Author Topic: Letter  (Read 2973 times)

tombogan03884

Letter
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »
The local paper today in Letters to the Editor contained another anti gun diatribe, the following is my reply:

Gun control has been proven ineffective ;

On Monday 03 - 16, you carried a poorly researched letter by Wayne Gregoire again spouting the discredited theory that hand guns should be banned .
   To read that letter one would think that violent crime did not exist prior to the invention of gun powder. Let’s look at history  for a bit, as Santayana says “those who refuse to learn from history are condemned to repeating it”.  The first murder of which we have a historical record comes from the Bible, whether you are a believer or not it is worth noting that the weapon used was a rock.
A second lesson from history, Rome, long before the age of gun powder the city of Rome was so over run with violent crime that it led to the invention of the “municipal Police force”. They were called “Vigile’s” and were drawn from the Praetorian Guard.
   Mr. Gregoire claims that ’gun deaths” in European counties and Australia “range from 60 to 350 per year”, his numbers are fictitious . According to the website WWW.gunfacts.info and conversations with acquaintances in England and Australia , since private firearms ownership has been curtailed the incedence of gun related crime has sky rocketed, in England in general and New South Wales in particular it has increased 300%. I will point out that these are Island nations where everything that enters “legally” can be inspected and controlled. We can’t seem to keep 5foot + illegal aliens from entering our country, how does this individual propose to keep out “illegal arms ? Did these people learn nothing from “Prohibition” and the expensive, miserably failing “war on drugs”? Bans do not work.
  Another example of Mr. Gregoire’s  lack of factual information is his ignoring the study done in Rochester NY which concluded that 85% of violent crimes are committed with knives, clubs or fists and feet.
   If Mr. Gregoire is so concerned with violent crime why doesn’t he contact his legislators seeking stiffer sentencing for violent offenders ? His specious arguments are the equivalent of blaming  tableware for obesity .
   In closing I have two other items to mention. The first is that the Second Amendment is the only Constitutionally guaranteed civil right that requires individual government approval . As a CCW holder I have been twice certified as a law abiding citizen by the FBI, can he say the same ? What assurances do we have that he is not just attempting to make a safe work environment for robbers, thieves and  Rapists ?
The second Item that I wish to mention is his insulting references to gun owners and hunters as “fanatics” , “Jethro” and “cowards”. Had he used this type of demeaning and insulting language toward  Blacks, Gays, or any other special interest group in America, he and this paper would be facing, at worst, criminal “hate crime” charges, at least civil law suits. If you think I’m kidding I’m sure Don Imus would be happy to set you straight. No other group in America is required to submit to such pejorative language and gun owners will no longer tolerate it either.
Thomas C. Bogan
Laconia NH

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1099
Re: Letter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
Go get 'em, Tom, well said.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Tom, once again a well thought out and reasoned response.......that I'm positive will be totally ignored by the Hoplophobe's.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »
+1
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Condition 1

• Forum Member
  • COCKED AND LOCKED, Is there any other way?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »
Nicely said and to the point. I know it's your right you speak of, but it's mine too. Thank you for talking for all of us.
Thank you Col. John Dean "Jeff" Cooper.
"You are outgunned only if you miss!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:16:49 PM »

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »
Once again Tom your right on the money!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
Patriot
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
Very well written, Tom.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
Sir, you constantly amaze  me with your well thought out responses.  Well done.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »
Thank you for that round house of a reply.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk