Author Topic: Tactical Knives  (Read 69708 times)

Hottrockin

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Be wise, use every advantage!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tactical Knives
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:33:56 AM »
Legal to carry in the jurisdictions where you travel

It seems so much boils down to interpretation of definitions.  In Missouri the law states;

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

Then you look up the definition in the law of the term “Knife” and it reads;

(12) "Knife", any dagger, dirk, stiletto, or bladed hand instrument that is readily capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person. For purposes of this chapter, "knife" does not include any ordinary pocketknife with no blade more than four inches in length;

I carry a SOG Trident Folder. 

Blade is 3 ¾” so I’m good there, but, is it “ordinary”?  So it all hinges on one word and someone’s interpretation of the word “ordinary”?  To me, years ago I thought of ordinary as my Dad or Grandpa’s “pocket knife”; Old Timer, Uncle Henry, etc.  Now days it seems more and more people carry “tactical folders” so now, to me that would be ordinary.  Also, is it “concealed”…on mine you can see the clip and a little of the butt sticking out.  If anyone asks, who is authorized to ask, what I’m carrying I tell them a pocket knife (not a tactical folder) and then would comply with their orders.
NRA Member

Pepper

• -Follower of the first church of Colonel Jeff Cooper-
  • Forum Member
    • Pannon Scout
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »
I used to carry a CRKT M21 and a Buck Strider Tarani as an EDC knife for the last 4 years. Really well made blades, but then a friend of mine gave me a Spyderco USA Native Knife. What an awesome blade!!!

Length overall 7" (178 mm) blade length 3 1/8" (80 mm) blade steel CPM-S30V length closed 3 15/16" (100 mm) cutting edge 2 5/8" (67 mm) weight 2.65 oz (75.2 g) hole diameter 15/32" (12 mm) blade thickness 1/8" (3 mm) handle material FRN.

It's stuck inside the waistband of my pants for the last 12 months and I really don't wanna miss it.

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »

It's stuck inside the waistband of my pants for the last 12 months and I really don't wanna miss it.

OOPS !

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »
I used to carry a CRKT M21 and a Buck Strider Tarani as an EDC knife for the last 4 years. Really well made blades, but then a friend of mine gave me a Spyderco USA Native Knife. What an awesome blade!!!

Urkel - Did I do that?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »
I have to confess, I don't know a lot about knives.  I've had perfect opportunities to learn more seeing as the local gun shows are put on by GUN and KNIFE associations, but all I can see is the GUNS when I get there.

That said, if I truly am in search of self defense weapons then a very concealable knife should be one my items of choice.

Where should I turn to learn more about this??

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:18:17 AM »

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »
Oob made the comment some time ago that the best knife is the one you work with and one should choose accordingly. I avoid the liner locks and prefer the small fixed blade with kydex sheath. I convert it to iwb but I'll tell you the best tactical tool is a nice pair of sneakers. if you've ever seen deep tissue damage you'll work to avoid the blade.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
...I'll tell you the best tactical tool is a nice pair of sneakers. if you've ever seen deep tissue damage you'll work to avoid the blade.

I would have assumed steel-toed work shoes would be more tactical than sneakers.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »
I would have assumed steel-toed work shoes would be more tactical than sneakers.

They great in a fight but their no good for running, distance is your best defense from a knife.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »
A Spyderco Yojimbo folder and a Ronon fixed-blade in an neck holster, both designed by Mr. Janich.

Remember, guns are just guns, but knives are important!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
A Spyderco Yojimbo folder and a Ronon fixed-blade in an neck holster, both designed by Mr. Janich.

Remember, guns are just guns, but knives are important!

Michael B

how dose a Neck Holster work

I have never heard of that   I just have mine on a pocket
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk