Author Topic: Single action for self-defense?  (Read 18782 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Single action for self-defense?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
JG,

I have never heard or read anything about it being bad to use a single action as far as the law and court.  In fact I would think (JMO) that it would look better for you.  Heck it's just an old cowboy / hunting gun.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
JG,

I have never heard or read anything about it being bad to use a single action as far as the law and court.  In fact I would think (JMO) that it would look better for you.  Heck it's just an old cowboy / hunting gun.

Being a "cowboy" could be a bad thing
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
Tell that to the people who grew up watching JW and Roy Rodgers.

Jonny Gib

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »
Have read that even law enforcement agencies in the past had to switch to DAO guns due to issues in court. Heard you should never cock the hammer back on a DA revolver in SD situation. If you did, would it not just be like a single action. Why would it matter? Is it because of the prosecutors and liability? Is this even an issue to worry about? Thanks

tombogan03884

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »
According to Ayoob cocked makes it less safe and you did it on purpose

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 05:51:14 AM »

Jonny Gib

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 11:26:24 PM »
If you pull your gun on somebody it better be a life or death situation, anyway, so why would it matter? Am I diggin too deep here or should I just not worry about this?

tombogan03884

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 01:42:20 AM »
Because if you are investigating a noise during the night you do not know if you are in a situation at all, walking around with a cocked pistol in the dark you could very well trip over something and wind up shooting your self or another family member.
Don't worry about it Jonny, If all you have is a Single action that's what you use, if you have a DA/SA get used to firing it double action, cocking it to fire single action is more appropriate to bullseye shooting where the light trigger pull aids pinpoint accuracy, where as when facing an assailant you have a target area about (face on ) 10 inches by 10 inches at much closer range.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 07:12:38 AM »
booger hook off bang switch, whether SA or any other weapon. remember that your family pet, one of your kids, or spouses might come around a corner, and a startled reflex may lead to a tragedy.

Have a plan. If you have a house full, ie, wife, kids, pets, you need to really concentrate on the most lethal weapon in the house:

Your brain.
  Involve them in what you will do in the event a window is broken, a door is pried open, something goes "bump" in the night.

The layout of your house apt. condo, townhome, etc,.. kids on one side, you on the other, etc,...

Since it gets darker earlier now, turn the lights off, and with an UNLOADED firearm, (repeat UNLOADED), "tactically" sweep your house. Defensive positions, possible points a BG would enter, exterior walls, interior adjoining bedrooms, etc,...

Where would you make your last stand? Where's your cell phone? Where's your family?

A lot to consider. If it's just you, than it's different.

JMHO and .02cents.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
Being busy I haven't been able to follow everything real in depth, but I have skimmed these pages and am going to jump in anyway - Forgive me if I repeat someone.

Single action / double action doesn't matter in the real world.  If a prosecutor is going to take issue with a single action, he will find something wrong with any gun you use.  Remember that their job is to get you one way or another whether it makes sense or not.

A 1911 is a single action gun, and I haven't heard anywhere that we shouldn't use them  ::)

Someone else said "keep your buger hook off the bang switch."  That is the most important with any gun - single or double.  Guns are as safe as their operators, so use what you are good with and can trust your life to.  Don't worry about the litigation, because even if you don't carry or do anything they will sue you for not stopping the guy before he goes after someone else ... damn lawyers!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »
Because if you are investigating a noise during the night you do not know if you are in a situation at all, walking around with a cocked pistol in the dark you could very well trip over something and wind up shooting your self or another family member.

Then why walk around with it cocked? SAA's are designed to be cocked quickly either with one hand or two, and cocking a SAA takes as much time as taking the thumb safety off a 1911.

Adapt your tactics to your equipment....
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk