Author Topic: Help seeker_two pick a .22....  (Read 11158 times)

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help seeker_two pick a .22....
« on: April 14, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »
I'm getting an itch to buy a new plinkin' gun....and, with ammo prices, a good .22lr SA revolver sounds like just the scratch....

I was almost decided on getting a Ruger Bearcat....

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=912&return=Y

...when I saw the newest NAA offering, The Earl....

http://www.northamericanarms.com/EARL.html

...and now I'm stuck.....do I stick with proven Ruger reliability (and weight) or go with the nifty, lighweight new kid on the block?.....

Any advice?.....

Thanks in advance....  ;D
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Help seeker_two pick a .22....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »
No to the Earl just for safety (no trigger guard).

Unless you have real small hands I would also say no to the Bearcat.

Get a Ruger Single Six.  They come in every 'flavor' you can think of, (stainless, blue, any barrel length, with 22 Mag Cylander, etc).  It will become a treasured heirloom to pass on.  It is also (IMO) the BEST gun to start a new shooter.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
Seeker
The bear cat is a fine gun. Not the most accurate ever made but hands down the prettiest. It reeks quailty, shoots well and lends a certain amount of class to you while you hold it. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, my mother gave me hers (which she never shot) when I went to grad school. A few months later (1993 or so) I traded it wth my gun store, even money, for a  state trooper"s Colt Python. Its a solid lttle revolver. That said I HATE.22 revolvers. That supersonic crack is awful in a revolver. My strong advice is to get a semi. Colt, Ruger,, Browning (particulally the very fine Challenger II, available on this board with a free oriental bamboo steamer, and if she doesn't stop trying to dig up the sprinklers, possibly an 18 month old Elhew pointer as well ). I don't know what it is, but just as some people don't like .357s because of that high pitched crack, I am right there with them on .22 revolvers. Fine guns, yes, I just don't like shooting them nearly as much as a semi.
FQ13

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »
NO to the Semi.

Both of your 'look ats' were wheel guns.  Plus the big factor of ease of use and durability.  Every 'non gunner' even 'antis' that I take to the range automatically go to one of my Single Sixes.  Simple to operate.  SAFE (will only fire after you cock it) feels good in the hand, is 'familiar' to evrey one.

I could go on.  IF you go and feel both the Bearcat (it is pretty) and the Single Six and you like the Bearcat better, I won't bitch. (but I will demand pictures either way ;) )  Still a Ruger, still a wheel gun, still a 'keeper'.

I like the switch out 22lr / 22mag on the Single Six and I don't know if that is an option on the Bearcat.

One more BIG point.

Semis (especially .22 cal) are picky about what ammo they will function with.

A wheel gun will shoot anything!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »
I'm with Haz on this, Get the Single Six. I have3 and will buy more as I come across them.  I prefer the older 3 screw models But the New Models are great too(and easier to find) Ruger did offer a convertible Bearcat but recalled them because of some problem. IF you can find one it will cost up to $1000 to purchase (Collectors want them)The Bearcat is a fine revolver but too small for my hands and could be harder to get good accuracy because of that.   
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:32:41 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
I  only have 2 (one three screw) but like Maj says, I will get more. ;)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
I will back Haz up here. I REALLY prefer a a .22 pistol to a .22 revolver, but that's just a personal thing. If you want a wheelgun, you would be hard pressed to beat a Ruger single six. I don't know what bearcats are going for these days, but I'll take "What is not cheap", for a thousand Alex. They are beautiful little guns, with that whole civil war vibe, but, if you don't have small hands, you'll probably get better performance out of a single six, just because of grip size. I also had a Harrington and Richardson nine shot, break barrel ,double action .22 revolver. It was a good gun, and probably cheaper than the Ruger. As I said I am very happy with my Colt Woodsman and my Browning Challenger, but you won't go wrong with a single six. (Just don't put fake plastic ivory grips on it ;D)
FQ13

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
{snip}Simple to operate.  SAFE (will only fire after you cock it).
{more snip}
A wheel gun will shoot anything!

{I'll bravely step into the water here}

One might argue that without a safety or a de-cocker SAs are even less safe than other types of actions.

Yes, a single action wheel gun will shoot anything, however hitting your target is another matter.    If you get a kick out of SA shooting by all means go for it, but you're replacing accuracy with nostalgia.

Alf

To me single action involves the letters T and C.  And for a wheel gun,  S and W.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »
Alf, With the transfer bar safety a .22 revolver is VERY safe.

"hitting your target is another matter"   What do you mean?  My Single Sixes are deadly accurate.  I'd put them up against any production semi.

saltydogbk

• Better to die on my feet than live on my knees
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm with the Cat.  My Single Six is "spot on" when it comes to shooting.  Spend the few dollars extra for adjustable sights.
You can never have too many guns, or too much ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk