Author Topic: Beretta 96 to 357sig conversion.  (Read 14662 times)

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beretta 96 to 357sig conversion.
« on: August 08, 2009, 04:09:07 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a Fire Dragon barrel to convert my Beretta 96 from .40 S&W to .357 Sig.  Can anyone give me any input on Fire Dragon barrels, the conversion, or any personal experience with this sort of thing? 

I did a quick scan at the Beretta forum and nothing about it jumped out - maybe I didn't dig deep enough.  I am a little concerned about it handling the additional pressure.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Beretta 96 to 357sig conversion.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:27:10 PM »
Found some good reviews on the Glock 40 to .357Sig, as well as the Sig conversion as well, couldn't find anything on the Beretta.

Seems like a nice "change up", I have two .40's, an M+P and EAA Witness compensated, I would be interested if a "drop in barrel"

and simple change of Mag could be feasible. Ammo prices,..well they suck, as we know, but I have always like the ballistics of the .357 Sig, and it would be a nice option.

Others probably know more, I will be interested if it works out for your Beretta.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
After some deep dives I was able to find this on the Beretta sight
We do not offer a 357 Sig barrel for the Model 92/96 Series.  The 357 Sig cartridge develops 15% higher pressures than the 40 S&W.  Beretta does not recommend this type of conversion.

Part of me is saying "Well, so much for that idea." 

While another part is saying "15%?  The gun ought to be overbuilt enough to handle that.  It's not like I'm going to be putting thousands upon thousands of rounds through it." 

I don't know which one I'm gong to end up listening to. 

So what do you think might be the result of the overpressure over time?  Cracked slide?  The barrel should take it since it was designed for 357sig. 

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »
The barrel should take it no problem as it is chambered for the round, the ugly BUT, is the slide assembly, firing pin, and ejector being "right there" when a round is fired.

Standard Manufacturing lingo is, "use it as is", those of us that want to think outside the envelope are than second guessing the safety and reliability.

SAAMI has the .357 Sig at 40,000 CUP, the .40 S&W at 35,000

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

Maybe Beretta doesn't feel comfortable with a 5000 CUP difference on its Model 92/96...

I don't know if handloading would make a difference on pressures.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
I would follow the manufacturer's advice and stay away from it.  If the DA/SA pistol is your pick, stick with the Sig P series in the caliber 357 Sig.  The P226 would be my choice were I so inclined.  The SP2022 is good too if it fits the hand. 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:29:17 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk