Author Topic: Darn strawberry sellers...  (Read 16858 times)

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Darn strawberry sellers...
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »
OK, heres a scenario that happened to my wife at our home while I was at work. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

She's inside the house in the home office. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback is with her. She hears some rattling outside the front door and the dog alerts and starts growling. She goes to the front door to look out and see what's going on. She see's a Mexican male with a flat of strawberries in his hand facing the side door of the garage. She thinks he's trying to break into the garage and his using his flat of strawberries as a cover for an excuse to be in our yard. She opens the door and tells him to get lost and closes the door. He gets lost. She gives it some time and goes to check the garage door. She rattles the handle and it makes the same sound that alerted her and the dog.
So, a very nice cop came by today with some very good advice on how to harden the home and what to do to react to the situation should it occur again. He advises her to confront someone to let them know that we know they are there. Not sure I like that. I'd rather she call 911 and report it and not confront the guy, and take a safe position in the house until the guy is either gone or the cops arrive.
So, what do you think her best defense would be in this situation. Obviously what occured is a no shoot situation. She has Inferno spray, the shotgun in the bedroom, and her .357 mag if it escalates. Not to mention a protective 100lb male ridgeback.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
Re: Darn strawberry sellers...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
OK, heres a scenario that happened to my wife at our home while I was at work. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

She's inside the house in the home office. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback is with her. She hears some rattling outside the front door and the dog alerts and starts growling. She goes to the front door to look out and see what's going on. She see's a Mexican male with a flat of strawberries in his hand facing the side door of the garage. She thinks he's trying to break into the garage and his using his flat of strawberries as a cover for an excuse to be in our yard. She opens the door and tells him to get lost and closes the door. He gets lost. She gives it some time and goes to check the garage door. She rattles the handle and it makes the same sound that alerted her and the dog.
So, a very nice cop came by today with some very good advice on how to harden the home and what to do to react to the situation should it occur again. He advises her to confront someone to let them know that we know they are there. Not sure I like that. I'd rather she call 911 and report it and not confront the guy, and take a safe position in the house until the guy is either gone or the cops arrive.
So, what do you think her best defense would be in this situation. Obviously what occured is a no shoot situation. She has Inferno spray, the shotgun in the bedroom, and her .357 mag if it escalates. Not to mention a protective 100lb male ridgeback.

The big thing I see here is the 'open the door' part. Don't open the door if you don't know who it is. If you want to let them know that you know they are there, yell out really loudly that you don't take solicitations and that you are going to call the police.
Don't give an attacker the advantage by doing part of their job for them.
One possible future solution is an inexpensive intercom system along with a "No Solicitors" sign. You can communicate via the intercom and never have to open the door.

That's just my two pennies in the bottom of the barrel.

I'm really glad it turned out as a 'no harm-no foul' incident and that your wife is safe.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
Tfr,

It sounds like you have MOST of it covered.  Get an intercom like Peg says and tell the wife NVER open the door in those situations.  Use the intercom to alert 'intruder' that you are aware of them and do not desire whatever they are selling.  If they persist inform them (via intercom again) that you are calling 911.  (I never let the bad guys know I am armed until I fire)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
Those people selling strawberries might be pot heads looking for some extra cash for drugs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWr4NcRN2Uw

HAHAHA! BEND AND SCOOP!  ;D

Really though, the intercom idea is a great one. Hadn't thought about doing that. It would sure beat yelling through closed doors and windows. My wife is rather trusting of people even though she knows not to be. It's hard to overcome the ingrained ideas of neighborly kindness. Just can't do that anymore, so the idea of being able to inform someone to leave without raising your voice is a good one.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
I have the intercom.  Make sure the inside system is AWAY from the door.  Most people set it up right at the door so you are 'right there' if sh!t starts - NOT good.  Put the inside unit across the room  (and place a gun near it).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:30:00 AM »

True_Texan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
I have the intercom.  Make sure the inside system is AWAY from the door.  Most people set it up right at the door so you are 'right there' if sh!t starts - NOT good.  Put the inside unit across the room  (and place a gun near it).

I was thinking the same thing. It would be like standing at the door starring out the peephole while talking to whoever it is on the other side.

I think I may have to take the intercom idea a step further. Could easily place a small video display next to it so you could see who you were talking too without being in the line of fire should something go down. As cheap as video surveillance has gotten, it wouldn't be a large hit in the wallet either. Of course I am sure they make an all-in-one system already, one that isn't outrageously expensive. I need to stop typing and start searching.
"Before giving someone a piece of your mind, be sure you have enough to spare."

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
The have one also that starts recording video of the front stoop as soon as the door bell is pressed..... probably could set it up to start recording once intercom is activated also........

..... cant wait to hear from The Pincus and the other Pros on this topic as well.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »
If you were into that sort of thing you could cobble together something triggered by motion like they do with yard lights.
If you DO go with a video system be sure to put something in the shot that will give an indication of how tall the person is.
Did you ever notice in Convenience stores, the scale running up the door casing, it's for the security camera.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »
Here are some basic units, just to get an idea of what's out there. They have some cool stuff out now in the home security business.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=2_1_1_1_0_0_223
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »
Sweet. All good ideas. I have two arbors coming into the courtyard that I plan on installing gates in. What I'd like to do is install some kind of electronic eye that rings a bell in the house at these arbors. Then we can install the camera and intercom system as well so we can see and talk to someone.
It sucks being on a corner lot. Didn't think about it when I bought the place. Easy access from the front and the side street with a main street a half block over for an escape for the bad guy.
So, I'm replacing the old double front door with a new, heavier door. I'll be gating the arbors and doing the electronics as well. If they manage to get past that and don't heed the warnings then it's the dog, the inferno spray and the hardware if needed. Darn...this used to be a great neighborhood that we didn't have to think of these things. C'mon lottery!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk