Author Topic: Camping Handguns  (Read 23462 times)

Gossamer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Camping Handguns
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
Well my family and I went camping this weekend. We camped out at Sand Ridge SP in the western part of the great state of IL. There is a trap range out there that I did not see the first time we camped there so the next trip I think that my .410 and .16 gauge are going to come with us. No trouble other than some of our fellow campers did not realize that quiet hours really mean to be quiet. So my lovely and stern wife went over there and explained to the teenagers that they needed to keep their teeth together.

I am a little disappointed that there seem to be so many people that are against camping. We heard whooperwills, owls, woopeckers and saw lots of deer and wild turkeys while we were out. Life is better out of doors if for no other reason that it makes you appreciate your home more. Take care all.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »
I'm not against camping although I joke about it. At this stage of my life I want soft couches and massages from lovely women, not rocks and bugs and tourists in pop-ups. But then, I live on the ocean, so I guess that's a big like camping...it can get pretty wild pretty quick.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Gossamer

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:32 PM »
Rocks are your friend! The big ones can be used as pillows. I understand what you mean about wanting to take it easy. I have to use a cane or crutches to walk and there are times where I wonder why I am doing this to myself. Then I see something that reminds me that one day I might not be able to walk at all so I need to get out and see all I can while I am able.

You are gutsier than me. I could not live next to the ocean. I would want to play in it all the time and eventually something would eat me or my own foolishness would do me in.

On the subject I took my daughter out to the range last week and she really took to my Marlin 1894 in .45LC and think that might be coming camping instead of one handgun. The Remington replica is still coming though. Does anyone know about rail forearms for 1894's? I heard that some where being dreamed up by manufacturers but cannot find any. Take care.

k39noodles

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:53 PM »
I'm not against camping although I joke about it.

Right on, jaybethel.  I've nothing against camping.  It's just that, unlike a bear, or the Pope, there are certain things I don't enjoy doing in the woods.  I, too, have spent most of my life living near (or practically on) the ocean.  Mine was just a bigger, bluer one.  That is certainly living with a constant awareness of nature, isn't it?  I miss it, but as soon as my youngest finishes high school (one more year) I think we'll head for big, deep waters again.

Like Gossamer, I've been on crutches and a cane for the past ten months.  I was going down some stairs (to the indoor range at a local gun shop), and toward the bottom did something wrong and ended up landing on both kneecaps on the concrete floor below.  No bones broken, but I managed to rupture both quad tendons, requiring double surgery on both knees, to reattach them, with incisions that started at the point of each shoulder and ended up between my big and middle toes.  Big suckers, anyway.  I'm a fighter, so I got my range of motion back in half the time of a man a third my age.  But the 6 weeks of total immobility caused a lot of atrophy in those quads.  I only use the cane, on doctor's orders, in public now - just to keep the public at bay, since I'm a bit easier to tip than a cow.  In the early days of the recovery, I just felt my exertion better applied to getting into Morton's, or up the front stairs to the Saddle Peak Lodge, than to some place where I could look for a bigger rock to use as a pillow.

Speaking of the Saddle Peak, it's one of my favorite places in the world.  It's an extended, expanded old cowboy bar in the Malibu Mountains.  Malibu was one of the biggest, and certainly most beautiful, of the old land grant ranches in California, and the last, female descendent of the land-grant family married the ranch forman, and it became known as the Rindge Ranch.  Their daughter, Rhoda Rindge, in the 1920s, had mounted, armed riders patrolling the barbed wire fences trying to keep out the "eminent domain" folks from extending the Coast Highway through her property.  As usual, the lawyers got all her money, and the State got the land.  All she saved was the Adohr (Rhoda spelled backward) Dairy, which is still very big today.

The Saddle Peak is a reminder of those days.  It is very rustic in appearance and filled with beautifully mounted trophy heads.  They serve a LOT of game dishes but prepared in unique American/Continental sauces.  They have the wine list to go with the food, but I used to take some from my own collection for special dinners.  There were a lot of those.

I wish some of your contributers were a bit more tolerant of California.  Like everywhere else in this country, it's filled with Americans.  Just because there are a higher percentage of politicians who are f---ed, has no bearing on the people who live there.  Having been raised (and now living) in Western Pennsylvania - "Deerhunter" country - I'll guarantee you that there are many more gun shops, and ranges where you can shoot them, in Los Angeles than there are here in Pittsburgh.  I think that many more people in LA carry concealed than they do here as well.  They don't have the CC Permit that I have in my wallet right now, but just have better holsters because of that.  Short magazines - no semi-autos - no assault rifles?  I don't know what the California laws are now, and I'll guarantee that most of the residents don't either.  The Arizona border isn't that far away, and you can buy anything there.  Can & do!  Boys will be boys and girls will be girls.  Californians are well armed.

I'll tell you a few funny things about Arizona, but that's another letter.  Meanwhile, back in the woods . . .

Later,

Bill  (k39noodles)

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »
Most of the time when I am out by the Columbia River camping I wear my Glock 19 in a sholder holster, and now that I have it, my Puma. I have those to on me at all times almost. In my backpack, not main camping clothes bag, that stays in the tent, but in my backpack that is on me or next to me at all times, is a 100 rounds of 9mm and a 100 .357 mag. My back pack always has my water, towel. book, iPod and other stuff in it. So it kinda just goes everywhere with me.

Over there snakes are really common so I suppose a .410\.45 would be supreme for handgun, but I run what I got and know that my Ka-Bar can chop the head off any snake and has already more than once.

Also alot of times I will have my 1911 with me, but I like the Glock more in the sholder holster cause i sit on the bank of the river alot and it seems alot of times with having the full size 1911 on my waist I seem to roll it in the dirt and sand alot when it is on my waist. So I try to keep my hand gun up higher so I dont punch the barrel in the sand when I sit. I use a serpa II holster so maybe another holster would help this from happening.
Did we win???

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:16:39 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
I usually take a Para .45 loaded with 15 hollowpoints when camping. Any good brand of ammo, any weight, +P or regular.

I sure miss the Dan Wesson .357 Magnum that I used to have. I sometimes had Remington mult-ball ammo in it, with 2 000 Buckshot per round. I also had a lot of 110 and 125 grain CCI Lawman Penta-Point ammo back then.

During deer season I can only carry a rimfire if I don't have a deer-hunting license. Then I carry a Ruger 22/45 or Mark II Target with high-velocity ammo.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 02:51:24 AM »
Hi Bill,
Yep, old bones don't take the hard ground and damp air (or at least that's one of the excuses I use ;) )
Haz

Gee Haz....what's that other name for a cat?   ;)

For camping, which I usually do in Arkansas, I generally have my Kimber 1911 in 10 MM if I'm going to be roaming the woods and might disturb a black bear.  The 10MM at full power is probably my best stopper in a handgun (shot a 500 S&W this week...it's on the want one list!).  Around the campsite I used to keep a CZ 75B in 40 S&W...but I like my M&P 45 so much I'm thinking about carrying that in the camping area now....first round rat shot for the rattlers.

For an in camp rifle...I like my CZ 452 full wood stock in 17 HMR....though the new kid on a the block I'll be bringing next time is a Ruger 10/22 on a 3 position adjustable Fajen stock with an AAC Cloak barrel ( hush --- hush ).  Hunting with supressors is legal in Arkansas....my ears are most happy with this arrangement.  For bigger work...I've got an AR-15 with and AAC M2000 (thank you again Arkansas for protecting my hearing) for longer range varmints and self defense (never know when some meth freak will visit). 

Bill  (k39noodles)----Welcome to the forum.  Your stories and observations are great!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
I used to camp and fish almost every weekend, but, I don't much any more. Due to circumstances beyond my control I can't walk on uneven terrain very well and sometimes do good to make it accross flat ground.
I always carry my 4 3/4" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag in a Hunter crossdraw.
The first two in order in the tubes are CCI snakeshot. The next two are .44 Spl JHP's. The last two are Cor-Bon JHP boomers.
I keep a big supply of spare ammo in a carrier.
Our biggest threat in my area is rattlesnakes and 2-legged predators.
I think I'm sufficiently armed.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 12:16:58 AM »
I usually take my usual carry pistols. Last camping trip, my GLOCK 30 and my Taurus 617 .357.
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »
Ahhhh, this thread again....... Going backpacking in October..... Cant wait!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk