Author Topic: Darn strawberry sellers...  (Read 16855 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Darn strawberry sellers...
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:02 AM »
An interestings scenario. I agree that opening the door was not the best move. However, I don't think the electronic fortress of doom is necessary either. If I don't want to answer the door, I just don't. If the guy starts jiggling locks, I'll have a glock in one hand, and my cell in the other. Step one call the cops if he persists. Step two, withdraw to a defensible position if he appears to gain access. I'm all in favor of good locks and an alarm. I particularly like the beeper that alerts if a door or window is opened to wake you up. I'm not sure that cameras and intercoms are required. If you know the guy is there, well, thats what the gun and phone are for, yes?
FQ13

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:01:47 AM »
Hell, just send the dog to the door, especially if it barks. Then call the dog, something innocuous that the dog won't understand, like "Fido - HOLD!" which communicates to the BG at the door (a) you're home, and (b) you have a really big dog. Best anti-burglar tool their is. Minorities especially don't like them. Then tell the BG to leave and you're calling the police - and then do it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »
An interestings scenario. I agree that opening the door was not the best move. However, I don't think the electronic fortress of doom is necessary either. If I don't want to answer the door, I just don't. If the guy starts jiggling locks, I'll have a glock in one hand, and my cell in the other. Step one call the cops if he persists. Step two, withdraw to a defensible position if he appears to gain access. I'm all in favor of good locks and an alarm. I particularly like the beeper that alerts if a door or window is opened to wake you up. I'm not sure that cameras and intercoms are required. If you know the guy is there, well, thats what the gun and phone are for, yes?
FQ13

Great post....... Can we get this guy into the Rangers already!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 09:07:12 AM »
Hell, just send the dog to the door, especially if it barks. Then call the dog, something innocuous that the dog won't understand, like "Fido - HOLD!" which communicates to the BG at the door (a) you're home, and (b) you have a really big dog. Best anti-burglar tool their is. Minorities especially don't like them. Then tell the BG to leave and you're calling the police - and then do it.

100# R. Ridgeback. One bad ass dog!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01:19 PM »
Sweet. All good ideas. I have two arbors coming into the courtyard that I plan on installing gates in. What I'd like to do is install some kind of electronic eye that rings a bell in the house at these arbors. Then we can install the camera and intercom system as well so we can see and talk to someone.
It sucks being on a corner lot. Didn't think about it when I bought the place. Easy access from the front and the side street with a main street a half block over for an escape for the bad guy.
So, I'm replacing the old double front door with a new, heavier door. I'll be gating the arbors and doing the electronics as well. If they manage to get past that and don't heed the warnings then it's the dog, the inferno spray and the hardware if needed. Darn...this used to be a great neighborhood that we didn't have to think of these things. C'mon lottery!

A friend has one of these with all four sensors at the corners of his property gates.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/chamberlain-wireless-perimeter-alarm.aspx?a=219390

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:22:46 AM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »
My house is all brick with steel doors, steel frame double pane windows, has a top notch secutity system with battery back-up and 3G cellular dial out and we have a 120 pound big bad mutt and a 68 pound boxer (the boxer already took on a BG who reached into my wife's car when she was paying for gas....BG ended up at my hospital emergency dept. later that day).

Despite all of this, I really like the idea of an intercom and a video system. I also appreciated the suggestion from Haz to set the intercom up away from the door and with a handgun nearby.

It may sound a little paranoid, with all of our protection and with both my wife and myself having CHLs and being trained and shooting regularly, but I really like the idea of my wife not having to open the door until she is sure that it is safe.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll be shopping for and intercom and for a video system.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
So far I've put in the gates to the courtyard and installed motion sensors. The new door should be here any day now. Put a No Solicters sign on the gate which the Jehovah's Witness promptly ignored...I guess they don't think what they do is soliciting.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
So far I've put in the gates to the courtyard and installed motion sensors. The new door should be here any day now. Put a No Solicters sign on the gate which the Jehovah's Witness promptly ignored...I guess they don't think what they do is soliciting.
Next time they show up, open the door with the shot gun visible resting against the wall. Maybe they will think about how closley they need to witness Jehovah and leave the rest of us alone. ;D
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
Next time they show up, open the door with the shot gun visible resting against the wall. Maybe they will think about how closley they need to witness Jehovah and leave the rest of us alone. ;D
FQ13

My Dad used to have a pond on his place in Maine 1 1/2 miles up a dirt road, before he moved to Idaho.  2 JW women showed up one day while he was swimming so he came out the pond bare ass, but pleasant as could be, "Hi, how can I help you ? " etc. They never came back  ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »
My Dad used to have a pond on his place in Maine 1 1/2 miles up a dirt road, before he moved to Idaho.  2 JW women showed up one day while he was swimming so he came out the pond bare ass, but pleasant as could be, "Hi, how can I help you ? " etc. They never came back  ;D

Worked graveyard shift for years.
Got woke up one afternoon and answered the door in my underwear with a 1911 in my hand and they never came knockin' again.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk