Author Topic: Shok-Buffs  (Read 5024 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
Shok-Buffs
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »
Love 'em or hate 'em....here's why I don't use them any more.
Thought I had removed them from all my 1911's long ago until I grabbed one of my old Bullseye guns to take it down and wipe and lube it.
Found this shok-buff in there.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
Re: Shok-Buffs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
I use them only in my full-size alloy frame. I never had one fail one but maybe the black rubber kind I use is tougher. I just checked and it's showing signs of impact and seems to be getting stiffer, maybe from solvent and oil. Time to change it before it gets brittle. Thanks for the heads up PegLeg.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
I know the Wilson ones I have specifically say to replace them around at 1000 Rounds.  I have forgotten to and left them in longer but not to long.  My complaint with them is the 1911 ones are ina package of 6 for $7 and the Glocks (that I shoot more and have two) are singles for $10
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
Yes, long term storage and solvents and oils could have been the issue.
Thanks for bringing that up.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:03:13 PM »
Love 'em or hate 'em....here's why I don't use them any more.
Thought I had removed them from all my 1911's long ago until I grabbed one of my old Bullseye guns to take it down and wipe and lube it.
Found this shok-buff in there.

Same here. I started to have FF, FE on both my 5" and 6" 1911's. I was using reloads of mine. Someone at the club told me to take the shok-buffs out and the problem went away.
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:27:31 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »
There are similar "factory" buffers in my Marlin Camp 9.  They crumble after so many years and rounds.   I bought extra after market ones that are suppose to last longer. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:58:33 AM »
I also use a buffer in my late 70s Ruger 10/22. It's a solid rubber "dowel rod" that replaces the steel pin. So far, so good. The constant batterring of the steel pin in the alloy reciever egged out the holes after 20 years. It doesn't seem to be affected by gun cleaning chemicals yet but that's another thing I need to check on. If it fails I don't know what will happen. This thread may save a bunch of us trouble with rubber buffers.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

1776 Rebel

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
I have used the Blackjack buffers in my Marlin Camp. Made of Delrin and they don't seem to have the crumble effect of the factory stuff. Was wondering if anyone has used the Ace 1911 buffer system?

http://www.acecustom45s.com/guiderods.htm

Links below to both the Dupont page on Delrin (pretty impervious to solvents - used in car fuel systems) and Blackjack (they make buffers for some gnarly full auto stuff also).

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/Products/Delrin/Delrin.html

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&sort=20a&page=2

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:34:59 PM »
I know the Wilson ones I have specifically say to replace them around at 1000 Rounds.  I have forgotten to and left them in longer but not to long.  My complaint with them is the 1911 ones are ina package of 6 for $7 and the Glocks (that I shoot more and have two) are singles for $10

I forgot to mention in my original post that they were Wilson Shok Buffs.

doc watson

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »
Don't use em, nor full length guide rods, nor curb feelers etc., Old John Mose knew what he was doing so I a mere mortal don't try to muck up what he built.  Remember reliability over all other considerations.  I don't see that using shock buffs make the weapon more reliable.  Just the opinion of one old Cop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk