Author Topic: Latest new gun  (Read 85 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 492
Latest new gun
« on: August 27, 2024, 11:37:23 AM »
Been chasing my dream gun, a 325 Thunder Ranch, for so long I've given up.
What pushed me away was after the IDPA Nats, Miss Kitty asked if I had a backup gun.  I guess a ranted on about how well my gun, ammo and equipment worked she though karma might catch up with me for the next match.

I started looking for 4" 686.  I was thinking not the Performance Center but a regular full underlug.  Then I could get a small rail installed for a possible WML.  Too may 7 shot Plus models out there.  But I stumbled upon a 3" at the Ft Worth Cabelas/Bass Pro.  Hmm.  Probably can't get the rail under there, BUT, it would be an excellent backup gun and it would also qualify as a "snubby" class in ICORE.  Plus, who knows, I might actually carry it.  With fancy grips and holster it could be my BBQ qun.  New 4" are going for $939.  This one was $749.

It was too, easy.  Called Ft Worth and talked to the Gun Library person.  Took my particulars (I have a Cabela's card so I even got points applied) and they're shipping it to the Acworth GA store.  I should pick it up Thusday.  Wow.  Of course there's a $45 shipping fee and probably the same FFL fee at Cabela's here.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1191
Re: Latest new gun
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 04:17:45 PM »
Nice, but I would think there wasn't an FFL fee since you're getting it at Cabela's after ordering from Cabela's. Let us know how much the fee is when you pick it up. There's at least one place around here that's not trying to get rich off transfer fees. They only charge $15. I think it was $25 at Williams when I checked last year, but $15-$20 seems to be the norm for the state. Unless you buy it at a BIG business.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 02:47:59 PM »
Went and picked up the 3" 686.  Correct there's no extra FFL since it's all internal to BassPro/Cabelas.  But to my surprise there was also no shipping.  What I had thought was shipping was Sales Tax.  They're certainly a good place to deal with.  A little slow on the paper work, but okay.  They corrected the sales tax that Ft Worth had assessed and saved me $3.  THEN they applied a 5% veterans discount which basically covered the sales tax.  Plus I got points.  Wow. 

Okay the gun came with FO sights so that's a purchase I don't have to make.  Unfortunately I didn't read it right and it was a 7 shot, so I will have to get a cylinder swap at some point.  I did an exchange with my 4" 686 and it times up perfectly, so can use it right away.  Got the SW/Hogue rubber grip I like.  Not much else to do except go shoot it in ICORE weekend after next.  Pictures eventually.
Will work for ammo

Wladas

• The Safe Keeper
  • Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 07:32:16 AM »
Congrats on the new 3" 686! Sounds like you got a great deal, especially with the veterans discount and points. It's awesome that it came with FO sights and that you can use it right away. Looking forward to seeing those pictures and hearing how it performs
Favorite Shop - The Safe Keeper - Home & Gun Safes with Nationwide Shipping

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 08:11:58 PM »
Sounds good, Alf. I didn't know Cabela's gave a veteran's discount. Or points. I need to look into that. There's a Bass Pro Shop a 35 minute drive from me in Auburn Hills. SEA LIFE Michigan Aquarium is in the same building and so is LEGOLAND Discovery Center Michigan, and a bunch of other stuff at Great Lakes Crossing. I could go and make a day of it. Cabela's in Dundee is double that at 70 minutes. But they have the world's largest bronze wildlife sculpture at Cabela's and I haven't been there in years.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:47:06 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2024, 10:20:42 AM »
Got a 6 round cylinder off Ebay.  Checked out the vendor carefully and got verification his cylinder was for a 686-6.  (I don't know how many different configurations of cylinders there are given the 8  [edit] 9 engineering variations.  Might only be 2 or 3 different variations of cylinder though).  This one came complete with the crane, so a true drop in.  $79 incl tax and shipping.

Anyway. Fit perfectly and put 150 rounds through that cylinder plus I had already put 150 rounds through the 7 round one.  Gun shoots very well, and is fun to shoot especially with the 110pf ammo for IDPA.

I think I'll keep the 7 shot cylinder for possible future use. 
Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2024, 11:33:02 AM »
Sounds like a deal to me.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2024, 12:31:51 PM »
Cabelas has another one but wood grips, stock sights for $599.
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk