Author Topic: 9 vs 45 vs 40 etc.  (Read 13438 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
Re: 9 vs 45 vs 40 etc.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
The 9x19mm and .40 S&W both operate at pressures 67% higher than the .45 ACP. Everyone says the .40 is hard on guns and wears them out too fast. Does the 9mm at the same pressure cause excessive wear?

For some reason not as much. Perhaps it's because of the smaller breech face transmits less energy over a smaller surface area, along with the .40 S&W having more recoil. But it's a proven fact over millions of rounds that .40's wear out guns faster.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
I am an unreconstructed 1911 fan after years of using it. But my new 1911s are 9mm. 9mm seems to be the sweet spot for and old guy. Less recoil, same accuracy and stopping power with the new ammo as the old .45.
Am I going to get rid of my .45s. Heck no!
I am a fan of my Sig 9mms as posted earlier. I have won or placed in the top 3 in league with my old German Police turn in 226 and with my S&W 1911 9mm.
Here is the monkey wrench thrown in. The .380 seems to be gaining a lot of popularity.
Hmmm, I wonder about a nice Walther PPK. It could be a nice carry piece -- Shades of Commander Bond. ;)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
I am an unreconstructed 1911 fan after years of using it. But my new 1911s are 9mm. 9mm seems to be the sweet spot for and old guy

[snip]

Here is the monkey wrench thrown in. The .380 seems to be gaining a lot of popularity.
Hmmm, I wonder about a nice Walther PPK. It could be a nice carry piece -- Shades of Commander Bond. ;)

Check AIM Surplus.  They've got some used Star B 9mm 1911s   I might even order one.

NEVER MIND. Got the email from them at 5:16pm yesterday and just went to their web site today (4pm) and they are sold out.   I DEFINITELY will get one next time.  $289.95

Carried a PPK/s for 20+ years.  Did not like shooting it, but it was flat and concealed well.   But I think I'll pass.  My Shield conceals okay and I feel better with the 9mm.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
I have one of the S&W made Walther PPK's in .380.  It's a nice small gun but it's heavy for the size and worse than that it has sharp edges and corners. 

Unlike Mr. Bane, I not only acknowledge my Dremel Limitations I adhere to them.   :o

I generally carry it in an ankle holster when I carry it.  As far a being .380...that's just a 9mm short with a lighter bullet.

My everyday carry is a 9MM because it's lighter and more concealable.  I don't perceive the difference in bullet performance as large a factor as say the 1) ability to conceal 2) ability to control and 3) capacity versus the 45 or the 40.

If I knew I was going to do battle with drugged out ISIS guys in the sandbox I'd go with the 45 hands down...or more likely a 10MM 1911 like Kimber makes.  Ditto for a backup for hog and bear hunting.

As far as bullets wearing a gun out...after several thousand rounds out of a 45 M&P and a 1911 versus several thousand each out of 9MM M&P, CZ's, FN's, etc. I dunno if that is a big factor.  By the time you wear out a 40 or a 45...if it wears out first, you'll be able to buy a 9MM on the savings.

For me the 9MM works better for everyday conceal. 

Also, if pinched for cash, the savings can be invested in a 22 LR pistol of similar construct to your primary carry and used for training.  Now, I say a 22 LR because the biggest boost I get in gun handling is when I train with my centerfire weapon and a 22 side by side.   Every so often I swap from centerfire to 22 with the reduced recoil and catch myself pickup up old bad habits of anticipating recoil, improper trigger control, etc.  The more I train with the 22 the less often I have too!

My 2 cents.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »

Not for people with big hands. I could never get my big paws around those tiny little guns. I purchased a Bond Arms Stainless Steel Derringer in .45 Colt / 3" .410 because I was so impressed with it's quality construction, I just had to have it. I can barely shoot it because I can't hold on to the damn thing. Those little Ruger LCP's would get lost in my hand, and I'd end up shooting my finger off. For me a Glock 26 with the 12 round extended magazine is as small as I can go.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:01:22 AM »

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 08:03:55 AM »
Just gotta join the conversation here.  Billt's acknowledgement that his choice is a Glock 26 sounds about right to me.  I carry a 27 because I have always liked the ballistics of .40 S&W.  That said, I  made a recent purchase of a Lone Wolf threaded conversion barrel in 9mm for my 27. 

I've run a few dozen 9mm rounds through it at a local range and I have to admit, I see very little difference in recoil, shot placement, or anything else noticeable from shooting .40 S&W.  Modern ballistics have done much to equalize performance.

It is nice to have a second option, though.

Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
Alf, Rastus, and Billt,

Thanks for your comments on the .380 and PPK. I still like the PPK idea, but it does bark and kick with full power  defensive ammo. Not as much with Cabela's Herters target stuff -- could be due to the lighter bullet.

I have been trying out the S&W Walther PPK. I have not noticed any sharp edges. I like the S&W because of the bigger beaver tail than on the German one my friend carries -- but his is older by a lot. I have another friend that has a PPKs that he is selling because he does not like that it bites the web of his hand. So, he has switched to the Ruger LC9 like the one I could not wait to get rid of.

Alf's comment about the 9mm Shield is interesting. The Shield is a bit smaller, I think, than my old reliable Sig P6. But, Alf, how is the Shield's trigger? I hear less than stellar things about the trigger pull. I guess I'll have to find a buddy who has one and try it out.

On the .22 thing, I happen to have a .22 PPKs German one that I love to shoot. It has a nice trigger and is accurate enough for the North Macomb SC Pistol League annual mouse gun shoot. A couple of friends borrow it for the shoot. They have been close, but haven't out shot me yet. It is the reason I have been thinking about the PPK .380 as a carry gun.

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
I've heard of people getting bit by the PPK if they use to high a hold.
Usually 1911 shooter used to the "idiot proof " beaver tail .

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 07:08:37 PM »
The Shield's trigger is about the same as most striker fired guns.  Not great, but not bad.   I did 25 yd work this past week and it took a very slow, deliberate pull to keep it on paper at 25 yds (paper means 1/2 size USPSA target).   I only worked on the 25 yd range with it because I want to be prepared in case a long shot is needed sometime.

Of course the PPK is a DA/SA so after the first shot you've got excellent trigger.   I'm just not ready to go back to .380.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »
Thanks, Alf
That helps me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk