Author Topic: H.R. 45 Blair/ Holt The attack is on!  (Read 8982 times)

stavee

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H.R. 45 Blair/ Holt The attack is on!
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »
Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009
To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.
current 111st session of congress
Other Bill Titles (2 more)
Hide Other Bill Titles
Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.
Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.
1/6/2009--Introduced.
Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.
Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.
Prohibits:
(1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions;
(2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act;
(3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours;
(4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or
(5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.
Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.
Directs the Attorney General to:
(1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse;
(2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and
(3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.
Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

stavee

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: H.R. 45 Blair/ Holt The attack is on!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
Can someone formulate a Best Defence to HR 45?

nupe

• Very Active Forum Member
  • 4/19/1775
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is suppose to be used for the purchase/transfer of handguns and semiautomatic rifles with removable mags.  Plus it would be a photo id and you finger prints need to be taken.  I wonder how many hundreds of dollars they would charge someone to obtain it and how long it would be good for.

stavee

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:
I believe you are correct!?! Except I read it to include all hand  guns.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
I received this:

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
WorldNetDaily Exclusive
Big Brother's new target: Tracking of all firearms
'Nothing less than a declaration of war on American gun owners'
Posted: January 13, 2009
10:08 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn
WorldNetDaily

Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill.

U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., is hoping to pass a firearm-licensing bill that will significantly rewrite gun-ownership laws in America.

Among the more controversial provisions of the bill are requirements that all handgun owners submit to the federal government a photo, thumb print and mental heath records. Further, the bill would order the attorney general to establish a database of every handgun sale, transfer and owner's address in America.

The bill claims its purpose is "to protect the public against the unreasonable risk of injury and death associated with the unrecorded sale or transfer of firearms to criminals and youth."

Get "Shooting Back," the incredible DVD that shows once and for all why you should be packing heat for the protection of yourself and your loved ones, only from WND!

Columnist David Codrea of Guns Magazine, however, calls it a "ridiculous affront to liberty."

"This is nothing less than a declaration of war on American gun owners," Codrea writes on Gun Rights Examiner.

Rush's proposed bill, H.R. 45, is alternatively known as "Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009," named after an Illinois teenager killed by a gunshot.

According the bill's text, "On the afternoon of May 10, 2007, Blair Holt, a junior at Julian High School in Chicago, was killed on a public bus riding home from school when he used his body to shield a girl who was in the line of fire after a young man boarded the bus and started shooting."

The bill then argues that interstate firearm trafficking and children dying from gun violence create legitimate cause for the federal government to monitor gun ownership and transfers in new ways.

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to own or possess a "qualifying firearm" – defined as any handgun or any semiautomatic firearm that takes an ammunition clip – without a "Blair Holt" license.

To obtain a "Blair Holt" license, an application must be made that includes a photo, address, all previous aliases, thumb print, completion of a written firearm safety test, release of mental health records to the attorney general and a fee not to exceed $25.

Further, the bill makes it illegal to transfer ownership of a qualifying firearm to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector. Exceptions to this rule include transfer to family members by gift or bequest and loans, not to exceed 30 days, of a firearm for lawful purposes "between persons who are personally known to each other."

The bill also requires qualifying firearm owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database. It would also be illegal for a licensed gun owner to fail to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours or fail to report a change of address within 60 days.

And if a minor obtains a weapon and injures someone with it, the owner of the gun – if deemed to have failed to meet certain safety requirements – faces a multiple-year jail sentence.

H.R. 45 is a resurfacing of 2007's H.R. 2666, which contained much of the same language and was co-sponsored by 15 other representatives and Barack Obama's current chief of staff, Rahm Emmanuel. H.R. 2666 was assigned to the House Judiciary committee, where no action was taken.

H.R. 45 currently has no co-sponsors and is likewise assigned to the House Judiciary committee.

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:24:56 AM »

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
As someone asked in a previous thread, does my wife automatically become a felon if I die and she inherits my estate (including my guns)?
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
I certainly hope that the people who are reading this are NRA members instead of free men and women who have fish hooks in their pockets......

We cannot let someone else do this....we must support our 2nd Ammendment Sheepdog.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:37 AM »
I certainly hope that the people who are reading this are NRA members instead of free men and women who have fish hooks in their pockets......

We cannot let someone else do this....we must support our 2nd Ammendment Sheepdog.

Rastus, WE ARE THE SHEEPDOG. We must bury our legislators with e mails, letters and calls telling them to oppose this. If that fails we must replace them. If this farce goes into effect we must defy it or quit calling ourselves Americans.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 06:45:49 AM »
  Rastus, WE ARE THE SHEEPDOG. We must bury our legislators with e mails, letters and calls telling them to oppose this. If that fails we must replace them. If this farce goes into effect we must defy it or quit calling ourselves Americans.

Hear, hear.  I am afraid we will have to help lead our brethren to the light one step at a time....and that may take too much time. 

Won't be too long, in my perception, before America ceases to be America and becomes Amerika.  If one tends to disagree, please see results of the last election, the nose rings and tats and black hair on our aimless youth, crime stats, illegal influx, government's disregard for law that does not suit government, etc.   
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
E mail sent to my Rep. The lousy dem Shea Porter.

Please oppose the ridiculous "Blair / Holt legislation.
This is nothing more than a thinly disguised opening salvo in an attack on the entire bill of rights.
Thank you.
Thomas C. Bogan
Laconia NH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk