Author Topic: Cross-dominant quandary?!?!  (Read 4373 times)

tranefan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cross-dominant quandary?!?!
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »
I'm cross-dominant (right handed and left eyed) and have been shooting for 34 years (started when I was 12). No matter what I do I end up shooting slightly to my left. This has been the case whether it's with revolver or auto.

Below is the result of my third trip to the range with my new Kimber Pro Raptor II. I'm pretty sure I'm bringing the sights too far over in an attempt to "meet" my left eye. I realize it's a fairly decent group but it still frustrates me. Can I do something to "fix" things or should I just accept it.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1149
Re: Cross-dominant quandary?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
Drift the rear sight over to the right and you should be good.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
There is another thread on this subject...some good info has already been posted.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php/topic,5773.0.html
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »
Hold right ? If you have been aiming at the center and hitting left for 34 years that's consistent enough for me to recommend that you aim at the right edge instead and I bet you will be dead on with out messing with the sights which apparently work for you as it's consistent.
Would you rather shift your point of aim or drift the sights then a little more, then back because you went to far etc.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »
I will always go for adjusting the sights versus hold over, if you are truly using the sights as intended, then it will work for you. Remembering to hold left/right, up/down in a tense situation, will probably not work. I wish I could watch you shoot and offer more personal help.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:48:31 AM »

tranefan

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »
I forgot to mention that this was done at 7 yds. using a weaver stance and cranking them out at a fairly rapid pace while focusing on the front sight.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »
With groups like that rapid fire I personally wouldn't want to mess with mechanics. After all it muscle memory now. It really does seem easier to aim at the right nipple than between the two (either way, you win). That said, people do go out and retool their golf swings all the time (Just remember it took Tiger a year to get back on his game until he could master his new one). If it were me, I'd just shift right. However, if it bothers you and you can afford the Kimber (plus all those bullets ;)) I'd be asking people here to refer me to good coach in your area rather than just screwing around with something that doesn't look all that broken to me. If you're going to do it, do it right. Just my .02.
fightingquaker13

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 09:59:46 AM »
I'm also left eye dominant, right handed. I just found it easier to shoot left handed.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
I will always go for adjusting the sights versus hold over, if you are truly using the sights as intended, then it will work for you. Remembering to hold left/right, up/down in a tense situation, will probably not work. I wish I could watch you shoot and offer more personal help.

My preference is for adjusting ME as opposed to messing with "hardware" that is consistent.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 911
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »
Ok ... this may sound stupid ... Close your left eye!

I have nearly identical vision in both eyes, and with specs it is still nearly equal.  What does that mean?  When I shoot with both eyes open at some time along the way my eyes will fight for dominance.  The only thing I can do is squint down with the left or close it all together.  I have used opaque covers and tape over the left lens, but in a real world situation or in USPSA it is not an option.  So, I have just learned how to regulate the goofiness of the balance in my vision. 

God made us in His image, but not with all of His standard equipment.  Because of this we must learn to live with what we have until we are perfect!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk