Poll

which one should i buy? keeping in mind i'm on a budget, but want a gun that works for ccw

ruger Lcp
s&W 638
taurus 651

Author Topic: small frame revolver poll  (Read 8145 times)

RK0281

• Forum Member
    • My Web page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
small frame revolver poll
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:38:59 AM »
which one should i buy? keeping in mind i'm on a budget, but want a gun that works for ccw

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: small frame revolver poll
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
I own the Taurus, with years of service, and as you said "I'm on a budget".
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:01:54 AM »
RK,
All of them will work for CCW, it is a matter of which is best for you. I suggest that you rent them (if possible) and shoot them to see which you prefer.

For overall value, the Taurus is probably your best bet. However, I do suggest that you get a steel gun if you plan to shoot .38 +P or larger. I know- someone will post that is steel is too heavy and that you should get a hand cannon that is light as a feather. Well, try shooting a stout self defense round in one of those super-light revolvers and that might change your mind. I had a lightweight S&W 442 and it was not very pleasant with .38 +P self defense rounds. So I went to a S&W 649 and I never looked back.

In the end, I recommend a steel snubby in either a S&W or a Taurus. Best of luck!

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:20:36 AM »
I say the Taurus simply because of the three choices it's .357 over .38 spl....I assume you meant the LCR not the LCP....

It won't be fun to shoot at 18 oz with full .357 loads but do as I do and practice with standard .38 spl and carry with 125 gr JHP.  At least with .357, you may only need to shoot the BG once.  Light frames and .357 loads can be painfull...but the energy difference out of a short barrel is pretty dramatic.

Fullauto is right though, find a range that rents and try them all.  Anything is better than a rock as they say..Good Luck.

p.s.  I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 on my hip as I type this and don't even know it's there...25 oz revolver at about the price of the Taurus...

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=6801.msg82891#msg82891

Bigcat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
Don't rule out the Charter Arms. They make a good product for the price. You can also get a small framed carry gun in 44 Special. I have been using a 38 charter and a 44 Bulldog for over 25 years.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:10:48 AM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:18:03 AM »
On a budget?

Taurus: Reliable, affordable, concealable.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

charliefarmerboy33

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
I love my Taurus.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said.

Bill Stryker

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »
I like my S&W M36 with square butt. They don't make the j frame in square butt any more. I have had mine since 1968, The border patrol modified it for me by bobbing the hammer and further smoothing an already smooth DA trigger. I have no complaints. It is a nice pocket gun. BTW it is all steel.

Green Mountain Gringo

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:14:25 AM »
I say the Taurus simply because of the three choices it's .357 over .38 spl....I assume you meant the LCR not the LCP....

Did you mean LCR?  This is a great feeling gun though I've only held it and not shot it.  However, most any of these apart from the Taurus are going to be on the high end if your budget is restrictive.

The Charter Arms solution mentioned earlier should be considered as well, nice little pocket guns.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 05:39:01 AM »
none of the above....

a older colt dective.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk