Author Topic: I did some work on my AR-15s a couple days ago.  (Read 6188 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1218
Re: I did some work on my AR-15s a couple days ago.
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2024, 10:05:53 PM »
I also recently found what I believe are the safety plunger and spring for my 10/22 that went flying weeks earlier. I remember hearing 2 impacts, one way over to my left and one to my right. I looked all over with a flashlight and magnet before I got new parts. They were still assembled and lying on the floor to just the left of my chair where the other spring was yesterday. Weird. No matter how many parts fly in which direction, they all end up in the same spot next to my chair or slightly behind that. Now I know where to look. And to keep looking until they show up.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2024, 03:34:21 AM »
Here's why it was so important I have the Night Fision front sght detent and not just any other for my night sight. You use a sight adjustment tool to adjust the bottom part to the right height, then turn the top part around facing you. The detent in the middle of the picture I took is the Night Fission flanked by 2 generic front sight detents. The narrow part on top isn't that much longer, but with a smaller taper at the end, it's effectively longer still, and will engage the top half of the sight much better. I'm not the only one who likes them. The only review with a picture says it's the best sight on the market. As far as tritium sights are concerned, I agree. They have more tritium for longer life and are guaranteed to last. This has 4.8 stars based on 14 reviews. The only review that wasn't 5 stars was one where the guy said they sent him the old .12 inch wide sight, not the .09 wide second generation. But I'm sure they would have done a free exchange. The sights are still available with 6 different color rings around the green tritium, including black if you don't want a big colored ring. The custom sight installation tool is included. It has a large hollow center to accept the sight blade.

https://www.nightfision.com/product/night-fision-perfect-dot-tritium-night-sights-for-ar-15-and-ar-10-rifles
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2024, 06:25:43 AM »
I ordered a charging handle for the can cannon, a KNS Precision PERMA Pin, and 2 Luth-AR helical 1 Piece gas rings, along with some other stuff from Detroit Ammo Co. I'm TRYING to finish these builds. I still need to buy a .315" push-button QR pivot pin from KNS, for 25 bucks.

https://knsprecisioninc.com/push-button-pivot-pin-315-dia/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2024, 12:46:24 AM »
I bought an Olight Sigurd Angled Grip Light to put on my 16" barrel AR upper. It already has a Magpul M-LOK AFG - Angled Fore Grip on it, and it will be replacing that. I can take the light off the front sight base slimming it down and taking a little weight off the muzzle. I just moved the MI Tactical Bottle Opener, ​M-LOK to the right-hand side, in the first of 3 slots. That gives me 1 3/4" of handguard in front of it so I can rest it against barriers and use the bottle opener as a barricade stop. I ordered a 13-slot Picatinny rail to put it on, but slapped the light onto my VRF14 just to see how it looks. That's my only gun with a Picatinny rail, and it's way undersized. I stuck 3 layers of electrical tape on top of the light to take up the slop, but the rail is too narrow to use anything that slides over the end. It works better with things that clamp on from the side. And it's easier to shim it out with tape if I have to. The light has a maximum 1,450 lumens and 14,400 candela with a 240 meter (797 foot) throw. It will only run on high for 2 1/2 minutes before it tapers down to 480 lumens for almost 2 1/2 hours before it drops down again, to 290 lumens before it dies. 480 lumens looks pretty bright in the house. I haven't looked around outside with it yet. It will run on low, 290 lumens for 4 hours.

https://www.olightstore.com/sigurd-angled-grip-light

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2024, 02:50:10 AM »
The 13 Slot M-Lok Picatinny Rail I ordered is 5.5" long, and 3 slots on the handguard are 6" long. It looks like I'll use 2 1/2 or 3 of the 4 slots and have 1 or 1 1/2 slots left to plug. I already have a piece of Magpul rail cover type 1, 1 slot long and one 1/2 slot long that were on the VRF14. The Olight Sigurd is 6.54" long and will take up a lot of the 8.9" carbine length MOE SL handguard. There's only 2.36" left over. The regular MOE handguard is only 7.1" long, and would leave me with .56" left if I had that. It only has 3 slots on the bottom instead of 4, and they both have 3 slots on the sides. I like these rail cover to plug leftover holes. They have lines inside and out to guide you in cutting whole and half sections off. The inside lines are halfway between the outside lines. They'll cover 6 slots, so one will do both sides of an MOE or MOE SL carbine length handguard, and there are 2 in a box. I'm going to use these on my 20" AR too.

https://magpul.com/m-lok-rail-covers-type1.html?mp_global_color=118

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 07:38:31 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2024, 11:15:00 AM »
I got the 1,450 lumen Olight Sigurd (240 meter throw) mounted on the 16" AR today on a 13-slot Picatinny rail on the bottom of the handguard. The Pic rail is aluminum, hollowed out on the back to save weight, and takes up 3 slots. I put a half-slot piece of Magpul rail cover behind it. I already took the Olight 800-lumen PL Turbo Tactical Light with Spotlight and Floodlight (515 meter throw) off the VRF14 and put it on my Remington shotgun, and I put the 1,000 lumens PL-3S Valkyrie Rail Mount Light (200 meter throw) that was on the left side of my 12.7" AR on my VRF14. I put the 1,350 lumen Baldr Pro Tactical Light & Green Laser (260 meter throw) on the bayonet lug mount on the 12.7" AR instead. I gave the elevation on the laser a turn and have it somewhere near parallel. I'll have to wait until I fix my vise to adjust it better. My vise is in pieces after trying to bend a couple pieces of steel that didn't want to bend any more. Not even with a sledgehammer, hence the broken vise (and workbench in need of repair). :( Now there's nothing on the FSB mount, and I can use the QD sling port on either side.

I have the 2 highest lumen lights on the rifles and the 2 lowest on the shotguns. I still have the 1,000 lumen Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount HL-X weapon-mounted light (447 meter throw) on my MechTech CCU, and may not put a light on the 20" AR at all. I don't plan on carrying a 20" rifle with a scope and bipod at night when I have a 16" upper with a light on it. I used a Sharpie to black out all the markings on the PL Turbo, PL-3S Valkyrie, and Baldr Pro, except for the 3-way switch markings on the Baldr Pro that tells you laser, laser + light, and light. The Sigurd is already completely black, except for some markings on the bottom of the head, and they make a Desert Tan model that's completely tan except for the same markings. I blacked mine out with a Sharpie. The PL Turbo and PL-3S Valkyrie are both 1.44" wide and have 2 Olight 1600 mAh CR123A non-rechargeable lithium batteries. But the PL Turbo is .39" longer, and .08" taller, and .28 ounces heavier than the the PL-3S Valkyrie. They look nearly identical, except for the longer head on the PL Turbo. I have some spare Olight batteries but bought a dozen spare 1,550 mAh SureFire lithium 123A batteries too. They have a 10-year shelf life.

https://www.olightstore.com/sigurd-angled-grip-light

https://www.olightstore.com/baldr-pro

https://www.olightstore.com/pl-3s-valkyrie-rail-mount-light

https://www.olightstore.com/pl-turbo-tactical-flashlight-with-spotlight-and-floodlight

https://www.surefire.com/123a-batteries/?sku=SF12-BB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk