Author Topic: Federal Carry Permit Idea  (Read 8782 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Federal Carry Permit Idea
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
I know we have our permit written way back in the 18th Century.  However, our modern do gooders can't seem to comprehend.

How about Federal Legislation that would #1  Require all fifty States and the District of Columbia to implement  CCW; #2  All such legislation must be "Shall Issue;" and #3  All fifty States and the District of Columbia shall recognize all other permits.

Simple clean program that keeps the Feds out of the issuance, allows for individual States to address their own concerns, and puts in place a Nationwide CCW in a simple way.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Federal Carry Permit Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
Senator Family Values/Dc Madam client Vitter (R) La. brought this up. (I'm only slamming him because I'd rather have a better standard bearer). I think we've discussed this idea on another thread, and I'll say here what I said there. Its great in theory, BUT it centralizes ccw in the federal government rather than states. Probably a good thing if you are in NJ or California, not so good in Vermont or Indiana.It seems like you suggestion would require a degree of standarization that would make a lot of state laws more restrictive in terms of training, insurance etc. I don't think it would be prudent to revisit settled law in this political climate to give the antis a foot hold. For the next four years, I would concentrate on the state level, and not let Pelosi stick her nose in if we don't have too, because we know how passionately she opposes us.  Likewise I wouldn't force Obama's hand. He's never seemed to give a damn about about the 2A one way or another, other than to say "yada yada yada" to his left wing base. It would be unwise to force him to take a stand publically, because as I really don't think he cares about this issue, he'll do whatever is expedient. Let sleeping dogs lie is a classic for a reason.
fightingquaker13

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:19:27 PM »
bad idea... Unless every state has the exact same DQ standards and all felonys are the same nation wide.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:26:44 PM »
Fighting - I think my thought here is different from the previous, and your concern, in that it does not give the power to the Feds.  It leaves it up to the States except to require them to offer a shall issue permit.

TAB - I'm not sure what differences there are between the States right now on DQing someone.  My info is limited reading and mostly accepting other writers or "hear say."  However, what I understand is that many States don't allow others strictly because they have some issue with them, except Iowa that just plain old won't get along with anyone  >:(  Then there is the ever stupid one of "We'll accept that State's permit from a resident, but not from a non-resident."  WTF  ???  It is either good or it isn't, what difference does it matter if you live in Utah or Minnesota and you have a Utah permit  ???
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27:01 PM »
Senator Family Values/Dc Madam client Vitter (R) La. brought this up. (I'm only slamming him because I'd rather have a better standard bearer). I think we've discussed this idea on another thread, and I'll say here what I said there. Its great in theory, BUT it centralizes ccw in the federal government rather than states. Probably a good thing if you are in NJ or California, not so good in Vermont or Indiana.It seems like you suggestion would require a degree of standarization that would make a lot of state laws more restrictive in terms of training, insurance etc. I don't think it would be prudent to revisit settled law in this political climate to give the antis a foot hold. For the next four years, I would concentrate on the state level, and not let Pelosi stick her nose in if we don't have too, because we know how passionately she opposes us.  Likewise I wouldn't force Obama's hand. He's never seemed to give a damn about about the 2A one way or another, other than to say "yada yada yada" to his left wing base. It would be unwise to force him to take a stand publically, because as I really don't think he cares about this issue, he'll do whatever is expedient. Let sleeping dogs lie is a classic for a reason.
fightingquaker13

Compare pictures of the "DC Madame" and Monica Lewinsky, at least Vitter had good taste  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:39:22 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:58:13 AM »
Fighting - I think my thought here is different from the previous, and your concern, in that it does not give the power to the Feds.  It leaves it up to the States except to require them to offer a shall issue permit.

TAB - I'm not sure what differences there are between the States right now on DQing someone.  My info is limited reading and mostly accepting other writers or "hear say."  However, what I understand is that many States don't allow others strictly because they have some issue with them, except Iowa that just plain old won't get along with anyone  >:(  Then there is the ever stupid one of "We'll accept that State's permit from a resident, but not from a non-resident."  WTF  ???  It is either good or it isn't, what difference does it matter if you live in Utah or Minnesota and you have a Utah permit  ???

WY, just droped( then reinstated then droped again no one really knows what will happen at this point)  several states from the valid list as they allowed misdeamor drug offeneders to have CCW. In WY thats a DQ.  I dislike the out of state permit deal, using the example above at one point if you could live in WY, have an out of state Ut permit and carry in WY, but you would be DQed in WY.   Thats complete crap.   It goes against the whole concept of seperation of states.

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »
 It goes against the whole concept of seperation of states.
Is the separation of states effected by having to honor out of state driver's licenses? I'm sure that the cars are killing more people than guns.

It's unfortunate that our keepers don't see the Constitution the way that we do, because this really isn't a state's right thing, since it is spelled out pretty clearly in the Bill of Rights. Our individual rights come before the rights of the states. We can't stand for a patchwork quilt of gun laws, when the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

People who've kept their noses and records clean should be able to do whatever they want with their guns and convicts lose that right. Sounds pretty clear and simple to me.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:50:49 AM »
My point is, its very messed up, that you would be DQed in your home state, but another state will let you get the OK out of state so that you can carry in your home state. 

This would not be an issue with drivers lic, why is this an issue with CCW?  its complete crap.   I think its a good thing that UT will give you an out of state CCW, but it should ONLY be good in UT!!!!

D-Man

• Active Forum Member
    • 5 Arrows Tactical
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »
My point is, its very messed up, that you would be DQed in your home state, but another state will let you get the OK out of state so that you can carry in your home state. 

This would not be an issue with drivers lic, why is this an issue with CCW?  its complete crap.   I think its a good thing that UT will give you an out of state CCW, but it should ONLY be good in UT!!!!
I am not for a Federal Government permit at all.  As soon as they give it out, they take it away.  This goes to state's rights.  If individual states want to sign agreements amongst themselves, then so be it.  If other states agree, why not allow a UT permit to be valid in another state.  It is stupid to not allow states to conduct their business as they do have that right!
Darren

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor / NRA Personal Protection Inside the Home / NRA Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / NRA RSO

UT/FL/VA Certified CCW Instructor

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/

http://twitter.com/5ArrowsTactical

http://www.nevadabackcountrytours.com/

Semper Fidelis!

Blessed be the Lord my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle - Psalm 144:1

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
I am not for a Federal Government permit at all.  As soon as they give it out, they take it away.  This goes to state's rights.  If individual states want to sign agreements amongst themselves, then so be it.  If other states agree, why not allow a UT permit to be valid in another state.  It is stupid to not allow states to conduct their business as they do have that right!

With all due respect, D-Man, I think you're missing the point.  This is NOT about a federal government permit.  The states still issue the permits, but all the other states would honor them, just like driver's licenses today.

TAB, I'll assume that you're trying to play devil's advocate instead of just looking for a fight, but I fail to see the difference between driver's license reciprocity and CCW reciprosity, regardless of the outlandish conspiracy scenarios that you keep coming up with.
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk