Author Topic: Darn strawberry sellers...  (Read 16851 times)

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Darn strawberry sellers...
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
Worked graveyard shift for years.
Got woke up one afternoon and answered the door in my underwear with a 1911 in my hand and they never came knockin' again.

I'm just guessin the gun isn't why they never came back. ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
I'm just guessin the gun isn't why they never came back. ;D

"Why Junkie, whatevah do you mean?"

;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
Someone jiggling the doorknob can only mean one thing - they're trying to get in. My mother had this happen in the 60's, while I was still in the crib. Our backyard fence was up against a high traffic street. Someone came over the wall and preceded to try and get the laundry room door open, which was wood with a curtained window. She could see his backlit silhouette through the curtain. My mother armed herself with the gun that she was familiar with, a bolt action .22. She yelled through the door that she was armed and demanded that this guy leave at once. He kept pulling at the door and ordered her to open up. She cycled the bolt, making as much noise as she possibly could. The guy did a "feet, don't fail me now" and vaulted the back wall in a single jump. Things could have been really bad, if she's opened the door.

We recently had someone jiggle our doorknob at 2:00 AM. I stuck a full paddle holster on my pj's, and grabbed the 12 GA. My wife was armed and manned the cell phone. I crept through the house and checked the doors, before turning on any lights, so as not to let someone outside see me before knowing that the doors were still secure. Then we called police, in case any neighbors might have the same occurrence. I didn't go outside - no reason to. Don't open the door.

sanjuancb

• Top Forum Member
  • The years teach much which the days never knew.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
100# R. Ridgeback. One bad ass dog!!

Agreed. Send the Ridgeback out the door and have him haggle over the price of the strawberries!
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Jackel

• life member of the American Honketonk bar association
  • Top Forum Member
  • F150 n' a 30-06
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
who buys strawberry's from a mexican on your doorstep anyway.

call me paranoid but i always point my trusty sig at the guy through the door whenever it is a stranger.
you are a redneck when You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.

You know your a redneck You ever got too drunk to fish.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 01:08:20 AM »

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
who buys strawberry's from a mexican on your doorstep anyway.

call me paranoid but i always point my trusty sig at the guy through the door whenever it is a stranger.

I once had a knock on the side door of the house, a door that nobody ever, ever used. I grabbed my .357 out of the couch cushions and held it to the back of the door when I answered. The first words out of the guys mouth were,"do you have a gun". I chuckled to myself and thought, "yeah, dumbass, and it's pointing right at you." He went on to explain that he hit a deer and it was still alive and stuck in the wheelwell of his car. He wanted someone to come shoot it.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »
I once had a knock on the side door of the house, a door that nobody ever, ever used. I grabbed my .357 out of the couch cushions and held it to the back of the door when I answered. The first words out of the guys mouth were,"do you have a gun". I chuckled to myself and thought, "yeah, dumbass, and it's pointing right at you." He went on to explain that he hit a deer and it was still alive and stuck in the wheelwell of his car. He wanted someone to come shoot it.
THAT is an odd one. What did you do? Just curious because I would be sympathetic to the guy (and the deer) yet its also a great ploy to get you out of the house and determine if you are armed. You don't go, you're a selfish jerk, you do, and you're a sucker. Sort of like voting D or R in Presidential elections. What call did you make?
FQ13

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 06:49:40 AM »
THAT is an odd one. What did you do? Just curious because I would be sympathetic to the guy (and the deer) yet its also a great ploy to get you out of the house and determine if you are armed. You don't go, you're a selfish jerk, you do, and you're a sucker. Sort of like voting D or R in Presidential elections. What call did you make?
FQ13

Not to mention that if there is a deer, some of the more aggressive G&F types will tap you for hunting out of season! Happened in SD a few years back.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »
FQ13

I could see the car and deer on the road. I told the guy I would be down to help. Stuffed the gun in my pants and nobody ever knew I had one. The deer died right after I got there. I didn't want to shoot it with traffic going by, people standing around, and the fact that it was stuck in the car. I've had mixed reports on how the game commision reacts to killing injured animals. If it was me with no witnesses, no question about what I would do.

I told the guy later that he needs a better way to introduce himself.  ::)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »
Here's one that happened at my place yesterday just about at dusk.

My wife was on the front porch in a rocking chair talking on the phone to her sister. A pickup pulled about halfway up our main driveway and stopped about a 100' from the house. A "scraggly-lookin' guy" (wife's description) gets out and asks if he can 'borrow some gas'. She told him we didn't have any (not a lie, as we just used the last of it to top off the ATV....not that we owed him an explanation).

After she tells him we didn't have any, he asks her if her husband is home (this is the part that got me). She said yes, let me get him. And, as she backs in through the front door, she calls out to me (I was down in the Den, but could see her at the door) the guy gets in the truck and backs out and leaves.

I asked her questions about his appearance and how he acted. She said he acted 'funny....nervous'.

I sat out on the porch for a while and could hear something going on down the road, but out of sight. I got to wondering why he needed gas if he was able to drive off in his truck. I got on our golf cart (very quiet engine) and rode out to the edge of the property so that I could see down the road. It was then that I saw a second vehicle about a 1/4 mile away that was 'apparently disabled' and they were messing around with it. Finally all of the people (3 or 4, couldn't tell from the distance and poor light conditions) got into the guy's truck and left, leaving the second truck sitting in a neighbors driveway.

Needless to say, my hopeless insomnia was not aided by the event, and not much sleeping was done (looking out at every sound).

I'll be even more wary than normal (even for me) for a good while, since home invasion is one of the top crimes in our region.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk