Author Topic: Saiga/AK legality and optics Help!  (Read 11347 times)

Badgersmilk

Re: Saiga/AK legality and optics Help!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
Good advice.  But "get a better lawyer" is much easier to say than do!  Those F'ers dont work cheap!  And dont give discounts because you were in the right to do what you did.  I have to admit I dont have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around just in case something like this happens.  Dont think the average person here does either.  The quality of your lawyer will also depend on where you live.  I know I couldnt afford to fly a better one into town.  And got the best I could find that would work for the the thousands it cost me just to get him (why I'm not in jail today).

Dont forget the procecuting attorney has as much say as anyone on who's going to be in your jury.  Will he pick soccer moms, an office workers he knows have never held a gun before, and are afraid of them...  YEP.  Then he knows once he says "your obviously a premedative nut for owning, training with, and using military style firearms" that image is now in the jury's minds.  Along with him standing there as close to them as he can with your "threatening looking gun in his hands".  Your lawyer objecting to his comments isnt going to just erase whats now in their heads.

How the law SHOULD work.  And how if DOES work...  All I can tell you is what I saw first hand.  What I learned is our legal system exists to make money anyway they can.  Guilt or inocosence has damn little to do with any of it.  

Did I overhear a conversation about my case, & where my lawyer talked to the judge about playing golf that evening?  Yes.  Should I have had to go to court at all?  No.  Could I have easily been convicted and got locked up.  No dought in my mind!

I know what I saw.  How things "SHOULD" be has nothing to do with our legal system.  Everyones free to imagin how things will happen to "them" though.  Good luck!  & Best wishes.  Your free to get yourself into as much trouble as you can afford to get out of.

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:22 PM »
Check here for the AK XS. I have one on mine and I like it. (You'll need the sight tool from Tapco to push the front sight barrel.)
http://xssights.com/store/specialty.html

Check here for the Docter Optic Red Dot from LaRue. Type in  AK-IronDot  and it comes up.
http://larue.com/

You'll need a Campy Sight Tool to change the rear sight out. Easy to use.
http://redstararms.com/

Now go have fun!

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »
http://www.thecountryshed.com/ak47_scope_mounts.htm

Something along the lines of this with a red dot.
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:23 PM »
I don't think I'd want to replace my upper recever with a thirty dollar part. There are quad rail foregrips, from $40-90,that seem like a safer bet for a red dot.
FQ13

brosometal

• Top Forum Member
  • Still a Grade A 1 smart donkey! DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »
I couldn't find what I was looking for.  I've seen it in person.  It's the top part of the receiver with a picatinny rail on it.  That was the best I could find on short notice to give an idea.
The person who has nothing for which his is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J.S. Mill

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:59:17 PM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
I couldn't find what I was looking for.  I've seen it in person.  It's the top part of the receiver with a picatinny rail on it.  That was the best I could find on short notice to give an idea.
And thanks for looking. Right now, I'm just trying to play the 922r compliance game. Have I mentioned how much I hate that stupid reg? I really don't want to change a thing on the saiga (minus may some optics and a quick mod to take standard AK mags). Its just fine as is. However, to be legal, I've ordered this silly looking M-4 style stock with a pistol grip just because its easy to install and counts as 2 compliant parts. I relly prefer the sporter look, I just want to use high caps. AAAARGH! >:(
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 01:59:45 AM »
I don't think I'd want to replace my upper recever with a thirty dollar part. There are quad rail foregrips, from $40-90,that seem like a safer bet for a red dot.
FQ13

That "upper receiver" is nothing but a sheet metal cover for the moving parts. But if you WANT to spend 3X the money for plastic, hey, it's your money.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:07:56 AM »
That "upper receiver" is nothing but a sheet metal cover for the moving parts. But if you WANT to spend 3X the money for plastic, hey, it's your money.
Actually Tom, you're the man to ask, being a machinist. My concern is about the closeness of the fit and whether that will lead to slop. If this is an unfounded concern, I'm happy. I just was a bit sucpicious about poor fit and poor material quality. You worked for SIG,I'd appreciate your insight.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
Actually Tom, you're the man to ask, being a machinist. My concern is about the closeness of the fit and whether that will lead to slop. If this is an unfounded concern, I'm happy. I just was a bit sucpicious about poor fit and poor material quality. You worked for SIG,I'd appreciate your insight.
FQ13

The shape of it and the way the front locks in should hold it reasonably stable. The round top and that step on the left side should lock it into position.
If the mounting screws holes are all the way through the metal make sure your mounting screws do not interfere with moving parts, they can be shortened with a file or grinder, but make sure you deburr them or they will not work.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 08:54:19 AM »
My suggestion would be to stick with the forarm mount.  If you attach anything to, or mount anything over the sheet metal receiver cover your going to have to re-zero everytime you take the gun apart for cleaning...   :(

NICE!:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk