Author Topic: Body Armor for the home  (Read 23485 times)

1776 Rebel

Body Armor for the home
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
The other night I was watching a Fox reporter doing his thing from the Gaza Strip. I also tuned into the show Tactical Impact. Bingo ! Everyone is wearing body armor. With the recent focus here on TBD, home invasions etc. Wouldn't a resistant vest be a nice thing to have in that 'go to' room? I have seen dealers at gunshows selling them. Also you can get them online for around 500 bucks. About the cost of a handgun. Has anyone taken that route? If so what were your thoughts that got you there? And how did you select the vest?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Body Armor for the home
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
no time to put it on.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

1776 Rebel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »
What if your wife or kids are in the room with you? Can't they be putting it on while you take care of business?

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »
What if your wife or kids in the room with you? Can't they be putting it on while you take care of business?

Vests need to be properly sized.  Mine would offer little protection for my smaller wife much less kids. It just would not cover the spots.
Maybe the wife could hold the vest like a blanket in front of her.

I have three for work, one undershirt style, one patrol over the shirt and one plate carrier.
They all use the same soft armor, the plate carrier having spots for front and rear hard plates. I could get into the plate carrier pretty quickly, but I tend to agree with TAB.

Many vests you see overseas are for fragments not projectiles. They are worthless for home defense.
None of my vests will stop a knife. Thats another kind of vest all together

cookie62

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »
Also in some states and municipalities body armor is legal for civilians :(
A bird in the hand is worth..Well, about a box of shells!
Yes, I'm bitter and cling to guns and religion..

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:02:01 PM »

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:54 PM »
I remember seeing a vest somewhere that looked very much like the old American League umpires chest protector. It was designed for the home and to be thrown on quickly. You just slipped it on over your neck and arms. Anyone else remember seeing one like this?
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:47:50 PM »
no time to put it on.
Maybe, if we ever get to the point of TEOTWAWKI, we'll all be walking around in them as business as usual. …or hiding in holes/bunkers with them.

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
I have one and use it when I'm reloading. Never thought of using it for home defense ::)
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
I have one and use it when I'm reloading. Never thought of using it for home defense ::)
Have you ever had any rounds go off while reloading?

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »
While standard body armor may not be the best way to go, some type of protective equipment stored in the safe room is good food for thought, we keep life jackets on boats right. Just the designation and a reinforced door do not make a "safe room"Every situation whether boating or working, even Bicycling has some type of safety equipment.
Due to legal, size, and convenience considerations, "vests" per se may not work, but lets examine the possibilities for maximizing the protection offered by your "home sanctuary".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk