Author Topic: Tactical Knives  (Read 69682 times)

cracker1952

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tactical Knives
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »

Has anyone have any thoughts on the "Wilson Cop Tool"?
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

cjwise5

• Forum Member
  • www.code4-tactical.com
    • Code 4 Tactical Supply
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »
Emerson knives.  The one with the pocket "hook".  hook grabs on your pocket when you draw the knife and it opens without having to manipulate any levers or buttons.  fastest i have seen, and lets face it - pushing buttons and the like is a fine motor movement that will take extra time.  sorry if this was already said.  just found this thread and I didn't read them all.

mike g

• Forum Member
  • Invisible souls.........leave .308 holes
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »
I carry a folding S&W Swat on my hip with a serrated blade,and  bought my wife a S&W 24/7 folder because its small enough to fit in her purse and doesn't draw any attention to her carrying it!
Life is the leading cause of death,anything else is a contributing factor!

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
This is such a great topic!

I got a question for the experts. When does knife steel construcion enter the decision on purchase?

Is AUS8 a min and VG-10 the gold standard? Would you sacrifice blade quality for benificial features?

I know that heat treatment can play a bigger part in blade quality, however as a customer you cannot possibly know who heat treats their steel the best. For that matter, does it cost more to properly heat treat a blade or is it the raw material that drives cost?
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
This is such a great topic!

I got a question for the experts. When does knife steel construcion enter the decision on purchase?

Is AUS8 a min and VG-10 the gold standard? Would you sacrifice blade quality for benificial features?

I know that heat treatment can play a bigger part in blade quality, however as a customer you cannot possibly know who heat treats their steel the best. For that matter, does it cost more to properly heat treat a blade or is it the raw material that drives cost?

In my opinion, when it comes to personal defense knives, steel “quality” isn’t as significant as blade design, edge geometry, and corrosion resistance.

I view a personal defense knife as a dedicated tool and don’t use mine for daily chores. As Murphy would have it, I would have to defend myself immediately after dulling and gunking up my knife on some demanding chore. To avoid that, I use a different knife for utility purposes.

By keeping your defensive knife “pristine,” you know that it will be at peak performance if you need it. You also know that in the frantic few seconds that you might have to use it, your attacker will not be able to tell the difference between AUS8 and 154CM. Proper edge geometry and blade shape are much more important. Since your knife will be carried close o your body and carried constantly, corrosion resistance is also important.

From a utility perspective—especially if you do a lot of repetitive cutting of the same materials (i.e. cardboard)—you can quantify the performance of different steels, provided all other aspects of the blade design remain constant. Some people who test knives like to take this to extremes, cutting rope until the edge is dulled. If that’s your thing, enjoy. I don’t seem to have that much free time.

Steel choice is also more important for “survival” knives, since the knife may have to perform for an extended period of hard use before it can be sharpened. However, some users actually prefer less exotic steels for this purpose because they can be sharpened more easily using improvised means.

As with most knife-related things, personal preference and your own individual skill level play an important role in your choice. As long as your choice is well reasoned, reliable, and works consistently with your skill set, it works.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike

Sponsor

« Reply #115 on: Today at 06:29:17 AM »

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »
I think the more important questions which needs an expert's advice for are:

-What does the expert carry and why?
-Where does he carry/place on body and why?
-Why does he choose the brand of knives? Really.
-Why choose plain or serrated for Personal Defense?
-Why choose a lock back, liner or (my favorite) axis lock system?
-Why should I have a lanyard for a pocket clip knife?
-What profile should I choose for defensive usage?
-Should I choose a full grind or saber, and why?
-Should it be hollow ground and the benefits or negatives of this?
-Should there be multiple folders or mixture of folder and fixed on person?
-Should there be tip up or down for defensive usage? (I have always preferred up)
-Should we choose tactical or go under the radar?
-Should your hard-use knife be a utility razor?
-When does a neck knife have a place?
-What is the minimum and maximum blade length recommended for EDC of PD?
-What is opinion of assisted openers?
-What is opinion of factory vs. custom for EDC?
-What is opinion of DVD vs. Dojo training?
-What is opinion of edge vs. gun for ambush defense while a foot?

Now I know some of these questions have been answered to a degree at other posts but if anyone can think of a point of questioning I am overlooking I would appreciate the heads up.

Thank you,
tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
I have more question all ready.

-What is the proper carry for deployment of you EDC blade when carrying a gun strong side?

-Why do we not train deployment of closed knife during verbal deescalation drills?

-Why are reinforced strikes with the closed knife in hand not taught more in training?

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
Last one for this morning promise:

-How important is it to have metal liners for stabbing rigidity though clothing and bone strikes?

joediaz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2010, 02:05:17 AM »
I carry a Kershaw Ken onion assist open folder as my daily knife. It is blacked out completely with a partially serrated edge, it holds an edge better than any of my other knives by far. It is quick to open and comfortable in my hand and comforting in my pocket. I have CRKT knives, buck crosslocks, spydercos etc....but I really like the kershaws.

JdePietro

• M14 Patterned Protagonist
  • Top Forum Member
  • "Neither Spare nor Dispose"
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
I think the more important questions which needs an expert's advice for are:

-What does the expert carry and why?
-Where does he carry/place on body and why?
-Why does he choose the brand of knives? Really.
-Why choose plain or serrated for Personal Defense?
-Why choose a lock back, liner or (my favorite) axis lock system?
-Why should I have a lanyard for a pocket clip knife?
-What profile should I choose for defensive usage?
-Should I choose a full grind or saber, and why?
-Should it be hollow ground and the benefits or negatives of this?
-Should there be multiple folders or mixture of folder and fixed on person?
-Should there be tip up or down for defensive usage? (I have always preferred up)
-Should we choose tactical or go under the radar?
-Should your hard-use knife be a utility razor?
-When does a neck knife have a place?
-What is the minimum and maximum blade length recommended for EDC of PD?
-What is opinion of assisted openers?
-What is opinion of factory vs. custom for EDC?
-What is opinion of DVD vs. Dojo training?
-What is opinion of edge vs. gun for ambush defense while a foot?

Now I know some of these questions have been answered to a degree at other posts but if anyone can think of a point of questioning I am overlooking I would appreciate the heads up.

Thank you,
tex

I could be totally wrong, but from the tone of this thread I think what is at the very least a theme of answers are... Carry something, better yet carry two of something. Keep a purpose in mind for use, make training blend with other forms training, and lastly in all things considering style, make and model... Preference, preference, preference!
How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk