Poll

Has Your S&W Revolver' IL Ever Locked Up On You?  

Has NEVER Locked Up
14 (93.3%)
Has Locked Up
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: S&W Revolvers w/IL  (Read 9946 times)

Ron J

S&W Revolvers w/IL
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:34 PM »
I had not given the internal lock (IL) on Smith & Wesson revolvers much thought ... until I heard where people had problems with their S&W revolvers locking up on them while they were firing.  At the range throwing wad-cutters at paper, maybe not a big deal.  However, in a self defense situation having a gun lock-up would really elevate the pucker factor. 

Here's the question for you folks with S&W revolvers that have the internal lock.  Has your S&W revolver with the IL ever locked up on you? 

Please note that since this poll is pertains to the IL, only lock ups due to the IL should be voted on. Lastly, only want to count votes for guns that are “shooters” and not “safe queens”.  To this, your S&W wheel-gun has to have had at least 200 rounds run through it before voting. 

Thanks!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: S&W Revolvers w/IL
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »
I have three with locks.  One has locked up on me.

I have never intentionally locked them except when the one locked.  It was the first time I shot it, and on the third shot it locked.  I think the lock may have been partially on to start with and vibrated on.  I unlocked it, messed with it, unlocked it, and it has never bothered again.  After that I also took the other two and locked and unlocked them.  Never a problem, and I never touch the locks anymore (the keys are back in the S&W boxes on the shelf away from the guns.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »
Did not read the criteria for voting.  I have a J Frame with IL but have not fired over 200 thru it.  It is one of normal home defense or conceal during certain activities, not a safe queen.  So far so good.  Fired some 158 reloaded ammo and HydroShoks thru it with no problem.
DesertMarine

Ron J

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
M58 - Thanks for the explanation on your lock up.  That is a big help. 
DesertMarine - I just made up a number to show it was a gun folks were using.  158 rounds is close enough!

Thanks!

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »
A freind of mine has one that would not unlock out of the boxThe dealer showed it to the S&W sales Rep. come to find out during assembly a peice of wood chipped off the inside of the grip and jammed the lock,no trouble since but it is mostly a safe queen.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:31:04 AM »

SwoopSJ

• November 12, 1978 - November 2, 2011
  • DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Love thy neighbor.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:50:26 AM »
I have a 642 with the IL and have been problem free so far.  I don't know how many rounds I've fired in it, but it most definitely is not a safe queen.  I never really considered this as a possibilty before, but the pucker factor, as you mentioned earlier would definitely increase if it were to fail to go BOOM.  The phrase "...greased bb with a sledge" comes to mind! :o
Swoop

"...to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."  --Richard H. Lee

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:51:53 AM »
I've heard way too many close calls with Smith's ILS, go ahead and call me paranoid but that design is faulty and I hope to God it doesn't kill someone one day. Smith has a time bomb on their hands.

But damn they've got some cool looking guns.

*On a side note, does anyone else notice that when you press the "preview" button the post preview box is much darker than it used to be? When did that start?
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »
MB has a write up on that problem in one of the threads here.  He had a lock up (repeatedly as I remember).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Ron J

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
MB has a write up on that problem in one of the threads here.  He had a lock up (repeatedly as I remember).

Yes.  If I recall, Mr. Bane had his S&W Mountain Gun lock up.  I think Mas Ayoob has also written about S&W’s locking up as well.  When two of the industry’s best writers and authorities on weapons have issues, it can mean bad PR for the folks at S&W … OR an opportunity to make something right.   

To this, what S&W could do is simply say that out of “X” revolvers produced, we documented where “X”  locked up for various reasons.  Knowing that a failure percent of even .002% is unacceptable, we changed the spring in the locking mechanism so you can have “to hell and back” (  ;D ) reliability when you pick up your S&W revolver.  Of course the slippery slope of margin returns could smack them down when people want the “new spring” in their older IL guns. 

Which makes sense when I read a forum posting somewhere where someone claimed that S&W “quietly” made a change to a spring on the IL.  Wish I could validate this.  It would make buying a S&W revolver much easier. 

I could live with the lock.  But I may not live if it locks unexpectedly.  One needs to have confidence in their higher-end firearms. Like what Neon said, we’re not buying “time bombs”. 

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:22:10 PM »
I took my 637 with IL apart and looked at the lock.  Feels like a very light spring as it comes from the factory.  I am not an engineer so I cannot validate that.  It would be very simple to fix but S&W and the politically correct would say, can't do that, even though it might save your life.  It is simply a way to take the lock off.  I am going to go shoot mine and see what happens with the lock as it came from factory.  Then I'll decide what to do. 
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk