Author Topic: DC v. Heller Decision  (Read 96978 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: DC v. Heller Decision
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
Sure.....

The Kremlin
Sobornaya Ploshad
Moscow 103, Russia

LOL =))))....is Ted Kennedy at the same address???  He might like some stimulating readiing while he recovers -))))
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »
We need to remember that the SCOTUS was only considering the Heller case and the meaning of the 2A in relation to that case.

Because the bringers of the case deliberately filed a very narrow case to give the maximum chance of success, we got a narrow oppinion.

It speaks to keeping a firearm in the home for defense because that is all the case was fighting for.  It allowed registration and licensing because the case did not object to them.

But I believe this ruling is so powerful.  It not only speaks to Gun Freedom, but to the individuals right and responsibility to protect themselves  It has opened the way for every case about self defense.  Every Castle Doctrine bill has a much greater chance for success.

It will be a small task to win a case that extends self defense into your back yard compared to winning this one.

All of a sudden the thrust of the gun control issue has gone from laws after law that chips away at our rights to case after case that will win them back, bit by bit.

I have woken up twice since the decision and still find I am not dreaming.   I posted before, I do believe this will be the most memorable and meaningful 4th of July, Independence Day of my life.

Added to this Crown Jewel is that Ohio passed their Castle Doctrine law this month and a needed reform of their CCW law as well.

The only way things could be better is if I would win the lottery, be able to stop working for a living so I could spend all the time I need to keep up with all the posts you folks make here....

Thanks for a great forum.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »
Cynic that I am, I maintain that the gun/crime issue is just a smokescreen. Government regulation of firearms is fundamentally about establishing a condition among the populace where the word from the Chief, Mayor, Governor or Congress may be unacceptable or disagreeable, but not debatable. The allusion to fighting gun crime is supposed to be the candy coating to disguise the taste of the poison pill. It is ALWAYS about the power, from both sides of the issue. The power to inflict and the power to resist. It is balance that brings social stability.

Mac

+1

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2008, 02:27:43 PM »

More from this week's Heller coverage:

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
LOL =))))....is Ted Kennedy at the same address???  He might like some stimulating readiing while he recovers -))))

Negative................Kennedy is presently availing himself of the finest health care system in the world (at least for now) but will soon return to join Comrades Pelosi and Brady.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Sponsor

« Reply #165 on: Today at 05:17:33 PM »

drjihmd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
This a great day!, We The People, need to activate and struggle for The Right to carry a concealed handgun, in the states, that still listen to dirty politicians and prohibit: The second amendment, it's part of The Constitution man!

1776 Rebel

« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
I have printed out and now read the entire Scalia opinion in Heller. What can I say? I am simply bolled over. The argument made by the Justice is incredibly powerful. It is masterful in its command of the wording and history of the amendment. The precidents are handled in no less a manner. Miller for instance is practically dismissed out of hand. I have never read a full court judgement before. I am not a lawyer. So to read Scalia tearing apart Breyer and Stevens with a tone of a teacher chiding a misbehaving grade school student, is well...unbelievable. Damm he is good. I am sitting here stunned. 

I realize everyone is not going to be reading the 64 page opinion (no less the full 157 pages of the decision) but please try if you can. It is an amazing civics lesson! You will be proud of this decison, the court and the US. Most of all the framers of the constitution.

drjihmd

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2008, 11:31:56 PM »
I still am trilled by the decision, not only means that I can own firearms but that I can bear them, so WE, The People have to fight to get licenses to conceal carry, in states like California, no more lies and prohibitions from politicians, government agencies, Etc.,

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2008, 02:08:03 AM »
Someone mentioned that D.C. was still prohibitting Semi-Automatics for their residents.  Dave Kopel has a June 27. 2008 post on the Volokh Conspiracy at www.volokh.com titled THREE ARTICLES ON HELLER with a link to Miller, Colt 45s and Natural Law.  That link takes you to scotusblog.com with a June 27 post by by Ben Winograd with Kopels work.
From what I read there D.C. bans all self loading rifles and handguns.  Kopel says that it is almost certain that it is unconstitutional and would not pass the Heller test.  Further if I read it correctly any self loading firearm that has had a magazine ever made for it that can hold more than 12 rounds is a machine gun as defined by the D.C. ordinance.
I recommend reading those post.

We have won one battle, but the war for gun rights is far from over.  We must all carry the fight to November and vote pro gun rights.  We are just one vote away on the SCOTUS from "sensible gun laws" gun laws like D.C.'s semi auto "machine gun" ban becoming the permanant law of the land.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »
I wish that I were an artist....just got a vision for a political cartoon.

Does anyone remember a  movie about a group of folks moving a giant cannon through the countryside to bring it to bear against a large fort or castle?  I believe it may have been in Spain.  The folks with the cannon were the good guys, the fort the oppressors.

I remember 3 big things about the movie....that big cannon and Sophia Loren.

Anyway, my vision is to have the Cannon labeled Heller Decision and the Fort labeled Anti-Gun Establishment.  The folks who are moving the Cannon into position are labeled  The People.

Have figures in the ramparts of the Fort labeled Biased Media, Anti-Gun Politicians, Anti-gun Laws, and what ever can be thought of.

Note:  I found the movie  The Pride and the Passion.  It was about the invasion of Spain by Napoleon.  The Cannon was a weapon lost by the French and recovered by the Spanish defenders and used against the invaders.  Fits even better.

—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk