Author Topic: CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters  (Read 30133 times)

tombogan03884

Re: CCW..Recommendations on calibers and holsters
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Nope, but as you said, you can go the other way. A gunwriter friend should be getting one of S&W's .327 offerings by summer's end and I plan to give it a test run. As I have a substantial quantity of .32 H&R mag. rounds, it may prove to be a natural upgrade for me. To address the "stopping power" issue; the .32 H&R mag. is capable of punching a hole through a 1" oak board. Like a really smart old gun guy used to tell me; if you're capable of making head shots under duress at 20 yds; the size of the bb doesn't much matter. But, as previously mentioned, everyone's mileage will vary.

With Ruger and Charter that will make 3 manufacturers producing pistols in this caliber, that will increase incentive for ammo makers to make the ammo more available and make it a more viable SD choice.

Timothy

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
The .327 Federal has some impressive numbers and losing .045" in diameter vs. the .357 ain't giving up much.  Yea, a little mass loss too but the 1300 fps and 434 lbs ME from a 3" barrel are pretty stout!  It's worth a look!  I'd carry that over a .380 or 9 x 19 any day!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
The .327 Federal has some impressive numbers and loosing .045" in diameter vs. the .357 ain't giving up much.  Yea, a little mass loss too but the 1300 fps and 434 lbs ME from a 3" barrel are pretty stout!  It's worth a look!  I'd carry that over a .380 or 9 x 19 any day!

there is no replacement for displacement.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »
The .327 Federal has some impressive numbers and loosing .045" in diameter vs. the .357 ain't giving up much.  Yea, a little mass loss too but the 1300 fps and 434 lbs ME from a 3" barrel are pretty stout!  It's worth a look!  I'd carry that over a .380 or 9 x 19 any day!

More manufacturers getting into the game decreases my only objection to it, 6 instead of 5 in a J frame size package is a plus.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
Sorry fyresarge, guess I did not answer correctly. I carry a Glock 21 SF, .45 ACP with a Blackhawk Serpa Holster. If I need something more compact, I do have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c that I also use a Blackhawk Serpa Holster with.

My wife carries the Ruger LCP .380 with Desanti's IWB holster.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:18:45 PM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »
Man o man Fyre Sarge,
This is a tough can of worms to open. So much comes down to personal choice.

I'm from Texas so I usually need something that I can carry in HOT weather, probably very similar to South Georgia.
I would say .380 acp as a minimum. Don't let anyone tell you that a .380 with modern defense ammo is an inadequate mouse gun. I've personally seen patients come into the Emergency Department with .380 wounds and leave the E.D. by way of the coroner.

Good force on force training and proper shot placement make the difference. I'm sure that if you are a fireman/EMT you have seen the damage that most calibers can do.

I'm personally a fan of the many 9mm sub-compacts that are available today. I usually carry a Walther PPS in 9mm on most days. See www.waltheramerica.com  I also carry a 380 on occasion and even a full size 1911 or 357 magnum from time to time. Right now I just personally prefer a 9mm sub-compact for power/size/comfort/reliability.

Other great 9mm sub-compacts include the Springfield XD sub-compact, Glock 26, Rohrbaugh, Para PDA 9mm, Kahr Arms many 9mm models and many, many more. I would highly recommend finding a local range that has a large variety of guns that they will allow you to try (most ranges that offer training classes for concealed carry have loaners). Try out as many as you can and find the gun that you are the most comfortable with and the most proficient with. Then buy it and train, train and train some more.

Good luck and stay safe.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

JSC3ATLCSO

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »
Man o man Fyre Sarge,
This is a tough can of worms to open. So much comes down to personal choice.

I'm from Texas so I usually need something that I can carry in HOT weather, probably very similar to South Georgia.
I would say .380 acp as a minimum. Don't let anyone tell you that a .380 with modern defense ammo is an inadequate mouse gun. I've personally seen patients come into the Emergency Department with .380 wounds and leave the E.D. by way of the coroner.

Good force on force training and proper shot placement make the difference. I'm sure that if you are a fireman/EMT you have seen the damage that most calibers can do.

I'm personally a fan of the many 9mm sub-compacts that are available today. I usually carry a Walther PPS in 9mm on most days. See www.waltheramerica.com  I also carry a 380 on occasion and even a full size 1911 or 357 magnum from time to time. Right now I just personally prefer a 9mm sub-compact for power/size/comfort/reliability.

Other great 9mm sub-compacts include the Springfield XD sub-compact, Glock 26, Rohrbaugh, Para PDA 9mm, Kahr Arms many 9mm models and many, many more. I would highly recommend finding a local range that has a large variety of guns that they will allow you to try (most ranges that offer training classes for concealed carry have loaners). Try out as many as you can and find the gun that you are the most comfortable with and the most proficient with. Then buy it and train, train and train some more.

Good luck and stay safe.

Glad to see other people with Walthers.  I have a collection.  ;D ;D

FyreSarge

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »
Thanks for all the input so far.
Since I already own .38s, 9mms, and 40 S&Ws, I'm going with one of those calibers and IWB holster. I am also very interested in the Crimson Trace lasergrip. I just need to narrow down the mfgs to what I feel is "mine".
There is a show coming to Valdosta,GA June 20-21, so I can get my hands around all of the ones I'm interested in, and maybe a price I can also handle.
I guess I could sell some of my bigger pistols.......NAW, Ain't gonna happen  ;D  
Sarge

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1079
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »
Hot dang, another south Georgia member (I'm in Tift county).....take us a while to catch all the Texas fellers on here.    ;D

As to CCW down here, I usually go with Glock 27 in a Blackhawk SERPA OWB. I also use a leather beltslide.
Winter i sometimes go with Commander 1911 .45 ACP in a Ted Blocker IWB.

Welcome aboard.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:47 PM »
Hot dang, another south Georgia member (I'm in Tift county).....take us a while to catch all the Texas fellers on here.    ;D

As to CCW down here, I usually go with Glock 27 in a Blackhawk SERPA OWB. I also use a leather beltslide.
Winter i sometimes go with Commander 1911 .45 ACP in a Ted Blocker IWB.

Welcome aboard.

What we need on this board, Peg is a few Georgia Peaches.  ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk