Author Topic: Gun Shop vs Gun Rights  (Read 6414 times)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun Shop vs Gun Rights
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
I worked at a gun shop's anniversary event over the weekend and an issue came up that caused some friction between the shop and our organization-http://www.oregonfirearms.org/

Our organization states that if your gun shop does not release a firearm after 3 days of Form 4473 you need to find a new gun shop.  This is based off of Federal law and our belief that a right delayed is a right denied (MLK Jr.).  The gun shop in question has a 30 day policy, which puts them at odds with our position-hence the friction.  Discussing their decision with one of the owners another shop was referred to that released firearms after 3 days and had an ATF anal exam.  I asked if there were any fines assessed and he didn't know (which led me to question how much he really knew).  He went on to say that they like their ATF agents and the agents were former Spec Ops and "you don't really want to piss off Spec Ops (ATF) guys".

I let my boss know and he sent an email something like:

Why do you think you would piss off ATF and lose your business?  Federal law specifically protects you.  How does ATF even enter into this?  This is a local police issue.

I know dealers, including my club, that do transfers and have never had a problem.  The law is the law.   You can do everything they want and still piss off ATF, but that does not change the law.

Why do you think transferring after 30 days without an approval is ok but not  after 3 days?  HB 4147*** would have said you could never transfer, and then they made it 10 to 15 days.

If that had passed when would you have agreed to do a transfer?

***HB 4147 is a bill we are trying to defeat this session here in Oregon and we are almost there!

I know that within our community some are in it to make a living and not much else.  At the other end of the spectrum are those that will turn down business to States that infringe on citizens rights.  This shop has supported us from the beginning of their business (3 years) but at what point, and to what degree, should we expect those in the industry to tow the line?

:rant off: ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Gun Shop vs Gun Rights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:33:48 PM »
I think there are two things that play into this issue:

1) What the law should be.  IMHO there has to be some point at which - after never receiving word from NICS, the sale should be able to proceed.  If that doesn't exist, then they could simply stop processing background checks and end all sales.  Is three days a bit short?  Probably - however they will likely run up against any deadline that is set.

2) The ability and moral responsibility of gun sellers to refuse to sell a firearm to someone they suspect of being prohibited and/or dangerous.  If someone walks in who is obviously profoundly mentally ill, I don't care if they can pass a NICS check - I want them to refuse the sale and call the cops.  This person needs help and calling the cops might get them that help - and maybe, just maybe prevent something horrible from happening.

Just my 2 cents worth......

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »
I think there are two things that play into this issue:

1) What the law should be.  IMHO there has to be some point at which - after never receiving word from NICS, the sale should be able to proceed.  If that doesn't exist, then they could simply stop processing background checks and end all sales.  Is three days a bit short?  Probably - however they will likely run up against any deadline that is set.
IMHO there should be no background checks, that is what "shall not be infringed" means.

2) The ability and moral responsibility of gun sellers to refuse to sell a firearm to someone they suspect of being prohibited and/or dangerous.  If someone walks in who is obviously profoundly mentally ill, I don't care if they can pass a NICS check - I want them to refuse the sale and call the cops.  This person needs help and calling the cops might get them that help - and maybe, just maybe prevent something horrible from happening.

Just my 2 cents worth......

Gun sellers can deny any one at any time for any reason under the law, which is not infringing on anyone's rights (the way it ought to be).  The issue here is if you won't release a firearm to a customer after 3 days then why would you do it after 30 days?  The law protects you either way.

As for preventing anything bad from happening preemptively, that is a fairy tale.  We have a duty to our communities to ensure they are safe, beyond just hiring a bunch of guys, giving them a little training and a badge. Criminals by definition do not play by the rules and will acquire or make any weapon they need regardless of the law.
He who dares wins.  SAS

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »
I have said it for years, guns should be cash and carry
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1463
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:06:12 PM »
I have said it for years, guns should be cash and carry

Pre 1968 ;D
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:07:10 AM »

fatbaldguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Friends, don't let friends, shop Wal-Mart
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store.  Just sayin.
“It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.”

James Madison

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 06:56:05 PM »
IMHO there should be no background checks, that is what "shall not be infringed" means.

Gun sellers can deny any one at any time for any reason under the law, which is not infringing on anyone's rights (the way it ought to be).  The issue here is if you won't release a firearm to a customer after 3 days then why would you do it after 30 days?  The law protects you either way.

As for preventing anything bad from happening preemptively, that is a fairy tale.  We have a duty to our communities to ensure they are safe, beyond just hiring a bunch of guys, giving them a little training and a badge. Criminals by definition do not play by the rules and will acquire or make any weapon they need regardless of the law.

I think it was in Houston that a group of about 10 tore the doors off a gun store with a truck and chain and made off with something like 40 guns. I just saw the video today. You can't stop criminals from engaging in criminal behavior. It's in their nature.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
I think it was in Houston that a group of about 10 tore the doors off a gun store with a truck and chain and made off with something like 40 guns. I just saw the video today. You can't stop criminals from engaging in criminal behavior. It's in their nature.

Only one effective way to do that....and the libtards are trying as hard as they can to remove that ability from law-abiding citizens.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 910
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »
Federal law states that you can complete the transaction if the approval is not received within 72 hours!

Sorry, but I don't shop at Sarah Brady's Gun Shop!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 07:45:21 AM »

No constitutional right is absolute.  Not every gun law - in the opinion of SCOTUS (and that's what counts) - constitutes an infringement.

As applied to the subject of background checks, given that Heller makes it clear that felons and severely mentally ill persons may be forbidden to own and possess firearms.  Given this fact, at least some background checks are, therefore likely constitutional.  (This does not mean they are effective, just that under Heller they are likely constitutional.)

However, this does not mean that background checks could not constitute an infringement upon our 2nd Amendment rights.  Waiting periods have already been ruled unconstitutional.  A background check system that is not effectively instant the vast majority of the time and/or has no time limit is almost certainly unconstitutional.

Of course, if we lose the upcoming election or the RINOs cave and confirm an Obama appointment, then Heller will likely be over turned and we will have to do our best to pass an amendment to restore our 2nd Amendment rights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk