Author Topic: do not buy one of THOSE guns  (Read 11835 times)

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: do not buy one of THOSE guns
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
I didn't mean to imply the poster was the writer. wtr's previous posts don't paint him as a troll. Rather, I thought he found and clipped this from somewhere. Plenty of inane comments floating around.  I was going to counter his find with "The Ten Manliest Guns", but I think it was posted prior.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

mosbear

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »
M14/M1A: Clunky, heavy, and overpowered. Essentially a Garand tarted up with a removable magazine, in a half-baked attempt to adapt a 19th century rifle design philosophy to the mid-20th century. Most often named as favorite infantry rifle by people who never had to hump a 10-pound wood-stocked rifle with lots of sharp protrusions and no collapsible anything on a three day exercise, or try to make it through a firefight with the standard battle load of five 20-round magazines.

AK-47: Crude and inaccurate bullet thrower designed by and for illiterate peasants. Chambered in a caliber that manages to cut the ballistics of a proper .30-caliber battle rifle in half without passing on any weight savings to the grunt. Ergonomics only suitable for Russian midgets. Archaic cable trigger spring, crummy sights, no sight radius to speak of, no bolt hold-open device, and a clumsy safety. Favorite infantry rifle of Middle Eastern goat herders, guys named Abdullah, and backwoods militia types who like the fact that it shoots cheap ammo and has ballistics like their familiar .30-30.
......................................................................................

FN FAL: Long and lightweight receiver that’s impossible to scope properly. Overpowered round, twenty-round magazines that run dry in a blink, and an overall weapon length that’s only suitable for Napoleonic line infantry, but utterly useless for airborne and armored infantry. Made by Belgians, a nation with a military history that is limited to waving German divisions through at the border. Favored by Falklands veterans, Commonwealth fanboys, and people who think that dial-a-recoil gas systems are the epitome of infantry technology.

Wrong thread, mister! You should've posted to the Classic Joke thread ;)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 05:34:23 PM »
Come on guys. It's sarcasm. How could it possibly be anything else?

M-16/AR-15: Generally favored by range commandos, tactical disciples, military vets who have never fired anything else for comparison. As a vet who only shot M16s in the army I have to agree with that part.

I'm not going to win any popularity contests with my next remark. The M14 was obsolete before it got off the drawing board. Not my personal opinion, but that of a lot military leaders, gun designers, and one of my firearms repair instructors. Most say that it was a refined version of the M1 and nothing more.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »
hehehe

SMLE/Enfield: Refinement of a 19th century blackpowder design. Weapon of choice for militaries who either couldn’t afford Mausers, or had ideological hangups about Kraut rifles. Rimlock-prone cartridge that only barely classifies as a battle rifle round because of blackpowder derivation and insufficient lock strength of the platform. Favored by Canadians with WWII nostalgia, and people who think that semi-auto rifles are a passing fad.

or for those that can not get  semi-auto rifles

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 06:03:23 PM »

I'm in a bad mood, that's why. Just found out this morning my school district is the only one in the area w/o a rifle team. Dropped in 1998.  Also found out the new road (Fire House Rd) was supposed to be named Reagan Way.  Both courtesy of feckin' feckless libs who ground them out through threats of lawsuits.  AND we now have security guards in our local McDonalds because of 'undesirable youth activity.'

I've just stepped up my spare ammo by one mag.

Rant off
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:18:58 PM »

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »
I must apologize to WTR as far as bad trolling, we do throw out off the wall comments at work to see if we can reel in someone into a story just to see how far it can go.   ;D ;D
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
You almost sounded like Larry Vickers for a minute. LOL

Its a joke.
Did we win???

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »

M-16/AR-15: Generally favored by range commandos, tactical disciples, military vets who have never fired anything else for comparison. As a vet who only shot M16s in the army I have to agree with that part.

I'm not going to win any popularity contests with my next remark. The M14 was obsolete before it got off the drawing board. Not my personal opinion, but that of a lot military leaders, gun designers, and one of my firearms repair instructors. Most say that it was a refined version of the M1 and nothing more.

I understand what you are saying about the M - 14, It was the last "battle rifle" when technology and tactics were changing to embrace the select fire "assault rifle" / "Sturm gewehr" philosophy, It came along one war to late to displace the Garand as the ultimate "Battle Rifle". Still a hell of a rifle though.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 06:06:57 AM »

That would be the same M1 that Patton described as the best battle implement ever invented?

Yes, the M-14 is a refined M1 Garand, but if it were obsolete, why WTSHTF in various endeavors after Grenada do our people continue to flock to the M-14 for its stopping power and it's long range capabilities - far longer than the AKs and ARs. It's not plastic and aluminum, and it certainly may not the best for urban warfare for its length. But it is still an excellent weapon, and hardly obsolete.

Besides, when we dumbed down the military, moving to a spray and pray weaponry (what was the shot-kill ration in Nam - 2 million shots for 1 kill?) - easier than making them riflemen - I hardly think that obsoletes previous generations of weapons, just makes them different.

It is heavy though . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 11:32:59 AM »
That would be the same M1 that Patton described as the best battle implement ever invented?

Yes, the M-14 is a refined M1 Garand, but if it were obsolete, why WTSHTF in various endeavors after Grenada do our people continue to flock to the M-14 for its stopping power and it's long range capabilities - far longer than the AKs and ARs. It's not plastic and aluminum, and it certainly may not the best for urban warfare for its length. But it is still an excellent weapon, and hardly obsolete.

Besides, when we dumbed down the military, moving to a spray and pray weaponry (what was the shot-kill ration in Nam - 2 million shots for 1 kill?) - easier than making them riflemen - I hardly think that obsoletes previous generations of weapons, just makes them different.

It is heavy though . . .

It's not necessarily "dumbing down" the military,. It was about a fundamental change in the philosophy of small arms usage. Prior to WWII the Germans and Russians started the trend, with the aim of increasing the fire power of small units they began issuing large numbers of sub machine guns to infantry units, this left them with the problem of supplying multiple calibers Rifle ammo for reach and pistol ammo for volume, the Germans followed by the Russians tried to eliminate the supply problem by combining the rifle and SMG functions and capabilities in one weapon, granted, it was not necessarily the "Best" of both worlds, but in most of the world the current crop of Sturm Gewehr / assault rifles are sufficient for what they are used for. The problems with long range engagement are really a fairly special purpose situation. Most of our combat situations since WWII have been in much shorter range environments, designated marksmen and snipers are the only troops to regularly engage targets at long range.
The M 14 is the ultimate iteration of the Battle rifle (while the box magazine deprives it of the classic lines of the M1)
Unfortunately the day of the Battle rifle has passed into history as it no longer fits into military doctrine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk