Author Topic: What shot size for home defense?  (Read 31750 times)

long762range

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What shot size for home defense?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »

What?
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.  If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Paraguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »
I am kinda' scracthin my head on that reply as well, but then again, I ain't that smart.
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
Spammer

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 02:13:06 PM »
Seeing what #8 does to 4-legged pests at close range (NOT MUCH), my HD shotgun has #4 turkey as a minimum and mostly 00 and slug on/in it.

I live in the country and need a Barrett to hit the neighbors, but my house is small enough that not even #8 would dissipate fast enough before it could find a kids' bedroom. 

My answer (thanks to TBD) is to go to ground and put the misses and (hopefully) overpenetrations in the ceiling.
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »
Lightfield 2 3/4 Sabot slug with a 7/8 oz slug for my 20 gauge Remington 870. Same type of round, also from Lightfield for my 12 gauge Remington 870. If it can put down a deer, I am sure it will put down a bad guy.  ;D

And yes, I will monitor what is behind the threat I may be shooting at.

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:12:46 PM »

Badgersmilk

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »
Those flechette rounds have always had me curious. I know they used them in Viet Nam. Anyone ever heard how useful they are?

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
Those flechette rounds have always had me curious. I know they used them in Viet Nam. Anyone ever heard how useful they are?

Not very well, that's why the military doesn't use them now

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:36 PM »
To quote Mas Ayoob, save them and the Dragons Breath for Halloween. I mean, small light darts shot out of a smooth bore? It sounds like one of those weapos that got Bevis and Butthead excited in the lab, but in the  field, I'd expect most guys carried buck shot.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
To quote Mas Ayoob, save them and the Dragons Breath for Halloween. I mean, small light darts shot out of a smooth bore? It sounds like one of those weapos that got Bevis and Butthead excited in the lab, but in the  field, I'd expect most guys carried buck shot.
FQ13

The 155 and 105 howitzer shells in a direct fire mode worked pretty good for breaking up "human wave" attacks by the Viets, but Civil war era canister or conventional buck shot would have worked just as well with out the R&D expense. To say nothing of the manufacturing costs as opposed to conventional shot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk