Author Topic: Winchester 1300 gunsmith question  (Read 3060 times)

huntnelk

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 1300 gunsmith question
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
Im trying to swith my 1300 with a 28" barrel into one with a 20" with an extended mag tube.  I got a short barrel and tube from a 1200 defender and can't figure out how to remove the tube. A gunsmith said it has to be pressed into the reciever to remove a plastic bushing that holds the tube in place, then reversed to install the new one.  Only one problem, i cant make the old tube move.  Any ideas that dont involve just buying a new scatter gun or going to a gunsmith?  Im not ready to give up yet.  Thanks for any ideas. ???

tombogan03884

Re: Winchester 1300 gunsmith question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »
If it needs to be pressed leave it alone or your only choices will be buy a new Shot gun or do with out.
I would wait and see what M25Operator has to say, he's "The Man" for these type questions.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
I have not actually worked on one of these but did find this for you.

The "CORRECT" way to remove the mag tube.

The mag tube must be driven back into the receiver.

It is not pinned, it is pressed in.

Put the end cap on the mag tube and use a rubber hammer to drive it back into the receiver. Drive it back about 3/4 to 1 inch. ( it is very tight and will take several blows to drive it back )

Then the plastic part that is around the back of the tube inside the receiver will come off.

It can have 2 different types of plastic thing.

There is a 1 peice design that screws into the tube, if it has this type, you will turn the tube to unscrew the plastic part from the tube.

If it has a 2 piece plastic part, you will simply pull out the parts one at a time, one from the top and one from the bottom.

Once the plastic has been removed, the mag tube will come out the front of the receiver, but it's not easy, it is a press fit.

Putting it back is even harder than getting it out. I have done a 1300 and a 1400. I pulled mine out so I could refinish the guns.

When I put mine back in, I got the plastic feed throte put back in place and I held onto the mag tube with the gun pointed down and would bang the front of the receiver against my work bench (carpet covered wood) and it worked like a slide hammer. It took 20 or 30 hard blows to get it seated back into the receiver.

This is a link to a schematic. It appears that the mag tube is to be pushed back into the receiver to allow removal of 90, 91 and 92. They appear to work like valve stem keepers on automotive engine valves.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=355/schematicsdetail/Model_120_1300

I hope this helps.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

huntnelk

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
Thank you m25operator for the info this is just what I was wondering.  I guess I will give it a try and see what happens.  Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk