Author Topic: NY Gov's Senator pick a pleasant surprise!  (Read 5093 times)

1776 Rebel

Re: NY Gov's Senator pick a pleasant surprise!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 05:55:50 AM »
Like someone mentioned earlier about the NRA, I did not see anything about it on their website earlier today. It makes me wonder if the NRA has made some kind of deal with the Dems.....

Fullauto don't misconstrue my earlier comment. Situations like this are the responsibility of the STATE organization. I was blasting the NY state organization. They are the ones that should be doing the grassroots work. The NRA's main focus should be the national scene and Fed policy.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:47:49 AM »
Fullauto don't misconstrue my earlier comment. Situations like this are the responsibility of the STATE organization. I was blasting the NY state organization. They are the ones that should be doing the grassroots work. The NRA's main focus should be the national scene and Fed policy.

I was talking about the national organization, and a U.S. Senate seat is about as "national" as it gets.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:01:39 AM »
I was talking about the national organization, and a U.S. Senate seat is about as "national" as it gets.

Funny, isn't it? The Founders intended for senators to be picked by the state legislature to watch out for that state's interests. But that pooch was screwed by the 17th amendment, and now we get stuck with Senators watching out for their parties national interests.  Maybe their terms need to be shortened to 4 years, running between presidential elections to avoid 'coattails' and nitwit voters.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

walangkatapat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:04 PM »
Kirsten Gillibrand is backed by the NRA:

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=12036

The NRA also backed my former SINator Gordon Smith with an A- rating even though Smith voted for the renewal of the AWB in 2004.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »
The NRA also backed my former SINator Gordon Smith with an A- rating even though Smith voted for the renewal of the AWB in 2004.

Here's some more info on Gillibrand:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090124/NEWS15/901240342/1285/Gillibrand+appointed+to+Senate+vacancy

According to the article, she voted against a PIF ban, which is good. She states that she supports women's rights (I suppose that includes abortion) and same sex marriage. Now its starting to make more sense. The two things that are sacrosanct to liberal/progressives are death and sex; the one exception to that is capital punishment. If she is willing to keep Roe vs. Wade and vote for gay marriage, they can stomach her views on guns....for now.....

About Gordon Smith:
I wonder if the A- rating was before or after the vote. If the rating was after the vote, that is outrageous! Anyone who votes to ban a category of weapons should get an "F".

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:24:19 PM »

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »
I knew something was up about her when I found out that Schumer had pushed Paterson hard for her appointment. We'll see what her true colors are once she's in there.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
Gay marriage doesn't concern me, Gun rights DO.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 08:36:54 PM »
as a NY'er (against my will :)  ) If the NYSR&PA or the NRA had come out with a big show of support she wouldn't have gotten the nomination from paterson, by keeping it low key they got us an ally in the senate. That's just my own opinion.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

walangkatapat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
Here's some more info on Gillibrand:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090124/NEWS15/901240342/1285/Gillibrand+appointed+to+Senate+vacancy

According to the article, she voted against a PIF ban, which is good. She states that she supports women's rights (I suppose that includes abortion) and same sex marriage. Now its starting to make more sense. The two things that are sacrosanct to liberal/progressives are death and sex; the one exception to that is capital punishment. If she is willing to keep Roe vs. Wade and vote for gay marriage, they can stomach her views on guns....for now.....

About Gordon Smith:
I wonder if the A- rating was before or after the vote. If the rating was after the vote, that is outrageous! Anyone who votes to ban a category of weapons should get an "F".

I received an orange card from the NRA before the 2008 elections stating Smith has an A- rating. The New York pick for SINator may or may not be a good one for gun owners and only time will tell.

Here's a quote from her:
At the news conference, Gillibrand commended McCarthy for her "outstanding leadership in fighting against gun violence and keeping our children safe," and added: "I pledge to work with her on her signature bill for updating background checks to keep guns out of the hands of criminals." Gillibrand said she would support gun control "but also protect our hunters' rights."

Little-known congresswoman picked for Clinton seat

Any time I hear a supposed pro gunner talk about hunters rights it raises a red flag, same can be said about keeping guns out of the criminals hands since we all know gun control doesn't accomplish that.

BigSaucy

• Active Forum Member
    • YouTube
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »
as a NY'er (against my will :)  ) If the NYSR&PA or the NRA had come out with a big show of support she wouldn't have gotten the nomination from paterson, by keeping it low key they got us an ally in the senate. That's just my own opinion.

I agree Majer, any public support from the NRA or NYSRPA would have killed her chances. She's not perfect but the best by far we could have hoped for. The other benefit is we probably pick up a pro 2A'er for the 20th congressional district in the speciial election as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk