEO when ever you are not in possession of a weapon.  You will also need to inform the LEOs you are not in possession of a weapon whenever you are in contact with them,.

There is a two week waiting period where you will have to possess a firearm before permission to not have one will be granted.

There will be a list of firearms (all of them)  that you must get a permit not to possess and there will be a limit of 1 firearm on the list you can be exempted from per month.  Until you are exempt from all the firearms on the list, you will be required to posses at least one of the firearms on the approved list.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk