Author Topic: Single action for self-defense?  (Read 18781 times)

Jonny Gib

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Single action for self-defense?
« on: November 06, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »
What are the legal issues one might encounter if you use a single action revolver in a self-defense situation?  I have read it is best to use a double action only revolver for self-defense because of issues that might ariise in court.

tombogan03884

Re: Single action for self-defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
Use what you have. You have to be alive to care about legal ramifications.
Where Single Action is seen as an issue is not from the Legal view point, after all, it's a cowboy gun, like John Wayne used.
There are however SAFETY concerns with a cocked pistol that has no safety, any flinch or stumble has the potential to launch a bullet in an unintended direction.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
Sure beats not having anything!  But there's A LOT out there that beats a single action.  Kinda on the BIG side for CCW.

Saw a guy do a quick draw with a Ruger Blackhawk and shoot an apple in a quarter of a second the other day...  Don't know anybody who's gonna beat that with anything else.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »
Use what you have. You have to be alive to care about legal ramifications.
Where Single Action is seen as an issue is not from the Legal view point, after all, it's a cowboy gun, like John Wayne used.
There are however SAFETY concerns with a cocked pistol that has no safety, any flinch or stumble has the potential to launch a bullet in an unintended direction.

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

this might be a good question for MB to have in his CCW  video's that he is doing up at the moment
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »
 Phil, I just posted what I have heard from MB and Tom Gresham  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:45:59 AM »

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Phil, I just posted what I have heard from MB and Tom Gresham  ;D

yea I have heard them both say that, 

what I was meaning is for him to include it in the DVD he was talking about as I have heard it mentioned a few times in the past
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »
I've seen folks who could shoot SA's faster than a 1911.....hell, Jesse Abbate's dad shoots steel plate matches with a pair of SA's instead of DA revolvers or self-loaders.

The kicker to the thing, regarding SD, is reloading in a 'time of crisis'.....that is the SA's weakest point....IMHO.

It all boils down to what you have and what you can do with it.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
I've seen folks who could shoot SA's faster than a 1911.....hell, Jesse Abbate's dad shoots steel plate matches with a pair of SA's instead of DA revolvers or self-loaders.

The kicker to the thing, regarding SD, is reloading in a 'time of crisis'.....that is the SA's weakest point....IMHO.

Uncle Walt Rausch always says "If the first 5 rounds didn't solve it, what makes you think 5 more will?"  ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »
Uncle Walt Rausch always says "If the first 5 rounds didn't solve it, what makes you think 5 more will?"  ;)

That's what I was gettin' to with:

;D  ;D  ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
OOPS, sorta missed that!

Damn dirty glasses!  (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. ;D )
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk