Author Topic: Practiscore  (Read 247 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
Practiscore
« on: June 16, 2024, 10:32:52 AM »
It's the standard in match registration and scoring.  I've downloaded the app which is the app for the match end, not the competitor end (to register or check your matches you use the WWW portal) so I haven't tried to do anything with it.   I did a contribution to "help" the app owner and so I could have an emoji next to my name.  I've always been curious how their business model worked.   I made all sorts of assumptions about how they probably charged Match Directors for certain features which is why some don't use the pay-online feature.

SO I WAS ALL WRONG.  I might still be wrong, but here goes.   Steer me to sources to fill in the gaps or correct me if I'm wrong.

PS created, by an individual (name?) who did it as his contribution to the shooting sports.  It is free to use both from the Match side and the Competitor side.   PS does charge for ads.   Scoring Tech will create most any format (discipline) for use in scoring for no charge.  Which begs the question of why CMP/NRA and GSSF don't use it.  Or use it more.    Maybe they feel lack of control over format and data.

Here's the neat part now that I've started playing with it.   You can setup your own Match for practice.  Record your times and scores to analyze later.   Works great for Steel Challenge since your just recording times of strings with no misses.  I haven't dug into it but it looks like they've added AI target scoring and shot timer to the app!!! < I was wrong>  Using the AMG-labs Commander timer you can bring over the times of not just live fire but dry fire as well, at least time to first shot/click.  This is where revolvers have an edge so we can actually record whole strings of dry fire with split times. 

So fill me in here, I'm really just getting to know PS from the match side beyond entering scores at matches.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Practiscore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 11:53:07 AM »
So much to learn about Score Tracking.

Went to the forum and found the LOG App which is specifically designed to log your practice sessions without creating a match.  And the Competitor App that allows you to view scores, compare scores, download scores realtime, etc.  They have a one time fee ($16 for Log). 

Got to find out more about the AI scoring and the shot timer. <IF they exist or are somebody else's app>
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 11:15:06 AM »
From the Practiscore Facebook Group.

About PractiScore
PractiScore was originally developed by Ken Nelson in 2010 to make his job as a match director easier and less time consuming. Having spent many hours calculating scores by hand and posting them online, Ken was determined to find a better way.

To solve his problem, Ken turned to the engineers at his software company and worked with them to develop a brand new system. The result was PractiScore: a simple, easy-to-use match management and scoring system for practical shooting.

Not satisfied with helping just his own matches, Ken took his new tool to matches across the country. For five years he funded PractiScore himself and worked countless hours to help clubs and match directors implement it into their matches.

Unable to keep pouring his own money into PractiScore but determined to keep it alive, Ken turned to his engineers once again to find a way to make it sustainable. The solution was simple: create an advertising platform that would allow companies in the practical shooting and  firearms industry to reach the largest audience of practical shooters in the world.

Today PractiScore is the #1 ad platform for reaching practical shooters and the predominant match management and scoring system. We continue to develop new services and are dedicated to supporting the practical shooting community. After all, we're shooters ourselves.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 11:27:12 AM »
So PS is ad based revenue plus a minor amount from contributions.  The parent company is Scoring Tech, which I deduced from the App Store's download was tagged as such.
But it's still free for matches.  I don't need the Competitor app as I learned a while back how to grab all the scrores online and load them in a spreadsheet for whatever analysis I want to do.  (I did do one for an IDPA official that compared day time verses night time, low light, scores, over the same courses of fire by the same competitors.)

The LOG app is $16 as is the COMPETITOR one.

There is an Apple Watch based shot timer.  (I'm not buying an Apple)

I've downloaded the LOG so I can use it in practice, but... Oh. Wait.  Birthday's coming up.  I need the AMG-lab Commander Timer.  Just saying.

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 01:35:16 PM »
<snip>
There is an Apple Watch based shot timer.  (I'm not buying an Apple)
<snip>

Yeah, after this Apple from work gives out, which will be soon, I'm going to opt out of the wonderful world of Apple that sells my data.

I have been listening to Rob Braxman lately: https://rumble.com/v4xufl0-using-phones-without-sim-cards-check-out-the-privacy-benefits..html
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:39:25 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 03:21:48 AM »
I didn't watch that video yet, but I bet his reasons are similar to Naomi Brockwell's. I was planning on pairing my Android phone with my car until I saw another one of her videos. The phone gathers all sorts of data from your car, and your car collects data from your phone, so 2 companies have piles of data on you they wouldn't otherwise have, and they sell it to whoever they want to. You can watch her videos without going to YouTube, at NBTV.

https://www.nbtv.media/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyirQOCUUK8
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 06:31:21 AM »
And they sell it to insurance companies. 

I dumped the radio in my truck and replaced it with a new Kenwood unit.  So..I wonder if Kenwood collects and sells that data.  Probably less likely than the original Ford unit.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2024, 11:01:17 AM »
I used to have a Kenwood stereo in my Dodge van a long time ago, until someone else decided they wanted it. They probably sold it to buy crack or something like that. It happened when I lived in a trailer park and they got a lot of car stereos one after the other one night, or a few nights in a row.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk