Author Topic: Tactical Knives  (Read 69687 times)

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tactical Knives
« on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:46 PM »
What are some of the thoughts of the different types of knives, fixed, folding, etc. for tactical purposes and what do you believe to be the best? I am sure Michael Janich will have some input. I had personally carried Gerber Mark 1 and 2 along with the Gerber Col. Applegate. Automatics I preferred were Benchmade and Smith and Wesson.
As for peace officers, do any of you feel that it would be more efficient to carry a fixed blade knife on your utility belt or carry a folder that clips into the pocket of your uniform pants?

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
Re: Tactical Knives
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
A bunch of my LEO buddies all carry the Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement model
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:32:32 PM »
I carry a Kershaw Blackout, Ken Onion design, black kydex, black blade, assisted opening, no serrations, clipped in my back pocket. Simple, not horribly expensive, takes and keeps an edge. It has not failed me yet.

Specs are:

Blackout: Dark as night, this SpeedSafe fast-opener is a covert must have. A gentle drop-point blade is coated with Titanium Nitride.

Steel - Quality 440A stainless-steel blades with 55-57 Rockwell hardness rating and ti-nitride coating
Handle - Polyamide
Blade - 3 1/4" (8.4 cm)
Closed - 4 1/2" (11.3 cm)
Weight - 3.5 oz

- Heat-treated 410 stainless-steel liners
- Removable pocket clip
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 01:36:17 PM »
I have come to hate the word "Tactical", any knife is "Tactical" if you use it to cut or stick somebody, "Tactical" is an adverb, not a noun.

Having worked in security for a lot of years and hung out and been friends with a lot of police I would say that a good folder is the way to go with a duty knife. Fixed blades tend to cause considerable bleating among the sheep, even when you are in uniform. While out here in rural Montana people tend to be much more familiar and comfortable with blades, the city-folk would be an issue. I prefer the Kershaw Storm for EDC (at least for when my Bali would tend to upset the masses or the local Gendarmes), it's big and sturdy enough for just about any job but inexpensive enough to lose or break without causing undue stress, and you WILL lose or break your EDC eventually. I remember getting a little baby out of a pick-up after her idiot mom locked her inside, I busted my Swiss army knife getting the beck window open, it sucked but it was what I had and it did the job. The Kershaw is going to be harder it bust and if I do I will only be out $30, likewise I've lost a half-dozen knives in the past 40+ years and a couple of them were moderately hi-dollar blades, feces does tend to occur.

"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »
I have come to hate the word "Tactical", any knife is "Tactical" if you use it to cut or stick somebody, "Tactical" is an adverb, not a noun.

Same here. It's mainly to sell products.

I lean towards Gerber knives. I have several but tend to stick (pun?) with one I got 15 years ago for about $30. It is a pocket clip model with half serrated blade. I think it is an E-Z Out or something like that. I don't even know if it is considered 'tacti-cool' or not, but it stays sharp and will cut hell out of whatever needs cutting. It has taken a heck of a lickin' over the years, including impact in a motorcycle wreck where the part of the handle with the rubber insert broke, but it don't stop it from working. It's always been there when I needed it and is the first thing that goes in my pocket every morning and is the last thing out at bedtime.

Good performance for the cost....IMHO.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:01:48 AM »

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:26:21 PM »
not all are Tactical,   this is my little collection so far though

From Left to Right
Damascus Folder Crocodile Bone handle
S&W Homeland Security Folder
Winchester Folder
Damascus Skinner  DMP Custom knife
Damascus Knife   with Engraved Camel Bone
Kizlyar  Hunter knife
Winchester Knife

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
The Damascus blades are sweet. I've got the same S&W folding knife  ;D

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:50:16 PM »
What are some of the thoughts of the different types of knives, fixed, folding, etc. for tactical purposes and what do you believe to be the best? I am sure Michael Janich will have some input.

I have a lot of input on this topic, which is why I wrote an entire book on it: Street Steel. I'm not trying to hype the book; just explaining that the topic can get very deep very quickly.

To try to provide some useful input, here are some quick thoughts:

"Tactical" is a pretty meaningless term. Usually it means painting something black and doubling the price.
The basic requirements I consider important include:
  • Legal to carry in the jurisdictions where you travel
    Strong, quality construction
    Capable of cutting and puncturing
    Easily and conveniently carried
    Easily and quickly deployed
    Ideally, a design that has a dedicated matching training knife available

Since I travel a lot, I lean toward short (3-3.5-inch blade) folders with plain edges. If I have a design I really like and the blade is too long to be legal, I grind the blade down to a legal length and keep the longer handle.

This is a big topic. I'm happy to discuss specifics, but I really feel that there are so many variables, there is no definitive "best."

Stay safe,

Mike

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »

This is a Meyerco G-10 440 Bead Blasted Blade G10 Scales Easy One-Hand Opening Reversible Stainless Steel Clip 4'' Honed Blade. Designed by Blackie Collins. You dont need to spend alot on a good knife. You can buy these for under 20.00.  I wear it weak side front pocket.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »
I like folder I can open and close with one hand that have a clip for strong side front pocket carry.  As a lefty I love the Benchmade AXIS based knives (that's the lock).  Specifically, I love the 940 series, the Griptilians, and the new Barrages.  Even though I can carry up to 3.5" here in Colorado, I prefer the 3" knives as they fit my hand and pocket better.

I don't know if these are Tactical, but I'm comfortable with them and I use them every day.  I think that counts for something in an emergency.
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk